Stuffy And Runny Nose
Nonallergic rhinitis occurs when blood vessels in your nose expand , filling the nasal lining with blood and fluid. There are several possible causes of this abnormal expansion of the blood vessels or inflammation in the nose. But, whatever the trigger, the result is the same swollen nasal membranes and congestion.
Many things can trigger the nasal swelling in nonallergic rhinitis some resulting in short-lived symptoms while others cause chronic problems. Nonallergic rhinitis triggers include:
Environmental or occupational irritants. Dust, smog, secondhand smoke or strong odors, such as perfumes, can trigger nonallergic rhinitis. Chemical fumes, such as those you might be exposed to in certain occupations, also may be to blame.
Weather changes. Temperature or humidity changes can trigger the membranes inside your nose to swell and cause a runny or stuffy nose.
Infections. A common cause of nonallergic rhinitis is a viral infection a cold or the flu, for example. This type of nonallergic rhinitis usually clears up after a few weeks, but can cause lingering mucus in the throat . Sometimes, this type of rhinitis can become chronic, causing ongoing discolored nasal discharge, facial pain and pressure .
Foods and beverages. Nonallergic rhinitis may occur when you eat, especially when eating hot or spicy foods. Drinking alcoholic beverages also may cause the membranes inside your nose to swell, leading to nasal congestion.
The Best Medicine For Nagging Cough:
Cough suppressants, known as antitussives, inhibit the cough reflex in the brain. The common cough suppressant dextromethorphan can be found alone in products such as Robitussin Cough Gels and CVS Health Tussin Cough Liquid Gels, or in combination with other active ingredients as in Vicks Dayquil Cough and Delsym Adult DM Cough + Chest Congestion Relief Liquid.
Antihistamines block histamine, a chemical the body releases that triggers runny nose and watery eyes. Coughs can be caused by postnasal drip a trickle of mucus and other secretions that stimulates nerves in the back of the throat in which case drying up the source with an antihistamine is the best way to treat it, says Dr. Favini. Widely used brands include Benadryl Allergy & Cold and Actifed Cold.
Mucinex Nightshift Sinus 6 Fl Oz Relieves Fever Sore Throat Runny Nose Sneezing
- Use as directed.
- Usage information adults and children 12 years and older liquid 20 ml every 4 hours no more than 6 doses in any 24-hour period children under 12 years do not use.
- Fights your worst symptoms so you can sleep great and wake up human.
- Active ingredients mucinex nightshift sinus: acetaminophen 650 mg purpose pain reliever/fever reducer dextromethorphan hbr 20 mg purpose cough suppressant phenylephrine hcl 10 mg – nasal decongestant triprolidine hcl 2.5 mg purpose antihistamine.
- Mucinex nightshift sinus relieves headache, fever, body pain, sore throat, coughing, sneezing, runny nose, and nasal congestion.
- Money back guarantee is available for all mucinex nightshift products, for terms and conditions see the mucinex website..
Read Also: Relieve Sinus Pressure In Ears
Managing A Cold With Hypertension
If you cant take a decongestant because of high blood pressure, there are other ways to reduce your cold or allergy symptoms:
Take Coricidin HBP, which is free of decongestants
Drink plenty of fluids including water, juice, tea and soup to prevent dehydration and clear mucus from your lungs
Take a pain reliever such as Tylenol or Motrin for fever, sore throat, body aches and headache
Flush your sinuses with a saline spray to relieve nasal congestion
Soothe a sore or scratchy throat with lozenges
Use a vaporizer or humidifier if necessary to boost humidity
Get plenty of rest
Return to your doctor after five to seven days to make sure youre on the road to recovery
Also Check: Does Claritin D Raise Blood Pressure
How To Get Rid Of A Head Cold
A head cold is nothing but a common cold in which the symptoms are more focused around the head and in the sinuses.
In the case of a head cold, along with other common cold or flu symptoms like a runny and stuffy nose, sore throat, cough, chills and fever, you will also have a headache.
