Which Sinus Headache Medicine Should I Use
If you notice pain or pressure behind your eyes around your sinuses, you may be suffering from a sinus headache. Frequent sinus headaches are certainly a cause for concern, and if you find yourself constantly congested, you should visit an ENT to discover the real root of the problem.
However, in the meantime, you can turn to over-the-counter drugs for a bit of temporary relief. Below, well discuss the three common types of sinus headache medicine and how they can help.
How To Use Sinus Congestion & Pain
See also Warning section.
If you are taking the over-the-counter product, read and follow all directions on the package label. If your doctor has prescribed this medication for you, take as directed by your doctor. If you have any questions, consult your doctor or pharmacist.
Take this medication by mouth with or without food or as directed by your doctor. If stomach upset occurs, it may help to take this medication with food or milk. Drink plenty of fluids when you use this medication unless otherwise directed by your doctor. The fluid will help loosen the mucus in your lungs.
If you are using the liquid form of this medication, carefully measure the dose using a special measuring device/spoon. Do not use a household spoon because you may not get the correct dose. If your liquid form is a suspension, shake the bottle well before each dose.
If you are taking the extended-release capsules, swallow them whole. Do not crush or chew extended-release capsules or tablets. Doing so can release all of the drug at once, increasing the risk of side effects. Also, do not split extended-release tablets unless they have a score line and your doctor or pharmacist tells you to do so. Swallow the whole or split tablet without crushing or chewing.
If you are taking the chewable form of this medication, chew it thoroughly before swallowing.
Can Allergies Cause Sinus Headaches
An allergy or allergic response is generally not a direct cause of a sinus headache, but can contribute to its occurrence. Allergies cause symptoms such as sinus congestion, which can lead to headache pain. If you have allergies, the treatment for your allergy can relieve your allergy symptoms, but it may not help with your headache pain. The two conditions often must be treated separately.
Sinus headaches are most likely to occur as a result of allergies, when grass, pollen, ragweed counts are high, or following exposure to other allergens. However, headache specialists tend to agree that allergies are usually not the cause of severe or recurrent headaches such as tension headaches or migraines. You should see a doctor to ensure proper diagnosis and treatment. Medication should be used as directed.
You May Like: Sinus Pressure Points On Feet
Hydrate And Soothe With Warm Soups And Teas
Many people swear by drinking liquids, especially hot liquids, to help relieve a stuffy nose. Although its certainly important to stay hydrated especially when youre not feeling well the effect of hot liquids on congestion can mostly be chalked up to the placebo effect.
Researchers who split up a group of people with cold and flu symptoms, giving half of them a room-temperature drink and the other half a hot drink, found that there was no measurable improvement in nasal stuffiness in either group. But interestingly, the group that drank the hot drink reported greater relief from symptoms. Researchers also speculated that in addition to the placebo effect, the taste of the hot drink also contributed to the favorable response.
If youre ready to heat up your own congestion remedy, try hot teas, such as chamomile and green tea, hot soups like chicken noodle, or a glass of hot water with a dollop of honey and some lemon. These have been used traditionally in many cultures, and are safe, but have limited research evidence backing their use specifically for nasal congestion.
How Are Sinus Headaches Treated
Sinus headaches treatment is usually directed toward sinus headache pain reliefand treating the infection. Treatment might include antibiotics for the infection, as well as a short period of pain and fever reliever , decongestants , or antihistamines to treat the sinus headache symptoms and provide sinus headache relief.
Analgesics can relieve headache pain while the nasal decongestants relieve sinus congestion and pressure, help clear nasal passages, and shrink swollen membranes.
If the sinus headache pain continues after using pain-relievers, corticosteroids may be prescribed to further decrease the inflammation. When an allergen is causing the sinus flare-ups, preventive allergy therapy is often needed. If you have questions or concerns about your sinus headache pain and how to treat sinus headaches, consult your doctor. Medication should be used as directed.
