What Is The Prognosis For A Sinus Headache
Most people with sinus headache recover completely, although many people may develop sinus headache again in the future.
Complications of sinus headache are not common. Rarely, an untreated sinus infection can erode through the bones and involve adjacent structures, including the eye socket or brain, potentially causing pain and swelling of the eye or symptoms of meningitis or encephalitis. Infection that spreads to the blood vessels in the area of the sinuses can cause inflammation and blood clots. The cavernous sinus is a collection of veins located near the sphenoid sinus that can potentially become infected and form blood clots.
Types Of Otc Nasal Sprays
OTC nasal sprays can be categorized by their active ingredients .
- Steroid. OTC steroid nasal sprays are mean to reduce inflammation. Thats why theyre recommended for treating allergies and chronic sinusitis. The steroid sprays may contain budesonide or fluticasone.
- Antihistamine. Antihistamine sprays are meant to blunt the impact of an allergen that your body is reacting to. These products are mostly recommended for allergies. Active antihistamine ingredients in nasal sprays are azelastine or olopatadine.
- Nasal decongestant. These types of sprays aim to shrink irritated blood vessels that line your nose, reducing inflammation to help you breathe more easily. Ingredients may include oxymetazoline hydrochloride or phenylephrine hydrochloride.
- Saline. Saline sprays dont contain active ingredients, but they can loosen mucus and help you to breathe more easily.
Side Effects Of Sinus Medication
Because of sinus medicine high blood pressure can likely increase drastically as these medicines may affect the functionality of your stress hormone. Moreover, sinus drugs have a tendency to make your kidneys work slower than normal.
This causes the slow down of your blood filtering and as a result more pressure is built-up in your blood vessels.
Research states that two of the main active ingredients present in the most common sinus drugs have proven to increase your blood pressure.
If you have hypertension it is recommended that you not take any sinus medication for more than ten days.
Read Also: Medicine That Helps With Sinus Infection
Dry Air Drying You Out Just Add Water
Another potential remedy for a stuffy nose is salt water, which eases congestion by moistening and clearing the nasal passages. Dry air can increase mucus production and thicken the mucus so that it accumulates in the sinuses, explains Auth. Other irritants that buildup in nasal passages can also lead to nasal inflammation if they arent flushed out.
The nose loves salt water, says Seidman. A home remedy I tell people about is to mix 1 quart of sterilized water, 1 teaspoon of kosher salt, and ¼ teaspoon , and then run it up your nose.
Neti pots are nasal rinsing devices that have been around for thousands of years. While they’re generally considered safe, the FDA cautions that they must be used and cleaned properly to avoid the risk of infection. The FDA recommends using purchased distilled or sterile water, boiled and cooled tap water, or water passed through one of its recommended filters in any of these devices to reduce the risk of infection.
Engle says saline nasal sprays are a convenient option to moisten and help drain a stuffy nose because the contents are premixed and sterile, which reduces the potential for infection if used properly. For people squeamish about rinsing out their nose, experts say simply moistening the air around you can help.
A humidifier is a good thing for young children and people who dont want to use drugs, says Engle. Cool mist humidifiers are recommended in childrens bedrooms to reduce the risk of burns from warm mist versions.
What Are Common Side Effects Of Sinus Infection Medications
The most common side effects of sinus infection medications differ by the type of medication you use. Decongestants tend to cause nervousness, insomnia, and a loss of appetite. Side effects of antibiotics include nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea. Antihistamines and steroids can cause dizziness and sleep disturbances.
This is not an exhaustive list of sinus infection medication side effects. If you experience any adverse reactions from a medication or treatment, its always best to consult with your healthcare provider.
You May Like: Can You Drink On Sinus Infection Antibiotics
When To See Your Doctor For Nasal Congestion
See your doctor for nasal congestion if your symptoms last more than ten days, dont respond to over the counter treatment and lifestyle changes, your nasal discharge is yellow or green, or if you experience a fever.
