What Are The Side Effects Of Ibuprofen And Pseudoephedrine
Get emergency medical help if you have signs of an allergic reaction or a severe skin reaction .
Get emergency medical help if you have signs of a heart attack or stroke: chest pain spreading to your jaw or shoulder, sudden numbness or weakness on one side of the body, slurred speech, leg swelling, feeling short of breath.
Stop using this medicine and call your doctor at once if you have:
- confusion, severe drowsiness, ringing in your ears, severe dizziness, feeling like you might pass out
- fast, pounding, or uneven heartbeat
- easy bruising or bleeding
- a skin rash, no matter how mild
- signs of stomach bleeding–bloody or tarry stools, coughing up blood or vomit that looks like coffee grounds
- liver problems–loss of appetite, stomach pain , tiredness, itching, dark urine, clay-colored stools, jaundice
- kidney problems–little or no urination, swelling in your feet or ankles, feeling tired or short of breath or
- nerve problems–fever, headache, neck stiffness, chills, increased sensitivity to light, seizure .
Common side effects may include:
- diarrhea, constipation
- sleep problems or
- flushing .
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
What Else Can I Do
Once you figure out what youâre allergic to, try to avoid it as much as you can.
Manage outside triggers:
- Stay inside on windy days, when more allergens will be in the air. Mid-morning and early evening are also good times to avoid the great outdoors. Thatâs when pollen counts are highest.
- Keep your house and car windows closed. Use air conditioning to cool and clean the air.
- Ask another family member or friend to take care of your yard chores. Mowing, raking, and gardening can stir up pollen and mold.
- Dry your clothes in a dryer. If theyâre outside on a clothesline, theyâll trap allergens.
Control indoor allergens:
- Keep your home free of dust. Clean with a wet mop instead of a broom.
- Use special covers on your box springs, mattress, and pillows to keep out dust mites. Wash your bedding each week in hot water, then dry on high heat.
Avoid pet allergens:
- Wash your hands after you touch any animal. If it lives in your home, keep it off your bed and out of your bedroom.
- Keep as few carpets and rugs in your home as you can. Wood floors, tile, and linoleum collect far less dander, the flakes of dead skin that cause most pet allergies. Vacuum any carpet you do have often.
No matter what kind of allergies you have, you can also:
Current Neurology and Neuroscience Reports: âAllergic Rhinitis and Chronic Daily Headaches: Is There a Link?â
Annals of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology: âPrevalence of migraine headaches in patients with allergic rhinitis.â
Worsening Of Medical Conditions
- Risk factors: History of serious side effects from other pain relievers | Stomach problems | Liver disease | Kidney disease | Heart disease or high blood pressure | Breathing problems | Thyroid disease | Diabetes | Glaucoma | Urinary conditions
Don’t take Advil Allergy Sinus if you have any of the risk factors listed above unless your provider said it is safe to do so. Taking Advil Allergy Sinus can worsen your condition and cause serious side effects. Make sure your provider knows about all medical conditions you have or have had in the past before starting Advil Allergy Sinus.
You May Like: Difference Between Migraine And Sinus Headache
Ask A Doctor Before Use If
- you have a breathing problem such as emphysema or chronic bronchitis
- stomach bleeding warning applies to you
- you have problems or serious side effects from taking pain relievers or fever reducers
- you have a history of stomach problems, such as heartburn
- you have high blood pressure, heart disease, liver cirrhosis, kidney disease, asthma, thyroid disease, diabetes, glaucoma, or trouble urinating due to an enlarged prostate gland
- you are taking a diuretic
How Many Advil Can I Take In One Day
Ask U.S. doctors your own question and get educational, text answers â it’s anonymous and free!
Ask U.S. doctors your own question and get educational, text answers â it’s anonymous and free!
HealthTap doctors are based in the U.S., board certified, and available by text or video.
You May Like: Does Advil Cold And Sinus Make You Drowsy
How Do You Use Equate Allergy Relief
Children should not be allowed to reach you. During the first week, use two sprays in each nostril once a day during the second week, use one or two sprays in each nostril once a day during the third week, use one or two sprays in each nostril once a day after 6 months of daily use ask. Children who use this product may experience slower growth rates.
Can You Take Antihistamine With Advil
Consequently, can I take ibuprofen with allergy medicine?
Interactions between your drugsNo interactions were found between Equate Allergy Relief and ibuprofen. This does not necessarily mean no interactions exist. Always consult your healthcare provider.
Beside above, does Advil contain antihistamine? Single ingredient Advil® products do not contain an antihistamine. The active ingredient in Advil® is ibuprofen which is part of a class of drugs called NSAIDs . If you are interested in an antihistamine, check out our Advil® Cold & Allergy Products.
Beside above, can Advil and Benadryl be taken together?
No interactions were found between Advil and Benadryl. This does not necessarily mean no interactions exist. Always consult your healthcare provider.
Can you take Claritin and Advil at the same time?
No interactions were found between Advil and Claritin. This does not necessarily mean no interactions exist. Always consult your healthcare provider.
Also Check: If Sinus Infection Is Left Untreated
How Are Sinus Headaches Diagnosed
Most of the time when people diagnose themselves with a sinus headache, its really a migraine. So, its important to see your healthcare provider to get an accurate diagnosis and appropriate treatment.