The reason you get a headache with a head cold is due to the release of molecules called cytokines. These molecules are released in relation to the bodys immune defense against viruses and are known to cause headaches.
On top of that, swelling and thick secretions accumulating in the sinus cavities also lead to headaches and sinus pain.
The symptoms of a head cold are usually at their worst during the first two to three days, before they gradually start to improve. In adults and older children, the symptoms usually last about seven to 10 days, but can go on longer. The symptoms can have a huge impact on your daily life.
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, adults get two or three colds each year, while kids can have eight or more annually .
Head colds are caused by several types of viruses, including rhinoviruses, human metapneumovirus , human parainfluenza virus and respiratory syncytial virus , to name a few.
The virus gets transmitted when an infected person sneezes or coughs, projecting droplets infected with the virus into the air or onto people around them.
Here are the top 10 ways to get rid of a head cold.
Don’t Miss: Best Things To Eat With Sinus Infection
Types Of Cough Medicine
Various medications can be used to treat cough and cold symptoms, but only a few of them can quickly treat the symptoms. Here are the main types:
- Cough suppressants block the cough reflex, making coughing less likely. Dextromethorphan is the most common active ingredient in cough suppressants. Cough suppressants should not be used if the cough is caused by smoking, emphysema, asthma, pneumonia, or chronic bronchitis. Antihistamines or decongestants can also dry the throat, making the mucus thicker and harder to move, resulting in a more severe cough.
- Expectorants loosen or thin the mucus in the chest, making it easier to cough it up. One popular example is guaifenesin. Drinking extra fluids can also help.
- Combination medicines contain a combination of expectorants, cough suppressants, and other active ingredients. They can include antihistamines, painkillers, and decongestants to treat multiple symptoms at once. To treat a cough from a common cold, a good choice is a cold medicine that contains both an antihistamine and a decongestant, as an antihistamine on its own may be ineffective.
Nonprescription Products To Avoid With Hypertension
W. Steven Pray, PhD, DPhBernhardt Professor, Nonprescription Products and DevicesCollege of Pharmacy, Southwestern Oklahoma State UniversityWeatherford, Oklahoma
Researchers have charted an alarming rise in the number of persons with hypertension. For example, the number rose by 30% from 1994 to 2000.1 The CDC estimated the percentage of noninstitutionalized adults aged 20 years and above with hypertension to be 32%.2 The number of ambulatory visits that have hypertension as the primary diagnosis is estimated to be 40.5 million.2 In 2006, there were 23,855 deaths due to hypertension, or 8 per 100,000 population.2
The National Institutes of Health has provided this hypertension advice for the lay public: Most of the time, high blood pressure can be controlled with medicine and lifestyle changes.3 Of course, this optimistic statement assumes that patients do not unknowingly take any action that would raise their blood pressure. For instance, some nonprescription medications may cause dangerous rises in blood pressure, and the labels reflect that danger by recommending that patients speak to a physician before using them. However, some patients ignore the labels completely. Others may choose to ask the pharmacist about the warning. For this reason, it is important for pharmacists to be aware of which products carry the warning and which alternative products may be recommended.
Also Check: Does Loratadine Raise Blood Pressure
Also Check: Medicine For Sinus Infection Prescription
Medications To Avoid If You Have High Blood Pressure
Blood pressure is best understood as the force of blood pressing against the walls of your arteries. A person can be diagnosed with high blood pressure, also called hypertension, when their blood pressure is consistently greater than 140/90 mm Hg.
When a persons blood pressure is too high, their hearts need to work harder which can cause serious damage to the arteries. Over time, uncontrolled high blood pressure increases the risk of heart disease, stroke and kidney disease.
Some medications can increase your blood pressure, so its important to be aware of which medications to avoid if your blood pressure is already elevated. If you are unsure of whether a medication might impact your current blood pressure state, your physician or pharmacist are the first resources you should consult. Often, they will be able to recommend an alternative product that will not affect your blood pressure.
