How To Tell The Difference Between Sinus Congestion And Head Congestion
The main difference between sinus congestion and head congestion is the duration of symptoms. Sinus congestion may cause a sinus infection, which comes with symptoms lasting up to four weeks. Talk to your doctor if you think you may have a sinus infection. Head congestion as part of a cold is usually gone in seven to 10 days.
Best Medicine For Sinus Pain Reviews
Choosing the appropriate medicine for sinus pain can be tough. However, if you consider these factors, your job will be easier.
- Product Quality: A product that you won’t have to buy again or that will last you a long time is an important consideration, especially when it comes to the medicine for sinus pain. Nobody would want a low-quality or easily worn-out object. They are even willing to spend a somewhat greater price for a good product.
- Ease of Use- A vital trait of any replace_keyword] is its ease of use, so most item did well in this metric. How easily can you use your product?
- Ergonomics Ergonomics was a much simpler metric for these products. We split it into three aspects: comfort, aesthetics, and profile design. Most of our listed products are decently comfortable, and we think it is one of the group’s sleeker and more stylish designs.
- Comfort Comfort is the other primary factor we took into consideration when evaluating medicine for sinus pain. After all, the more comfortable a medicine for sinus pain is, the less likely you will dislike it. We pay attention to softness, shape, and size.
- Value is always important, but the range for medicine for sinus pain is relatively narrow. We feel that the #1 model offers a great value for most people and that the #2 is great for advanced users.
#1 Best Overall medicine for sinus pain:
After considering the above, we nominated this model as our Top Pick.
See the details features here:
Sinus & Allergy Fast Acting Nasal Congestion Relief Spray Mucinex Sinus Max
- Long lasting: lasts up to 12 hours, through the day or night..
- Uses: temporarily relieves nasal congestion due to a cold, hay fever or other upper respiratory allergies.
- Also available from mucinex: mucinex sinus-max clear & cool nasal spray for severe nasal congestion relief..
- Key benefits: fast acting relief that lasts for up to 12 hours, non-drowsy and nasal congestion relief due to upper respiratory allergies or hay fever..
- What is it: this nasal spray provides targeted nasal congestion relief due to upper respiratory allergies or hay fever.
You May Like: Best Sinus Congestion Relief Medicine
Why Are Antibiotics Important
Antibiotics are one of the most common classifications of drugs used to treat bacterial infections. Since their introduction to the world of medicine, they have helped treat countless people, especially those with infectious diseases.
Antibiotics are very crucial during surgeries and are used to prevent patients from getting any infections from the cut. Without antibiotics, there is a higher chance of blood poisoning and the more complicated surgeries would not be possible to perform.
Mucinex Dm Powers Through Cough & Chest Congestion
Not all coughs are the same. Sometimes you can have a wet cough caused by mucus. Other times, you have an irritating dry cough. Some days itâs both. Whichever youâre dealing with, relief has arrived with Mucinex DM.
When youâre healthy, the cilia in your airways move mucus toward your throat to either be coughed up or swallowed. But with a respiratory tract infection , mucus can build up in your airways and lungs, so your body has to cough to get rid of it.
Chest congestion is what happens when the mucus membranes that line your airways jump into overdrive. When you breathe in an irritant , mucosa cells are attacked causing inflammation and extra mucus in your airways. This extra mucus is one of the ways your body tries to remove an irritant.
Only Mucinex has a unique bi-layer tablet. One layer for immediate release, the other layer for extended release.
Mucinex DM powers through chest congestion for 12 hours so you can say goodbye to retaking medicine every 4 hours.
Donât drag yourself out of bed when you are sick. Rest up and have Mucinex come to you with 1 hour delivery through Prime Now.
We canât always avoid the things that cause excess mucus. Subscribe & Save for continuous relief and save up to 15%.