A fever is an indicator that your symptoms are a result of bacterial infection, which will require prescribed antibiotics.
How Long Will It Take To Feel Better
Sinus infections are usually caused by viruses and typically will get better over five to seven days, Dr. McCormick says. If the symptoms persist for longer or the symptoms get better but quickly return, patients should see a doctor to determine if they need antibiotics or if there is another cause for their symptoms, he adds.
While these medications will help you feel better, they wont necessarily wipe out your symptoms completely. And, because sinus infections are usually caused by a virus, you just kind of have to ride it out. Dr. McCormick also recommends doing saline irrigations with a nasal spray or neti pot to help you feel more comfortable while you wait.
Also Check: Sudafed Sinus Congestion 30 Mg
Why Is This So Painful
When experiencing a painful episode of sinus congestion, there are many questions that may cross your mind. One simply is How do I make it go away?The reason for the pain that you are feeling in your ears is due to sinus pressure. This is because the sinuses and the ears are connected. Sinus congestion and stuffiness can affect the pressure in your ears. Because sinus pressure affects more than just your nose, you may also have pain in your ears, dizziness, and a sensation that makes your ears feel muffled or clogged. Fortunately, there are several remedies to bring you relief. Sinus pressure in the ears can truly be a pain!
What Causes Pressure In Your Sinuses
Sinus pressure is caused by the swelling and inflammation of the membranes inside your sinus passages. This irritation causes the membranes to produce more mucus to try to flush out whatever is causing the inflammation. The excess mucus then adds to the pressure inside the sinus cavities.
Some trigger of sinus pressure include:
- Infection caused by a virus such as the cold or flu
- Infection caused by bacteria
Read Also: What Is The Best Nighttime Sinus Medicine
Mucinex Chest Congestion Maximum Strength 12 Hour Extended Release Tablets Relieves Chest Congestion Caused By Excess Mucus 1200mg 42 Count
$ as of December 23, 2021 8:22 pm
- MUCINEX MAXIMUM STRENGTH 12 HOUR EXTENDED-RELEASE BI-LAYER TABLETS: Clinically proven to last up to 12 hours it provides powerful relief for your toughest chest congestion
- SYMPTOMS TREATED: Relieves chest congestion caused by excess mucus by making your cough more productive
- ONE EASY PILL: A unique bi-layer tablet, one layer for immediate release, the other layer for extended release so the medicine starts to release right away and lasts for up to 12 hours
- INGREDIENTS: Guaifenesin is an expectorant that helps reduce chest congestion caused by colds, infections or irritants
- CONTINUOUS RELIEF: Maximum strength Mucinex lasts up to 12 hours so you can say goodbye to retaking medicine every 4 hours
Can/should I Take A Sinus Decongestant For A Sinus Infection
You can take certain decongestants for a sinus infection. Decongestants that contain only pseudoephedrine or phenylephrine are more typically recommended for a sinus infection. Decongestants with additional ingredients like antihistamines may suppress your bodys immune response and interfere with your bodys ability to fight the infection. If you have a severe sinus infection, or if youre on antibiotics, consult with your doctor about the best OTC medication choice for you.
Also Check: Aleve D Sinus And Headache Discontinued
What Home Remedies Help Soothe Sinus Headache Symptoms
There are a number of self-care measures available to help decrease sinus congestion and promote drainage of the sinuses, providing relief for sinus headache.
- Drink plenty of fluids to help you stay hydrated.
- Breathe humidified air.
- OTC pain medicationssuch as acetaminophen and ibuprofen can help control pain.
- such as pseudoephedrine may be useful in promoting drainage of the sinuses. People with high blood pressure or heart conditions should check with their healthcare practitioner before using these medications. A number of over-the-counter decongestant medications are available, either singly or in combination with antihistamines, pain relievers, and/or anti-inflammatory medications.
- are also available that contain decongestant medications, but these should not be used for more than three days, due to the possibility of rebound inflammation, a worsening of the condition once use of the spray has stopped.
