Try: Nyquil Cold & Flu
Sometimes, above all, you just need a good nights sleep. NyQuil packs a powerful punch, using dextromethorphan to keep coughing at bay and acetaminophen to soothe sore throat, headache, and/or fever. While antihistamines generally arent recommended to treat cold symptoms, in this case, the drowsy effect will help get you to sleep.
Which Sinus Headache Medicine Should I Use
If you notice pain or pressure behind your eyes around your sinuses, you may be suffering from a sinus headache. Frequent sinus headaches are certainly a cause for concern, and if you find yourself constantly congested, you should visit an ENT to discover the real root of the problem.
However, in the meantime, you can turn to over-the-counter drugs for a bit of temporary relief. Below, well discuss the three common types of sinus headache medicine and how they can help.
Mucinex Nightshift Sinus 6 Fl Oz Relieves Fever Sore Throat Runny Nose Sneezing
- Both formulas help relieve sinus pressure and sinus congestion, and nasal congestion due to the common cold, hay fever, or upper respiratory allergies.
- 20-count of sudafed pe sinus congestion day + night maximum strength decongestant tablets to temporarily relieve sinus pressure and sinus congestion for both day and night.
- From the #1 pharmacist recommended brand among oral otc decongestants, this maximum-strength formula can be used by adults and children 12 years and older for powerful relief.
- Each multi-pack contains 20 tablets of nasal decongestant, with 12 daytime and 8 nighttime tablets for powerful symptom relief throughout the day and while you sleep.
- Each daytime and nighttime dose contains 10 milligrams of the nasal decongestant phenylephrine hcl and each nighttime dose also contains 25 milligrams of the antihistamine diphenhydramine hcl.
Recommended Reading: What Can Cure A Sinus Infection
Prescription Medicine For Post
If over-the-counter medications do not clear up your post-nasal drip, you may need a prescription medication from your medical provider.
If they believe your post-nasal drip is caused by a bacterial infection, they will write a prescription for an antibiotic.
Take the antibiotic as directed and complete the whole course even if your sinuses appear to clear up before you are done.
Not completing the course could allow the infection to come back.
If your medical provider believes you have a viral infection, antibiotics will not help.
Instead, they may order prescription steroids, antihistamines, or decongestants.
Other Ways To Unclog Ears
- Use a humidifier or inhale steam to treat sinus inflammation and pressure.
- Apply a warm washcloth or covered heating pad against the ear.
- Blow through one nostril while blocking the other.
- Drink plenty of water or other fluids to thin out nasal mucus.
- Avoid caffeine, tobacco, alcohol, and high-sodium foods to prevent worsening of congestion
- Check for wax buildup.
Dont Miss: Best Relief For Sinus Infection
Recommended Reading: Most Effective Antibiotic For Sinus Infection
Related Resources For Sinus Infections
* Prescription savings vary by prescription and by pharmacy, and may reach up to 80% off cash price.
Pharmacy names, logos, brands, and other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
This article is not medical advice. It is intended for general informational purposes and is not meant to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. If you think you may have a medical emergency, immediately call your physician or dial 911.
You May Like: Can An Infection In Your Tooth Spread
Tips To Prevent Sinus Infections
In order to avoid ear pain and temporary hearing loss due to clogged ears as a result of sinus infections one must prevent sinus infections. Here are some tips to help you prevent sinus infections and avoid the complications associated with it.
- Control your allergies.
- Take a nasal spray or decongestant prior to flying.
- Dont smoke, which can aggravate sinusitis, or quit smoking.
These tips can better help protect you against sinus infections. If you do develop a sinus infection, begin treatment right away to reduce complications.
Related: Facts about sinus headaches
Mohan Garikiparithi got his degree in medicine from Osmania University . He practiced clinical medicine for over a decade before he shifted his focus to the field of health communications. During his active practice he served as the head of the Dept. of Microbiology in a diagnostic centre in India. On a three-year communications program in Germany, Mohan developed a keen interest in German Medicine , and other alternative systems of medicine. He now advocates treating different medical conditions without the use of traditional drugs. An ardent squash player, Mohan believes in the importance of fitness and wellness.
You May Like: Best Medication To Stop Sinus Drainage
Things To Consider When Buying An Ear Decongestant
It can be hard to find the best decongestant for ears because some viable options dont readily state that purpose on their packaging. Because of this, its important that you learn what makes a good ear decongestant to help you pinpoint which products you can use even if they dont necessarily explicitly state it on their labels.
Here are some things you should keep in mind when buying ear decongestants to get the best value for your money and the best relief for your ears.
