Side Effects Of Sinus Medication
Because of sinus medicine high blood pressure can likely increase drastically as these medicines may affect the functionality of your stress hormone. Moreover, sinus drugs have a tendency to make your kidneys work slower than normal.
This causes the slow down of your blood filtering and as a result more pressure is built-up in your blood vessels.
Research states that two of the main active ingredients present in the most common sinus drugs have proven to increase your blood pressure.
If you have hypertension it is recommended that you not take any sinus medication for more than ten days.
Sudafed Pe Sinus Pressure + Pain Relief Maximum Strength Non
- Each caplet contains 5 milligrams of the decongestant phenylephrine hcl and 325 milligrams of acetaminophen, a pain reliever and fever reducer.
- This sinus congestion & pain medicine also temporarily relieves nasal congestion associated with hay fever, upper respiratory allergies and the common cold.
- From the #1 pharmacist recommended brand among oral otc decongestants, this maximum strength formula can be used by adults and children 12 years and older for powerful symptom relief.
- The non-drowsy decongestant helps promotes sinus drainage, temporarily reduces fever and helps relieve headaches and minor aches and pain.
- 24-count box of sudafed pe sinus pressure + pain relief maximum strength non-drowsy decongestant tablets provide powerful relief of sinus pain, sinus pressure, nasal congestion and headaches.
Help For Sinus When I Have High Blood Pressure
Many people suffer from sinus trouble, whether it is a temporary sinus problem or chronic sinusitis. Sinus congestion can cause breathing difficulties, and the extreme congestion leads to sinus headache. Prolonged sinus congestion can lead to sinus infections. There are treatments for congested sinuses, but if you have high blood pressure you must be careful about which treatments you use, as some may actually raise blood pressure.
If you are experiencing serious medical symptoms, seek emergency treatment immediately.
Recommended Reading: How To Get Rid Of Sinus Pressure Migraine
Is A Sinus Infection Contagious To Others
Yes, but only if your sinus infection has been caused by a virus. Potentially you can pass this virus onto someone, which may cause them to develop a cold, which in turn can develop into sinusitis. However if your sinus infection hasnt be caused by a virus but bacteria instead then it’s not contagious.
Where Are The Sinuses Located
The sinuses are named according to their location in the skull bones:
- The frontal sinuses are located over the forehead, above the eyes on both sides.
- The maxillary sinuses are located over the cheek area, in the bone known as the maxilla, located under the eyes on both sides of the face.
- The ethmoid sinuses are located in the bone that divides the eyes and nose.
- The sphenoid sinuses are located in the sphenoid bone at the center of the skull, behind the eyes.
The sinuses are lined by mucous membranes that secrete fluid and are connected to the nasal cavity by small channels or ducts. The sinuses are sometimes collectively referred to as the paranasal sinuses because of their proximity to the nose.
Inflammation due to any cause can cause a buildup of fluid and increased sinus pressure, causing the typical symptoms of a sinus headache.
What To Do For Sinus Pressure And Pain At Home
Here are the top 10 at-hometreatments to help ease your sinus pain and inflammation to get rid of your sinus infection faster.
Vicks Vapoinhaler Portable Nasal Inhaler 2 Count
- Provides allergy medicine for sneezing, runny nose, itchy nose or throat, and itchy, watery eyes and cold symptoms like sneezing and runny nose.
- Works when you need it most with an allergy medicine in small, convenient antihistamine tablets that put your allergies to rest.
- 100-count pack of benadryl ultratabs antihistamine allergy relief tablets each containing 25 mg of the antihistamine diphenhydramine hcl for allergy relief that works when you need it most.
- Active ingredient, diphenhydramine hcl, provides relief for hay fever or other upper respiratory allergy symptoms and cold symptoms like sneezing and runny nose.
- Allergy medicine tablets for multi-symptom allergy relief intended to be used by adults and children ages six and up for relief of both indoor and outdoor allergies.
You May Like: Good Medicine For A Sinus Infection
Irrigate To Relieve Sinus Pressure
“Salt water irrigation is the best way to cleanse the nose and sinuses this can help prevent or relieve sinus pain. You can use an over-the-counter saline nasal spray, but I recommend using a sinus rinse bottle, neti pot, or bulb syringe irrigation kit that you can get at the drugstore,” advises Das.
Try this commonly-used, easy-to-make nasal irrigation solution with your own sinus irrigation kit: Fill a clean 8-ounce glass with distilled or sterilized lukewarm water. Do not use tap water unless it has been boiled for at least 1 minute . Add 1/2 teaspoon of non-iodized salt and a pinch of baking soda. And be sure to clean all equipment and make a fresh batch of solution each time you use your kit.