Read Also: Does Z Pack Work For Sinus Infection
Sudafed Pe Sinus Congestion Maximum Strength Non
- 36-count of sudafed pe sinus congestion maximum strength non-drowsy tablets for fast, powerful relief of sinus pressure and sinus and nasal congestion.
- This sinus congestion & pressure relief medicine also helps reduce nasal swelling to help you breathe easier, and can be taken every 4 hours as necessary for effective relief of cold and allergy symptoms.
- The maximum strength formula helps clear sinus congestion and relieve sinus pressure due to the common cold, hay fever or other upper respiratory allergies.
- Each coated tablet contains 10 milligrams of phenylephrine hcl, a nasal decongestant that provides non-drowsy symptom relief.
- From the #1 pharmacist recommended brand among oral otc decongestants, this non-drowsy decongestant can be used by adults and children 12 years and older for fast, powerful relief.
Top 10 Best Over The Counter Sinus And Cough Medicine
Are you looking for best over the counter sinus and cough medicine, weve consulted top experts who has in-and-out knowledge about the over the counter sinus and cough medicine. We choose the top most quality product, which comes with amazing features youve never heard before. We have filter more than 100+ of product to give you top 10 list of best over the counter sinus and cough medicine.
This list is undoubtedly the best over the counter sinus and cough medicine available in the market today. However, if you dont want to spend more time on filtering and finding which one is good over the counter sinus and cough medicine, then you should absolutely go for our Top list of the winner. which comes with all the basic features one could expect in a over the counter sinus and cough medicine.
Recommended Reading: How To Fight Sinus Headache
Mucinex Expectorant And Cough Suppressant Tablets
Another top pick for chest congestion medicine comes from the same brand Mucinex. The main difference between Mucinex DM Maximum Strenght 12-Hour Expectorant and Cough Suppressant and the first on the list is that they work differently on chest congestion. This product works to suppress a cough stopping any chest irritation that might be causing you to cough in the first place.
This product effectively loosens mucus with guaifenesin and prevents the coughing reflex with dextromethorphan an ingredient lacking in the first option. Mucinex is particularly ideal for people with chest congestion who experience irritating, persistent, and troubling coughing episodes.
When To Call A Doctor
Most of the time, a stuffy nose will clear up on its own within a week. Nasal congestion that lasts longer may be a sign of a serious sinus infection in need of treatment. You may also want to see a doctor if the symptoms are interfering with sleep or your ability to function normally.
A stuffy nose may require medical attention if:
- You have a high fever.
- Your symptoms last longer than two weeks.
- Your nasal passages are completely blocked.
- Your skin or lips develop a bluish tinge .
- Your breathing rate is very rapid.
- You have difficulty breathing or catching your breath.
Recommended Reading: Best Sinus Medicine For Congestion
Is It Safe To Take Sinus Decongestants While Pregnant
It depends on the active ingredient. OTC pseudoephedrine and phenylephrine should only be used during pregnancy under your doctors supervision. They should not be used during the first trimester, only after, and even then, only with your doctors recommendation.
Talk with your doctor before using drugs containing these ingredients if you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant. Research in animals has shown adverse effects on the fetus when the mother takes these drugs. There havent been enough studies with humans to be certain how the drug might affect the fetus. These drugs should only be used if the potential benefit justifies the potential risk.
Our Best Sinus Decongestant
As previously said, we have created a buyers guide for Digital Angle Finder For Miter Saw. This buyers guide is brimming with in-depth information about various factors to help you make the best choice for your requirements. To help you select the best item for your needs, weve gathered a number of factors to think about, including price, quality, and suitability.
Read Also: How To Stop A Sinus Infection Fast
Advil Sinus Congestion & Pain
Advil Sinus Congestion & Pain combines the speed and strength of Advil and a proven nasal decongestant for fast, effective relief of sinus pressure and congestion associated with colds. Though mucus can contribute to the stuffed up feeling, nasal congestion is the swelling of the tissues in the nose and sinuses caused by inflammation. Advil Sinus Congestion & Pain re-opens your airways by constricting the blood vessels in your nose and sinuses.