Oral Nasal Decongestants
Oral nasal decongestants like Sudafed and Sudafed PE can increase blood pressure by elevating your heart rate and causing blood vessels to narrow, also known as vasoconstriction. Pseudoephedrine and phenylephedrine can also be found in many cold, cough and flu combination products. If you suffer from cold, cough or flu symptoms, try Coricidin HBP products.
Topical Nasal Decongestants
Topical Hemorrhoid Products
Concerned About Your Blood Pressure? Our experienced team can answer your questions. Find an available appointment today.
How To Choose Best Sinus Cold Medicine
Choosing the best product from its huge variety is difficult if you donât know the important factors to keep in mind while buying it. This buying guide consists of all the important factors that one should consider to pick the right one to meet his need.
Here are 7 effective tips to make you a smart customer-
You must have a clear idea about the purpose behind buying it. Once you determine your purpose it becomes easier to determine all other factors.
All products have some essential specifications. But you may need some extra or special features. If you have any special requirements then look for that special feature that can meet that requirement.The more feature you will add the more expensive it will be. Some features may require special maintenance. Sometimes people buy the sinus cold medicine with special features but donât take care of it properly and as a result, the longevity lessens.
3. Working Mechanism
If you are a newbie and donât know how it works I would suggest you check the working mechanism so that you can understand whether you can operate it or not or you may need help from some experienced persons.Experienced users often ignore the working mechanism as they are aware of it and that is ok. But you know the companies are always upgrading their product. So, I would suggest you check if any new feature is installed.
5. Warranty and After-Sale Service
7. Customer Reviews
Read Also: What Medicine Helps A Sinus Infection
Who Needs Medicine For Nasal Congestion
Who should use the best medicine for nasal congestion? If your blocked nose is due to allergies, then having a medicine to treat nasal congestion can offer you relief. Allergic reaction can trigger inflammation in your nasal passages that will make it difficult for you to breathe through your nose. In some instances, your nose starts running which can be uncomfortable especially when you are working. Taking medications can help speed up the healing process so you will be able to combat your congestion fast.
You can also use the best medicine for nasal congestion when your clogged nose is caused by a flu virus. Having a cold can be uncomfortable because, aside from having difficulty breathing, you will also have to contend with a funny voice and blowing your nose from time to time. Add to this the fact that your nose becomes red because of constant sneezing can be annoying too. With the right medication, you will feel relief from your nasal woes, so you will be able to focus on your work easily.
The best medicine for nasal congestion can be used too if you are suffering from sinusitis. Taking medication as soon as you experience signs of blockage in your nasal passageways can prevent your illness from becoming worse. Plus, you wont have to deal with breathing issues as you work or while you are sleeping. It is important that you choose the right product especially when you are taking other medicines to ensure that there are no side effects to worry about.
Sinus & Allergy Fast Acting Nasal Congestion Relief Spray Mucinex Sinus Max
- Long lasting: lasts up to 12 hours, through the day or night..
- Uses: temporarily relieves nasal congestion due to a cold, hay fever or other upper respiratory allergies.
- Key benefits: fast acting relief that lasts for up to 12 hours, non-drowsy and nasal congestion relief due to upper respiratory allergies or hay fever..
- What is it: this nasal spray provides targeted nasal congestion relief due to upper respiratory allergies or hay fever.
- Also available from mucinex: mucinex sinus-max clear & cool nasal spray for severe nasal congestion relief..
Don’t Miss: How To Get Better From Sinus Infection
Common Cold Symptoms During Pregnancy
Generally, a cold will start with a sore or scratchy throat lasting about a day or two, followed by the gradual onset of other symptoms which may include:
- Mild fatigue
- A runny, then later stuffy nose
- A dry cough, particularly as the cold is ending which may continue for a week or more after the other symptoms have mostly subsided
- A low-grade fever typically under 100 degrees Fahrenheit
Cold symptoms usually last between 10 to 14 days. However, if your symptoms persist longer than that time frame or seem to progressively worsen, you should talk to your primary care physician so they can ensure it hasnt turned into something more serious like an infection or the flu.