Remedies For Sinus Pain
For effective relief of pain and discomfort due to sinus congestion, many sinus pressure relief tablets contain a nasal decongestant and a pain reliever. Allergy and congestion relief tablets are available in 12-hour and 24-hour formulas to help you feel better. Other sinus pressure remedies contain guafenesin to help loosen mucus and clear your sinuses.
You May Like: Does A Sinus Infection Require Antibiotics
Best Medicines For Sinus Pressure 2020
If you are experiencing increased sinus pressure, it is possible that youre feeling significant pain around different areas of your face: this is most likely caused by an accumulation of mucus, which results in a congested sinus. Not only is it painful, but it also makes it difficult for you to go about your daily routine.
Fortunately, there isnt a need for us to simply soldier through the discomfort because of the sheer number of different treatments available for sinus pressure. However, it is not uncommon for people to accidentally delay relief as a cause of purchasing the wrong products when in the drugstore.
Prevent the expensive episode of trial and error and make sure to buy the best medicine for sinus pressure that works by checking out this buying guide.
What Is Acetaminophen And Why We Eliminate It Too
It can be unbearable to suffer from allergic symptoms, and it is natural to want to relieve yourself of pain and fever. Acetaminophen is a pain reliever, used for treating many conditions such as sinus, headache, backache, toothache and fever. It comes with side effects:
- Swelling of the tongue or lips
- Difficulty with breathing
- Serious skin reactions. Between 1969 and 2012, the Food and Drug Administration found that 67 people required hospitalization of which 12 died after skin reactions were reported after taking acetaminophen products. This comes from documented medical literature. One of the skin reactions linked to acetaminophen included Toxic Epidermal Necrolysis . You start with flu-like symptoms such as headache, aches and fever and progress to a blister-like rash. The skin starts peeling and the hair starts falling out. This skin reaction is often fatal.
There are different brands and forms of acetaminophen available, but all labeling warns you not to take more than is recommended. It can damage your liver, more so if you drink alcohol with it.
Read Also: The Best Over The Counter Sinus Medication
Otc Medicine For Sinus Congestion
When your sinuses become inflamed and congested, this means that the tiny, air-filled spaces that are connected to your nasal cavity have been blocked or are unable to drain normally. This buildup of mucus then causes a feeling of pressure or “fullness” in your forehead, eyes, or jaw. Luckily, OTC medications, such as acetaminophen or ibuprofen, can alleviate pain caused by the pressure buildup.
Here are the most common types of OTC medication for sinus congestion:
1. Decongestant: Nasal decongestants are available in tablets, liquids, and nasal sprays and work by reducing blood flow to the sinuses, ultimately reducing nasal swelling and inflammation. Popular nasal decongestants include:
- Phenylephrine with brand names Sudafed PE, Vicks Sinex, and Pretz-D.
- Pseudoephedrine with brand names Sudafed, Dimetapp Decongestant, and 12 Hour Cold Maximum Strength.
2. Pain reliever: There are two main categories of pain relievers:
3. Antihistamines: Antihistamines are commonly used to treat allergies, but they can be used to treat stomach problems and the common cold among other ailments. Antihistamines work by blocking the effects of histamine, which your immune system releases to protect against foreign invasions. Histamines cause symptoms like inflammation, congestion, a runny nose, and sneezing. So antihistamines are designed to alleviate those symptoms. Popular antihistamines include cetirizine and fexofenadine .
Differentiate Between Sinus Headache And Migraine Headache
Many people who assume they are having sinus pain due to sinus pressure are actually having a migraine headache. Migraine pain can involve the same nerves as the sinus cavities and is frequently accompanied by nasal congestion, nausea, and aggravation by bright light. “If sinus pain is caused by a migraine, the best natural treatment is lying down in a dark, quiet room,” advises Das.
Also Check: Buy Advil Cold And Sinus
Neti Pot Beats Steam For Sinus Congestion Relief
Rinsing nasal passages with saline solution may improve symptoms, study says
“People with chronic and recurrent sinusitis have poor quality of life, similar to having a major chronic disease,” said lead study author Dr. Paul Little, professor of primary care research at the University of Southampton in England.
“It is very nice to be able to provide something really simple that empowers people to manage this problem, helps them with their symptoms, reduces the need to take over-the-counter medications, and makes them less likely to want to see the doctor in future attacks,” he said.
More than 29 million American adults were diagnosed with sinusitis in 2014, according to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Sinusitis is an inflammation of the nasal cavities often caused by a virus, allergy, bacteria, fungus, or possibly an autoimmune reaction.