Recommended Reading: Why Does Sinus Pressure Hurt
Sudafed Pe Sinus Pressure + Pain Relief Maximum Strength Non
- 24-count box of sudafed pe sinus pressure + pain relief maximum strength non-drowsy decongestant tablets provide powerful relief of sinus pain, sinus pressure, nasal congestion and headaches.
- From the #1 pharmacist recommended brand among oral otc decongestants, this maximum strength formula can be used by adults and children 12 years and older for powerful symptom relief.
- The non-drowsy decongestant helps promotes sinus drainage, temporarily reduces fever and helps relieve headaches and minor aches and pain.
- This sinus congestion & pain medicine also temporarily relieves nasal congestion associated with hay fever, upper respiratory allergies and the common cold.
- Each caplet contains 5 milligrams of the decongestant phenylephrine hcl and 325 milligrams of acetaminophen, a pain reliever and fever reducer.
Apply Hot Or Cold Packs To Congested Sinuses
Another common natural treatment for congestion is applying hot or cold packs across the bridge of your nose. Although this is certainly a soothing activity, it wont do much in the long run. Theres no evidence that hot or cold packs reduce nasal inflammation, but if it makes you feel better, then theres no problem with them, says Stringer.
If youre looking for quick, simple congestion relief, you can create a hot or cold pack using items you have at home: For a ready-made cold pack, take a bag of frozen peas or other frozen vegetables out of your freezer, wrap it in a towel, and lay it across your face. For a hot pack, wring out a wet washcloth and heat it in the microwave for approximately one minute. Before laying it across your face, be sure to check that its not too hot.
Recommended Reading: The Best Antibiotic For Sinus Infection
How Are Sinus Headaches Prevented
If you have reoccurring sinus headaches as a symptom of sinusitis or seasonal allergies, you may need to consider prescription medication to manage the condition.
Lifestyle changes to reduce congestion, such as avoiding allergens and incorporating aerobic exercise into your routine, might decrease how many headaches you get.
In cases of chronic sinusitis, a nasal surgery such as a balloon sinuplasty might be the only way to stop getting more sinus headaches.
Best Sinus Headache Medicine Reviews & Buying Guide
- 24-count box of Tylenol Sinus + Headache Daytime Caplets for non-drowsy sinus symptom and headache pain relief due to the common cold, hay fever or other respiratory allergies
- Pain reliever and nasal decongestant formulated to temporarily relieve symptoms of nasal congestion, sinus headache and pressure
- Each sinus relief caplet contains 325 mg of acetaminophen to temporarily relieve pain and reduce fever as well as 5 mg of phenylephrine HCl, a nasal decongestant to help clear nasal passages
- The non-drowsy formula of this sinus medicine provides effective daytime symptom relief by promoting sinus drainage and helping to decongest sinus openings and passages
- From the #1 doctor-recommended pain relief brand, these daytime headache and sinus relief caplets are suitable for adults and children ages 12 years and older
- ALL-IN-ONE SINUS RELIEF
- FAST RELIEF OF SINUS SYMPTOMS such as sinus pressure, sinus headache and pain, sinus congestion, stuffy nose
- RELIEF IN AS LITTLE AS 30 MINUTES
- MAXIMUM STRENGTH MEDICINE
- Non Drowsy Formula, 48 gelcaps
- Pain Reliever, Decongestant
- Sinus Pressure, nasal congestion – Phenylephrine HCl
- Compare to Tylenol Sinus Congestion and Pain
You May Like: Severe Sinus And Cold Relief
Best Medicines For Sinus Pressure 2020
If you are experiencing increased sinus pressure, it is possible that youre feeling significant pain around different areas of your face: this is most likely caused by an accumulation of mucus, which results in a congested sinus. Not only is it painful, but it also makes it difficult for you to go about your daily routine.
Fortunately, there isnt a need for us to simply soldier through the discomfort because of the sheer number of different treatments available for sinus pressure. However, it is not uncommon for people to accidentally delay relief as a cause of purchasing the wrong products when in the drugstore.