- All Around Decongestants. The reason why you tend to feel increased pressure in your ears when you have a cold is because of the Eustachian tube. This small canal connects your nasal cavities and throat to your middle ear. The purpose of this tube is to normalize the pressure in your ear so that its equal to the pressure outside of the body.
When you have an overproduction of mucus, this tube can easily become clogged as well because of its connections to the throat and nasal cavities. That said, if you resolve the congestion in your nose and throat, you can indirectly address the discomfort in your ears as well.
For that reason, many of the decongestant medications available on the market can also easily resolve ear congestion. While this isnt explicitly stated on many of their labels, they do perform this function as a positive outcome of their original purpose.
These products come in many different forms, but the most common include:
Sinus Infection Medication For Bacterial Causes
Bacterial sinus infections are caused by large amounts of foreign bacteria creating colonies in the sinuses, causing inflammation and infection. This happens when you touch your nose, eyes, or ears too often without washing your hands frequently.
There are several bacterial infections that may result in a sinus infection if symptoms worsen over time.
If over-the-counter medications are not working, you may need to seek a prescription for antibiotics as a sinus infection medication. Luckily, our sister site PlushCare gives you access to top doctors who can write prescriptions for many medications, including antibiotics for sinusitismake an appointment through PlushCare to get started.
Read Also: Best Liquid Medicine For Sinus Infection
How To Choose A Otc Med For Sinus Infection
To choose the perfect otc med for sinus infection, youll want to:
- Do you want what type of product? Are you buying a product?
- Measure the space: Theres nothing worse than falling in love with otc med for sinus infection only to discover it wont fit!
- Think about aesthetics: Does colour matter to you?
- Read reviews and talk with friends: Knowledge is power! Other otc med for sinus infection users can be a helpful source of information about how well a mat holds up and whether there are any downsides, which you should know before purchasing.
- Do some bargain shopping: Coupons and sales can help you save money, so you can spend it on something else youd enjoy.
Is The Best Over The Counter Sinus Decongestant Right For Your Needs
The question that you have to ask yourself before buying any of the best over the counter sinus decongestant is whether or not they will suit your needs. Besides, you must clearly define what your needs and purposes are. From there, you can choose the best product and serve it according to your requirements.
Recommended Reading: Best Medication For Sinus Pressure Headache
What Is The Best Medicine For Sinus Pressure
Treating sinus pressure often requires more than one medicine. For example, you may combine a decongestant with a pain reliever to reduce swelling and relieve pain at the same time. Since there are different causes of sinus pressure, the best medicine for will vary for each individual.
If your symptoms do not respond to over the counter treatment options, your doctor may order you a prescription nasal steroid sprays. If your congestion is a result of a bacterial infection, you may be prescribed antibiotics.
Experiencing sinus pressure symptoms? Book an appointment with a PlushCare physician and get started with treatment today.
You May Like: Sinus Pressure Points On Feet
When To Seek Medical Care
See a doctor if you have:
- Severe symptoms, such as severe headache or facial pain.
- Symptoms that get worse after improving.
- Symptoms lasting more than 10 days without getting better.
- Fever longer than 3-4 days.
You should also seek medical care if you have had multiple sinus infections in the past year.
This list is not all-inclusive. Please see a doctor for any symptom that is severe or concerning.
Other conditions can cause symptoms similar to a sinus infection, including:
- Seasonal allergies
You May Like: Does Vicks Help With Sinus Infection
How Can You Tell If You Have Chronic Sinusitis
Does it feel like your sinus infection just wont quit? If you experience at least two of the following for 12 weeks or more even though youve been treated it may be chronic sinusitis:
- Discharge of mucus or postnasal drip
- Pain or pressure in your face
- Problems with smell
Chronic sinus infections can be triggered by colds but are typically caused by long-term inflammation. Sometimes, when treatments to control that inflammation fail, people with chronic sinusitis need surgery to drain their mucus.
Fever And Pain Reducers
If you have a fever and/or pain, take two acetaminophen tablets. After four hours, if you still have pain or fever, take two ibuprofen tablets. You can rotate these every four hours.
Valdez said it is very important to be careful when combining all these medicines to make sure you are not doubling up on a single agent. Some of these medications may contain a lower dose of any of the above mentioned agents, so check the labels carefully.
Remember those agents are: acetaminophen or ibuprofen for fever/pain, dextromethorphan for cough and pseudoephedrine or phenylephrine and guaifenesin for decongestants and expectorants.
Lastly, Valdez said to keep the following in mind:
- If you have a fever, do not go into work or school you should be fever free for 24 hours.
- Rest is the best medicine. Let the virus run its course if your body is run down it will take it longer to fight off the infection.
- To prevent sinus infections, get a flu shot , wash your hands often and cover your cough and sneeze.