For those with chronic sinusitis, doctors often recommend steam inhalation or nasal irrigation — rinsing the sinuses with a saline solution.
The steam treatment group was asked to inhale steam for five minutes every day. They were directed to place a towel over their head and stand over a bowl of recently boiled water.
The results aren’t surprising, one doctor said.
The study was published July 18 in CMAJ.
The 5 Best Allergy Medicine
- A very effective nasal spray that doesnt affect your adrenal system. A powerful water-based formula, free of alcohol and scent anti-allergy.
Price when Reviewed: $8.99
One of the best and most effective reliefs that you can find in the market. It is a proven and tested 24-hour allergy relief product that can ease nasal congestion, sneezing, runny nose and itchy nose. It is perfect for regular usage because it is scent free and alcohol-free. You wont need to worry because as compared to other allergy relief products, there are no particular drowsiness side effects with this medicine. Its anti-inflammatory effect is very impressive. This medicine is also nonaddictive. Within 24 hours, you will immediately feel its great effects.
- Best Oral Antihistamine Strong results with limited site effects
Price when Reviewed: $20.25
This proven and tested tablets can instantly relief nasal congestion, sneezing, runny nose, and itchy nose. You will notice relief in just an hour. A very cost effective med. In terms of effects, you can never go wrong with Allegra.
- An Allergy Spray that is suitable for pregnant woman
Price when Reviewed: $18.64
- Good Reviews from customers and best seller on Amazon. Proven to work but FLONASE might cause irritation in your nose
Price when Reviewed: $18.33
- For Immediate Relief Fastest Results
Understand The Workings Of Allergy Meds
Antihistamines like Allegra and Claritin for instance as well as Zyrtec are marked with a D such as in Allegra-D. This tells you that it is an antihistamine with a decongestant which is known as pseudoephedrine.
In the United States, these drugs have to be bought from a pharmacist with a government ID. Zyrtec, Allegra and Claritin are all antihistamines, they all have different active ingredients but they all belong to the same family of drugs. Theyre non-sedating and very effective.
There are low-cost allergy generics available in various formulations tablet form, liquid form, and chewables all available without a prescription.
You cant really answer this question, which is the best allergy med? An allergist and professor, Dr Ein, gives advice on the matter, saying its the one that gives YOU the greatest relief with the fewest side effects at the lowest price. If one antihistamine isnt working for you, try another one.
Sinus Medicine High Blood Pressure
Also Check: Home Care For Sinus Infection
Can You Have Sinus Pressure But No Congestion
Can you have sinus pressure but no congestion? And if you can, does this mean you have a sinus infection that requires special treatment? If not, exactly what can mimic a sinus infection?
Unfortunately, the answers to this slippery slope of questions arent always so cut and dry. In particular, with a headache like this, theres a chance that its not a sinus headache, but a migraine. The treatment and causes of a migraine and sinus pressure are very different, but the symptoms can overlap significantly. These overlapping symptoms can lead to confusion and leave people at a loss for which types of treatment to pursue.
If youre feeling sinus pressure without the typical influx of mucus, heres what you need to know.
Which Sinus Headache Medicine Should I Use
If you notice pain or pressure behind your eyes around your sinuses, you may be suffering from a sinus headache. Frequent sinus headaches are certainly a cause for concern, and if you find yourself constantly congested, you should visit an ENT to discover the real root of the problem.
However, in the meantime, you can turn to over-the-counter drugs for a bit of temporary relief. Below, well discuss the three common types of sinus headache medicine and how they can help.
You May Like: Should I Exercise With A Sinus Infection
Some Disturbing Fact About Acetaminophen:
- Hundreds of deaths have been linked to taking just slightly more acetaminophen than the recommended dosage. The frightening aspect is that this can happen even if you have taken acetaminophen in the past and had no reaction.
- Acetaminophen is considered safe when taken as recommended. The serious part is when the line between what is considered a safe dose and a potentially lethal one is disturbingly fragile. Taken over a few days, as little as 25% over the maximum daily dose can cause liver damage.
- It was in 2009 that warnings on liver damage were added to the drugs label. The FDA issued a statement urging medical professionals to no longer prescribe prescription combination drug products that contain more than 325 mg of acetaminophen per tablet. Many manufacturers complied and yet there are still prescription products which contain more than the recommended maximum of 325 mg of acetaminophen on the market.
You should never take this medication without first getting advice from your doctor.
Acetaminophen is found in many combination medicines, and taking certain products together can lead to a fatal overdose. If you are treating a child, use a pediatric form of acetaminophen and the special dose-measuring dropper that comes with it.