Prevent the expensive episode of trial and error and make sure to buy the best medicine for sinus pressure that works by checking out this buying guide.
The Special Challenge Of Talking To The Headache Patient What Patients Tell Us
Since the headache history helps to differentiate benign primary headaches from potentially lethal secondary headaches, an accurate history is critical however, unfortunately, patients may be imprecise unless we assist them. Medical terminology is often misused, and never assume that the patient has good healthcare literacy. Patients may list diagnoses that might be self-deduced or misdiagnosed by others, so it is important to not accept legacy diagnoses without confirming them with specific questions.
Migraine is commonly misdiagnosed as sinus headaches by patients or their healthcare provider.1 Misdiagnosis is often due to the misinterpretation of migraine symptoms based on the periorbital or frontal location, lacrimation, rhinorrhea, or seasonal/weather-related exacerbations. The clinicians job is to interpret these symptoms. Patients might say sinus pressure when they try to describe a frontal headache due to other causes.
I Have a Pinched Nerve in My Neck
Patients may use the term pinched nerve when describing posterior head pain. It is important to distinguish the common occurrence of pain in the posterior cranium and upper cervical muscles from a migraine, tension-type headache, occipital neuralgia, chronic cervical pain syndrome, or a cervical radiculopathy. It is helpful to ask if the upper neck is painful only when there is a headache.
I cant Stay Asleep
Noshir R. Mehta, … Egilius L.H. Spierings, in, 2014
You May Like: Why Do I Get Sinus Headaches Everyday
Here Are Some Tips For Choosing Sinus Headache Medicine
Are you stressed out by finding the perfect sinus headache medicine? When considering the purchase of sinus headache medicine in general, have you ever felt uncertain about what model to select?
It’s sometimes enough to know that you’re not alone. sinus headache medicine is often difficult to find for many people. Our aim is to help you find it!
This page is obviously regarding Cheap sinus headache medicine Reviews which is why you’ve come here. You’ll find a lot of information available online, so research a few options before committing to anything.
Many sources can provide you with information about products- buying guides, reviews, word-of-mouth recommendations, online forums, independent product reviews found throughout the internet, and even YouTube channels. Only thorough research can help you find the right product.
That’s right? Aren’t doing that sometimes difficult? In order to prevent you from worrying, we have put together a list of the top sinus headache medicine products on the market, for your benefit.
Who was involved in compiling this list? What motivated us to create this buying guide?
We first gathered product information from reliable sources using the algorithms we had created.
Both Artificial Intelligence and large amounts of data volumes were used to validate all collected information.
Based on these quality/price ratios, the artificial intelligence then selected the most excellent product on the market!
What Happens If I Miss A Dose
Since Tylenol Sinus Congestion Nighttime is taken when needed, you may not be on a dosing schedule. If you are taking the medication regularly, take the missed dose as soon as you remember. Skip the missed dose if it is almost time for your next scheduled dose. Do not take extra medicine to make up the missed dose.
Read Also: Sudafed Sinus Congestion 30 Mg
What Are The Symptoms Of Sinus Headaches
Sinus headaches are associated with a deep and constant pain in the cheekbones, forehead or bridge of the nose. The pain usually intensifies with sudden head movement or straining. The pain is usually accompanied by other sinus symptoms, such as nasal discharge, feeling of fullness in the ears, fever, facial swelling, sinus pressure and sinus congestion.
Whether your headache symptoms can actually be attributed to the sinuses will need to be determined by your doctor. If your sinus headache is caused by a sinus blockage, such as an infection, you will likely have a fever.
What Are Some Options For Sinus Headache Treatment
You can try some at-home lifestyle remedies, including drinking more fluids, using a humidifier or vaporizer to moisten the air, and using a saltwater nasal spray. You may also want to try applying a warm, wet towel to your face to help provide some relief.
In addition, the following are some common types of sinus headache treatment:
- Antihistamines These can help if your sinus headaches are caused by allergies, since they reduce or block histamines and help reduce inflammation and swelling. They are available over-the-counter and also by prescription and come in tablet or nasal spray form.