Advil Sinus Congestion & Pain also treats the pain associated with colds. The philosophy behind Advil Sinus Congestion & Pain is that cold-sufferers who treat only nasal congestion or the pain associated with it really only address half the problem. Both pain and congestion are major symptoms of colds so it just makes sense to treat them both with just one tablet. Get fast, powerful relief with Advil Sinus Congestion & Pain.
Featured on Prevention.com in 11 Cold Medicines That Will Make You Feel Less Miserable. Read the full article.
Temporarily relieves these symptoms associated with the common cold or flu:
What Are Complications Of Sinus Infection Or Sinusitis
While serious complications do not occur frequently, it is possible for a sinus infection to cause a direct extension of infection into the brain through a sinus wall, creating a life-threatening emergency .
In addition, other adjacent structures can become infected and develop problems, such as osteomyelitis of bones in the skull and infection around the eye . Rarely, these infections may cause death. The most susceptible individuals to complications are patients with suppressed immune systems, diabetes, and relatively rarely from multiple trauma injuries that may occur in natural disasters.
Dont Miss: Bc Powder For Sinus Headache
Don’t Miss: Fast Acting Sinus Pressure Relief
Mucinex Nightshift Sinus 6 Fl Oz Relieves Fever Sore Throat Runny Nose Sneezing
- Both formulas help relieve sinus pressure and sinus congestion, and nasal congestion due to the common cold, hay fever, or upper respiratory allergies.
- 20-count of sudafed pe sinus congestion day + night maximum strength decongestant tablets to temporarily relieve sinus pressure and sinus congestion for both day and night.
- From the #1 pharmacist recommended brand among oral otc decongestants, this maximum-strength formula can be used by adults and children 12 years and older for powerful relief.
- Each multi-pack contains 20 tablets of nasal decongestant, with 12 daytime and 8 nighttime tablets for powerful symptom relief throughout the day and while you sleep.
- Each daytime and nighttime dose contains 10 milligrams of the nasal decongestant phenylephrine hcl and each nighttime dose also contains 25 milligrams of the antihistamine diphenhydramine hcl.
Recommended Reading: Home Care For Sinus Infection
How To Treat A Cold
Symptoms of a head cold include nasal and sinus congestion, sneezing, coughing, runny nose, headache, and minor pains. These can be uncomfortable and get in the way of your day. Since most people will recover on their own, medicine for a cold usually consists of over the counter remedies to help you cope with the discomfort. CVS offers a wide selection of the best cold and cough medicine to temporarily relieve your symptoms. Cough medicine is formulated with ingredients that act as a cough suppressant. These are usually available in a non-drowsy formula for daytime use, and in a drowsy formula to help control your symptoms at night. You may also wish to take an expectorant, which loosens mucus and makes it easier to cough up. For a severe cough, we recommend selecting a product specially formulated for intense symptoms, such as Mucinex. If your throat is sore from coughing, a soothing tea may bring relief. CVS carries a selection of the best cough remedies, so you can choose what works best for you.
Also Check: What Tea Is Good For Sinus
What Is Acetaminophen And Why We Eliminate It Too
It can be unbearable to suffer from allergic symptoms, and it is natural to want to relieve yourself of pain and fever. Acetaminophen is a pain reliever, used for treating many conditions such as sinus, headache, backache, toothache and fever. It comes with side effects:
- Swelling of the tongue or lips
- Difficulty with breathing
- Serious skin reactions. Between 1969 and 2012, the Food and Drug Administration found that 67 people required hospitalization of which 12 died after skin reactions were reported after taking acetaminophen products. This comes from documented medical literature. One of the skin reactions linked to acetaminophen included Toxic Epidermal Necrolysis . You start with flu-like symptoms such as headache, aches and fever and progress to a blister-like rash. The skin starts peeling and the hair starts falling out. This skin reaction is often fatal.