A Note On Antihistamines
While antihistamines like chlorpheniramine and diphenhydramine can treat sneezing, runny nose, and watery eyes, theyre intended to treat those symptoms when theyre caused by allergies. If you have a cold or a sinus infection, antihistamines may make it more difficult to treat, says Dr. Tweel. I havent found them to be significant in my practice. Plus, theres a teaching you shouldnt use antihistamines for a cold.
Natural Remedies For Sinus Congestion
When youre feeling stuffed up and miserable, getting to the drugstore seems almost impossible. Fortunately for you, there are a number of home remedies for sinus congestion relief, heres three:
1. Humidity:Keeping your nasal passages moist when youre experiencing sinus congestion may help to relieve that stuffy feeling. To do this, apply a warm, wet towel against your face or run hot water in the shower to unblock the sinuses. You could also use a humidifier for the same purpose.
2. Neti pot: A neti pot looks like a miniature teapot with a long spout. With the help of saline or a saltwater solution, these tiny nasal irrigation devices are used to treat congested sinuses, allergies, and the common cold. You can purchase a neti pot online or at your nearest health food or drugstore. Note of caution: Tap water isnt safe to use as its not filtered or treated and may contain material that could cause infection or irritation.
3. Aromatherapy: Aromatherapy is a holistic healing treatment that uses essential oils to reduce pain or improve sleep. While theres still research that needs to be done, some studies suggest specific essential oils may relieve symptoms of sinus congestion. According to the National Association for Holistic Aromatherapy , 1,8 cineole, the main component of eucalyptus oil, has been proven to clear airways of mucus and is a natural cough suppressant.
Recommended Reading: Breathe Sinus And Lungs Pills Side Effects
Others Ways Of Avoiding And Minimizing Sinus Problems
Except those best sinus medicines mentioned above, there are many other effective home remedies that help you alleviate sinus discomforts.
Can You Take Sinus Decongestants If You Have High Blood Pressure
Phenylephrine is not considered to be safe if you have high blood pressure. Sinus decongestants that contain pseudoephedrine may actually raise your blood pressure and counteract the blood pressure medication that youre on. If you have high blood pressure, you should speak with your doctor about which decongestant they recommend for you.
You May Like: Remedies For Sinus Congestion And Pressure
Sign And Symptoms Of Sinus Infection While Breastfeeding:
As a nursing mom, you may already find yourself tired sometimes, especially when your baby is a newborn and still getting him settled into a sleep routine. Sinusitis, on top of that , and youre downright exhausted. Other symptoms of sinusitis generally include pressure and pain in the face and head, along with a stuffy or runny nose. Drainage out the nose or down the throat is additionally common.
Sinus can even cause dangerous impacts on breathing, teeth pain, headache and may affect your sense of smell or taste. Some folks have a cough and fever with a sinus infection. You just need to consult with your doctor if you have these kinds of symptoms while breastfeeding your baby so you can learn the best way to treat your illness ensuring to your baby safe.
Does It Have A Good Build To Last For A Long Time
The durability of the otc medicine for sinus congestion can be affected by the materials used to make it and how well it is constructed. Make sure that it can withstand rough use and abuse without getting damaged. If it cannot withstand rough handling or use, then it is not durable at all and hence should not be bought by anyone who wants something that lasts long and has good quality!
Also Check: Treatment For Sinus Headache And Pressure
Also Check: Will Infrared Sauna Help Sinus Infection
Is It Anaphylaxis
- Hives and itching all over
- Wheezing or shortness of breath
- Hoarseness or tightness in the throat
- Swelling of the face, eyelids, lips, tongue, or throat
Tingling in the hands, feet, lips, or scalp
Anaphylaxis is life-threatening, so call 911 right away. If you have an epinephrine auto-injector, use it and repeat after 5 to 15 minutes if your symptoms havenât improved. Youâll still need medical care right after you give yourself the shots, even if your symptoms seem to stop, because a delayed reaction could still happen.
What Kicks It Off
If you have allergies, the passages of your nose and sinuses swell because theyre trying to flush out allergens. Thats just a technical word for anything youre allergic to, like pollen, mold, dust mites, and pet dander.
Sinusitis usually develops because of allergies or a cold. Sometimes, but not often, its from bacteria that cause an infection.
When you have allergies or a cold, your nose and sinuses get inflamed. That blocks mucus from draining, which can cause an infection not to mention pain and pressure.
If you have allergies, youre more likely to have sinus problems. Thats because the inside of your nose and sinuses often swell up when you breathe in triggers.
Dont Miss: Advil Cold And Sinus Age
You May Like: Sinus Pressure In Ears And Jaw