- These oral or nasal medications can help reduce the amount of swelling and mucus in your nasal passages. They shouldnt be used in the long-term, however.
- Nasal steroid sprays These are available by prescription or over the counter and can help reduce pain and congestion.
- Antibiotics These can be used if your doctor thinks your sinusitis is caused by a bacterial infection. Most infections, however, are viral, and if this is the case, antibiotics wont help.
- Pain medication Medications such as ibuprofen, acetaminophen, or naproxen sodium can be used.
If medications dont improve your symptoms, your doctor may recommend surgery depending on the exact cause of your sinusitis and sinus headaches. The goal of surgery is to correct the underlying issue to provide long-term relief.
Surgical options can include the following:
Recommended Reading: What Is Used To Treat Sinus Infection
Breathe Essential Oil Blend 30 Ml
- Remedy For Congestion: Seasonal Changes Can Cause Congestion And Stuffiness Breathe Ease Blend Helps Soothing Airways And Promote Clear Breathing.
- Nexon Botanics Breathe Ease Essential Oil Blend Consists Of A Proprietary Combination Of Eucalyptus, Rosemary, Peppermint And Niaouli Oils All Oils Are Therapeutic Grade And Blended In The Usa.
- Natural Relief: Blend Helps During Sinus Congestion And Stuffiness By Keeping The Environment Clean And Aromatic.
- Must Have Blend: Due To Weather Changes, One Must Have This Blend It Promotes Clear Nasal Breathing Can Be Used In Diffuser Or Inhaler Tubes.
- Application: Dilute With Mct Before Direct Application On Chest Or Skin.
What Our Brand Is Worth:
The consequences of buying an unreliable brand because it is cheap are serious. Unreliable products are more likely to occur when you buy a cheap brand. While well-known brands give more attention to maintaining their reputations, other brands do not.
Brands like sinus headache medicine stand out from the competition due to their unique characteristics. As a result, we hope that you will find something on our list that you will like.
Recommended Reading: How To Heal A Sinus Infection Without Antibiotics
Can I Get A Sinus Headache Medicine For A Reasonable Price
Lifelong companionship is typical for sinus headache medicine. When you fast open your lid, spending more money will reward you with increased speed, a better view, and better quality of the product. Again, the average price of a new sinus headache medicine is between $$ and $$$. Okay, so some luxury options are not available.
What Home Remedies Help Soothe Sinus Headache Symptoms
There are a number of self-care measures available to help decrease sinus congestion and promote drainage of the sinuses, providing relief for sinus headache.
- Drink plenty of fluids to help you stay hydrated.
- Breathe humidified air.
- OTC pain medicationssuch as acetaminophen and ibuprofen can help control pain.
- such as pseudoephedrine may be useful in promoting drainage of the sinuses. People with high blood pressure or heart conditions should check with their healthcare practitioner before using these medications. A number of over-the-counter decongestant medications are available, either singly or in combination with antihistamines, pain relievers, and/or anti-inflammatory medications.
- are also available that contain decongestant medications, but these should not be used for more than three days, due to the possibility of rebound inflammation, a worsening of the condition once use of the spray has stopped.
- Inhaled steroid preparations are sometimes prescribed to treat allergic sinusitis, and bacterial infections of the sinuses are treated with antibiotics.
- Antihistamines may be useful if allergies such as hay fever are the cause of congestion.
Recommended Reading: I Think I Have Sinus Infection
Know When It’s Time To Head To The Doctor’s Office
Although nasal congestion will generally subside on its own, congestion that lasts for more than 7 to 10 days calls for a visit to the doctor, says Stringer. A viral infection usually goes away on its own within a week or so, but an infection that lasts longer is often bacterial and may require an antibiotic, he says. If you experience other symptoms, such as a high fever, one-sided nose bleeds, wheezing or shortness of breath, or persistent facial or tooth pain, see a doctor right away.