- Inhaled steroid preparations are sometimes prescribed to treat allergic sinusitis, and bacterial infections of the sinuses are treated with antibiotics.
- Antihistamines may be useful if allergies such as hay fever are the cause of congestion.
Best Over The Counter Sinus Allergy Medicine The Winners
But these three has some more compitions too, Check out below List of Top 10 best over the counter sinus allergy medicine.
If you are ready to choose a new over the counter sinus allergy medicine, check out our recommendations for the best over the counter sinus allergy medicine. But if youd like to learn more about the various types of over the counter sinus allergy medicine available and how to choose the right one for you, read on.
Recommended Reading: How Long A Sinus Infection Last
Otc Medicine For Sinus Congestion
When your sinuses become inflamed and congested, this means that the tiny, air-filled spaces that are connected to your nasal cavity have been blocked or are unable to drain normally. This buildup of mucus then causes a feeling of pressure or “fullness” in your forehead, eyes, or jaw. Luckily, OTC medications, such as acetaminophen or ibuprofen, can alleviate pain caused by the pressure buildup.
Here are the most common types of OTC medication for sinus congestion:
1. Decongestant: Nasal decongestants are available in tablets, liquids, and nasal sprays and work by reducing blood flow to the sinuses, ultimately reducing nasal swelling and inflammation. Popular nasal decongestants include:
- Phenylephrine with brand names Sudafed PE, Vicks Sinex, and Pretz-D.
- Pseudoephedrine with brand names Sudafed, Dimetapp Decongestant, and 12 Hour Cold Maximum Strength.
2. Pain reliever: There are two main categories of pain relievers:
3. Antihistamines: Antihistamines are commonly used to treat allergies, but they can be used to treat stomach problems and the common cold among other ailments. Antihistamines work by blocking the effects of histamine, which your immune system releases to protect against foreign invasions. Histamines cause symptoms like inflammation, congestion, a runny nose, and sneezing. So antihistamines are designed to alleviate those symptoms. Popular antihistamines include cetirizine and fexofenadine .
How Is Sinusitis Diagnosed
If you are experiencing pain and pressure that doesn’t clear up within a week to 10 days, it may be time to schedule a doctors appointment. You can visit your primary care physician to be evaluated for a sinus infection.
A sinus infection is usually diagnosed empirically without need for imaging or cultures, explains Lindsey Elmore, Pharm.D., BCPS. A simple medical exam and review of your symptoms should be enough for your doctor to identify a sinus infection. Your doctor will likely check your nose with a light to look for inflammation. He or she also may ask you about any pain youre feeling to see if it traces back to the sinus cavities.
In rare cases, or if you get frequent infections, your doctor may perform other tests to rule out other conditions like a fungal infection. This may include allergy testing, a nasal endoscopy to visually inspect the sinuses, swabbing your nose for a culture of nasal drainage, or lab imagery to scan for abnormalities.
Symptoms may be acute or chronic , and you should seek a doctors help if you have symptoms that last more than 10 days, or are unresolved with over the counter agents as this may be an indication that you have a bacterial sinus infection, says Dr. Elmore.
Don’t Miss: Can You Heal A Sinus Infection Without Antibiotics
Amazon Basic Care Ibuprofen Tablets Fever Reducer And Pain Relief From Body Aches Headache Arthritis Pain And More 500 Count
as of December 23, 2021 8:22 pm
- ACTIVE INGREDIENT: This product contains ibuprofen 200 mg, a pain reliever and fever reducer compare to the active ingredient in Advil Ibuprofen Tablets
- PAIN RELIEVER AND FEVER REDUCER: Proven pain relief without a prescription for tough pain such as muscular aches, minor arthritis pain, toothache, backache, menstrual cramps or minor aches and pains from the common cold also temporarily reduces fever
- STRONG RELIEF: Amazon Basic Care Ibuprofen Tablets 200 mg are strong on tough pain to help you get the relief you need to keep going no prescription needed for this pain reliever and fever reducer
- EFFECTIVE: When pain tries to take over, turn to the proven pain relief of coated Amazon Basic Care Ibuprofen Tablets 200 mg use for adults and children 12 years and over
- IBUPROFEN is the number one doctor recommended back pain OTC active ingredient
Related Resources For Sinus Infections
* Prescription savings vary by prescription and by pharmacy, and may reach up to 80% off cash price.