There are different brands and forms of acetaminophen available, but all labeling warns you not to take more than is recommended. It can damage your liver, more so if you drink alcohol with it.
Best Cold Medicine For Sore Throat
A sore throat can be uncomfortable, and even prevent you from consuming the nutrient-rich foods that will help with your recovery. Local anesthetics, like a chloraseptic spray or throat lozenges, can help with this discomfort. A sore throat may also be caused by postnasal drip, and using an OTC antihistamine can provide symptom relief, as well. If your sore throat persists, you might want to be checked for strep throat.
Recommended Reading: Does Theraflu Help With Sinus Pressure
The Complete Rundown On Homeopathic Remedies: What Are They
You may be wondering what exactly Homeopathic means. Homeopathy and homeopathic remedies are centered around the belief that your body is capable of healing itself, and that instead of needing medicine in order to heal, your body benefits from medicine that helps support you while you heal. Homeopathic remedies help enhance your bodys natural ability to heal itself.
Homeopathic remedies are safe and can prove to be effective, so they may be the perfect alternative to commercial products that are full of artificial inactive ingredients.
Homeopathic remedies have long been used to treat a variety of ailments, including minor injuries like cuts, scrapes, and sprains, allergies, arthritis, and IBS. That said, homeopathy can also be used to maintain your health, not just amp up your health when you are feeling under-the-weather.
Regardless of what kind of medicine you do choose to use, it is always important to consult a doctor before you try out something you have not used before. Your doctor will always be able to help answer your questions as well as advise you when it comes to proper usage and dosages of certain medications, which is a critical part of protecting your health.
Even though homeopathy is widely regarded as safe, homeopathic medicines can, like any other form of medicine, interact with any other medications you are currently taking. Thus, consulting your doctor is a key component of building a safe and effective treatment plan.
What Causes Sinus Pressure
Pressure in your sinuses is essentially swelling in response to any of three different causes: a pressure change between the air inside your sinuses and the air outside your sinuses , when irritants invade your sinuses , or when you have an anatomical issue .
Unfortunately, you can’t cater your sinus pressure treatment to the exact cause, but the good news is that most available remedies can work to reduce sinus inflammation and swelling regardless of what’s causing it.
Here’s a guide, according to experts, on the best ways to treat sinus pressure so you can start feeling better as soon as possible.
Read Also: Sinus Infection Smell In Nose
Aromatherapy Humidity Nasal Sprays & Steam
The tried and true remedy of using a humidifier or a steamy shower can also help provide temporary relief from sinusitis symptoms such as sore throat. Essential oils such as peppermint or eucalyptus may also help to open up your sinuses and relieve some of the blockage thats indirectly causing your sore throat. Finally, flushing out your mucus with a neti pot or a saline nasal spray can also provide temporary relief.
Best Cold Medicine For Sinus Headache
To treat a sinus headache, decide if youd like to treat the pain from your sinus blockage or the actual blockage itself.
Fever And Pain Reducers
If you have a fever and/or pain, take two acetaminophen tablets. After four hours, if you still have pain or fever, take two ibuprofen tablets. You can rotate these every four hours.
Valdez said it is very important to be careful when combining all these medicines to make sure you are not doubling up on a single agent. Some of these medications may contain a lower dose of any of the above mentioned agents, so check the labels carefully.
Remember those agents are: acetaminophen or ibuprofen for fever/pain, dextromethorphan for cough and pseudoephedrine or phenylephrine and guaifenesin for decongestants and expectorants.
Lastly, Valdez said to keep the following in mind:
- If you have a fever, do not go into work or school you should be fever free for 24 hours.
- Rest is the best medicine. Let the virus run its course if your body is run down it will take it longer to fight off the infection.
- To prevent sinus infections, get a flu shot , wash your hands often and cover your cough and sneeze.