How Do You Get Rid Of A Cold Fast
There are many ways to help get rid of a cold fast. The average cold lasts anywhere from several days to several weeks. Even though you wont beat a cold in 24 hours, with proper medicine and home remedies, you should be able to get symptom relief quickly, and recover in just a few days. Here are some of the best cold remedies:
Staying at home while youre treating your cold is always a good idea if youre able to do so. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommends staying home if you have a cold to help prevent spreading it to others. Keeping children out of school or daycare if they have a cold is also a good idea to help keep others from getting sick.
Don’t Miss: Can A Sinus Infection Clear Up On Its Own
Best Cold Medicine For Fever And Aches
Fever and aches are triggered by inflammation in your body. Treating the inflammation can bring down your pain levels and soothe discomfort.
Advil Cold & Sinus Caplets
For over 20 years, people have trusted Advil Cold & Sinus for powerful, non-drowsy relief of their tough cold and sinus symptoms.
Many people attribute sinus pressure to an increase in mucus which blocks their airways. While it is true that increased mucus is a symptom of the common cold, it is not always what makes you feel so stuffed up. Sinus congestion can also be associated with the swelling of the tissues in the nose known as inflammation. The result is a shrinking of your airways.
Advil Cold & Sinus combines the relief of a strong decongestant to open your airways with the power of Advil to relieve the pain commonly associated with sinus pressure.
Temporarily relieves these symptoms associated with the common cold or flu:
- minor body aches & pains
12 years of age and older:
- 1 caplet/liquid-gel every 4 to 6 hours while symptoms persist. If symptoms do not respond to 1 caplet/liquid-gel, 2 may be used.
- Do not use more than 6 caplets/liquid-gels in 24 hours unless directed by a doctor.
Under 12 years of age:
- Do not take
*Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug
- acetylated monoglycerides, carnauba wax, colloidal silicon dioxide, corn starch, croscarmellose sodium, methylparaben, microcrystalline cellulose, pharmaceutical glaze, pharmaceutical ink, povidone, pregelatinized starch, propylparaben, sodium benzoate, sodium lauryl sulfate, stearic acid, sucrose, synthetic iron oxides, titanium dioxide
You May Like: Best Medicine To Clear Up Sinus Infection
How Can I Safely Take Otc Decongestants
Before you take OTC decongestants, read the directions on the drug facts label. It will tell you how much medicine to take and how often to take it. If you have any questions, call your doctor.
Follow these tips to make sure youre taking the right amount of medicine:
- Take only the amount shown on the medicines label. Dont assume more medicine will work better or quicker. Taking more than the recommended amount can be dangerous.
- If youre taking a prescription medicine, ask your doctor if its okay to also take an OTC decongestant.
- Dont use more than 1 OTC decongestant medicine at a time unless your doctor says its okay. Multiple medicines may have similar active ingredients that add up to be too much medicine.
If using a liquid decongestant, use the measuring spoon that came with the medicine. This spoon is the right size for the dose you need. Dont use a kitchen spoon.
When using decongestants, keep a record of the OTC medicines youre using and when you take them. If you need to go to the doctor, take this list with you.
Sudafed Pe Sinus Congestion Day + Night Maximum Strength Decongestant Tablets 20 Ct
- From the #1 pharmacist recommended brand among oral otc decongestants, this maximum-strength formula can be used by adults and children 12 years and older for powerful relief.
- Each multi-pack contains 20 tablets of nasal decongestant, with 12 daytime and 8 nighttime tablets for powerful symptom relief throughout the day and while you sleep.
- Both formulas help relieve sinus pressure and sinus congestion, and nasal congestion due to the common cold, hay fever, or upper respiratory allergies.
- Each daytime and nighttime dose contains 10 milligrams of the nasal decongestant phenylephrine hcl and each nighttime dose also contains 25 milligrams of the antihistamine diphenhydramine hcl.
- 20-count of sudafed pe sinus congestion day + night maximum strength decongestant tablets to temporarily relieve sinus pressure and sinus congestion for both day and night.
Also Check: Good Nasal Spray For Sinus Infection