Pharmacy names, logos, brands, and other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
This article is not medical advice. It is intended for general informational purposes and is not meant to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. If you think you may have a medical emergency, immediately call your physician or dial 911.
Don’t Miss: Good Nasal Spray For Sinus Infection
Got Allergies Consider An Antihistamine
Swelling of the nasal tissues, especially when caused by allergies, often triggers increased , which can further obstruct your airways, explains Dr. Auth. Over-the-counter , such as diphenhydramine and loratadine , can help dry up excessive mucus, he says. If youre taking an antihistamine during the day, check the label carefully and choose one labeled nonsedating.
Sinus & Allergy Fast Acting Nasal Congestion Relief Spray Mucinex Sinus Max
- What is it: this nasal spray provides targeted nasal congestion relief due to upper respiratory allergies or hay fever.
- Long lasting: lasts up to 12 hours, through the day or night..
- Key benefits: fast acting relief that lasts for up to 12 hours, non-drowsy and nasal congestion relief due to upper respiratory allergies or hay fever..
- Uses: temporarily relieves nasal congestion due to a cold, hay fever or other upper respiratory allergies.
- Also available from mucinex: mucinex sinus-max clear & cool nasal spray for severe nasal congestion relief..
Also Check: Best Medication To Stop Sinus Drainage
The Right Way To Treat A Sinus Infection
5 min Read Time
Your head is throbbing, especially around your eyes. You cant stop coughing, and for some reason, your breath is terrible. Blowing your nose is a mess.
Bad news: You could have a sinus infection. Most frequently triggered by the common cold, over 30 million American adults are diagnosed with sinusitis yearly.
So, what exactly are sinus infections? How can you tell if you have one? And holy cow how can you feel better as quickly as possible?
Whats The Difference Between A Regular Toothache And A Sinus Toothache
All pain is not created equal. Typically, a toothache thats not caused by sinus problems will only involve one tooth. Conversely, if youre experiencing a sinus toothache, youll probably feel discomfort in several teeth, particularly the top molars . A toothache thats accompanied by sinus problems usually includes some or all of the following symptoms:
- Pressure or tenderness around the eyes or forehead
- Bad-tasting nasal drip
- Sore throat
- Inability to smell and taste
These symptoms all intertwine because the position of the nasal cavities causes discomfort across a persons entire face, head, and neck region, whereas a single toothache may be caused by decay, damage, or sensitivity in one tooth.
Don’t Miss: Walgreens Sinus Congestion And Pain
Best Otc Sinus Medicines
Since sinus problems have different causes, it’s important to accurately assess your symptoms before buying over-the-counter medications. If you have a cold or seasonal allergies, OTC medications will usually work well. However, if you experience sinus pain, tooth pain, fever, or if your sinus congestion lingers longer than ten days, see your doctor. Antibiotics may be prescribed for sinusitis caused by bacteria.
Antibiotics cannot be used to treat a sinus infection caused by a virus, however. Nevertheless, OTC medications, like decongestants, expectorants, analgesics and antihistamines, can relieve certain symptoms but the functions of each medication are different.
The importance of choosing the right decongestant cannot be overstated. The following information will help you understand these remedies and what will work best for you.
Here comes another best sinus medicine. Expectorants work best on sinus infections where congestion has settled in the chest or throat and causes coughing. Expectorants work to thin the mucus. The sinusitis sufferer then can eliminate the thinned mucus through coughing, leading to faster relief of congestion.
3. Pain Relievers
If pain and pressure caused by sinus infection are major complaints, anti-inflammatory pain-relievers like acetaminophen and ibuprofen may be your best option. An additional benefit: These medications may also reduce or eliminate fever.