Your healthcare provider will perform a physical exam and ask about your symptoms. If your symptoms are severe or ongoing, you may also need imaging tests. A magnetic resonance imaging test can rule out serious brain conditions. Multiple imaging tests can reveal sinus blockages and include:
Is Ibuprofen Right For A Sinus Headache
Sometimes when you suffer from allergy or sinus congestion, you also have a headache that manifests as pain and pressure in your eyes, nose, cheeks and forehead. The pain may get worse upon bending over or lying down, and you may have additional symptoms including: runny nose, sore throat, cough and fatigue.
A sinus headache can be relentless and keep you from doing the things you need to do. So usually when people experience one, they seek relief as soon as they can. Often that relief comes in the form of ibuprofen, a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug . WebMD explains, It works by blocking your bodys production of certain natural substances that cause inflammation. This effect helps to decrease swelling, pain or fever.
You can purchase generic and name-brand ibuprofen , but you can also find it in a number of medications used for treating a variety of ailments, allergy and sinus-related and otherwise. For an extensive list of medications that contain ibuprofen, visit this page on Drugs.com.
There are also a high number of risks associated with using ibuprofen. Some of the minor side effects include:
- Sun sensitivity
If you experience any of these reactions severely and/or prolonged, stop taking the ibuprofen and seek immediate medical attention.
However, at CT Sinus Center, we offer a different solution.
Recommended Reading: Why Am I Always Getting Sinus Infections
Pharmacist Tips For Advil Allergy Sinus
You can take Advil Allergy Sinus with or without food. However, it’s best to take with food or milk to prevent getting an upset stomach.
Advil Allergy Sinus can make you sleepy and dizzy. Don’t drive until you realize the effects of the medication.
Stop using Advil Allergy Sinus and contact your provider if you have a fever that lasts more than 3 days, nasal congestion that lasts for more than 7 days, or if there is redness or swelling in a painful area. These might be signs of a serious infection or medical condition.
If you feel nervous, dizzy, or can’t sleep, or if your symptoms don’t go away or continue to get worse, or if any new symptoms appear while taking Advil Allergy Sinus, contact your provider because these might be signs of another underlying medication condition.
Don’t start any new medications while taking Advil Allergy Sinus, especially other antihistamines, NSAIDs, or decongestants, without talking to your provider or pharmacist first. Doing so can raise your risk of overdose and severe side effects, including kidney failure, seizures, hallucinations , daytime sleepiness, dizziness, stomach bleed, heart attack, or stroke, or even death.
If you’re taking aspirin for your heart and your provider said it was safe to also take Advil Allergy Sinus, make sure to take Advil Allergy Sinus at least 8 hours before taking aspirin or 30 minutes after taking aspirin. Taking both medications at the same time will lower the amount of aspirin your body will absorb.
Is Advil Cold And Sinus Safe
The decongestant in Advil Cold& Sinus relieves congestion to help relieve your stuffy nose and ibuprofen relieves pain. Advil Cold& Sinus is a safe, non-prescription drug that can be used by people 12 years and older. Its available behind the pharmacy counter at your local drugstore or grocery store.
Also Check: Will A Bacterial Sinus Infection Go Away
Stop Use And Ask A Doctor If
- you experience any of the following signs of stomach bleeding:
- feel faint
- have bloody or black stools
- have stomach pain that does not get better
Who Should Not Take This Medication
Do not take this medication if you:
- are allergic or sensitive to ibuprofen, pseudoephedrine, or any ingredients of the medication
- are allergic to other NSAIDs or ASA
- are about to have or have just had heart surgery
- are dehydrated due to vomiting, diarrhea, or not drinking enough fluids
- are taking another NSAID
- are pregnant or breast-feeding
- have taken a monoamine oxidase inhibitor within the last 14 days
- have thyroid disease
Don’t Miss: Cold Medicine For Sinus Drainage
Can You Take Cold And Sinus And Allergy Pills Together
Sometimes its hard to tell whether your childs runny nose and sneezing is caused by allergies or a cold thats spreading. In spite of this, the Food and Drug Administration warns that knowing the difference is crucial to avoiding over-medication.
Pharmacist Tips For Advil Allergy And Congestion Relief
You can take Advil Allergy and Congestion Relief with or without food. However, it’s best to take with food or milk to prevent getting an upset stomach.
Advil Allergy and Congestion Relief can make you sleepy and dizzy. Don’t drive until you realize the effects of the medication.
Stop using Advil Allergy and Congestion Relief and contact your provider if you have a fever that lasts more than 3 days, nasal congestion that lasts for more than 7 days, or if there is redness or swelling in a painful area. These might be signs of a serious infection or medical condition.
If you get nervous, dizzy, or can’t sleep, or if any new symptoms appear or your symptoms get worse, stop taking Advil Allergy and Congestion Relief. Contact your provider right away because these might be signs of a more serious medical condition.
Don’t start any new medications while taking Advil Allergy and Congestion Relief, especially other antihistamines, NSAIDs, or decongestants, without talking to your provider or pharmacist first. Doing so can raise your risk of overdose and severe side effects, including kidney failure, seizures, hallucinations , daytime sleepiness, dizziness, stomach bleed, heart attack, or stroke, or even death.
If you’re allergic to aspirin, talk to your provider or pharmacist before starting Advil Allergy and Congestion Relief because you might be allergic to this medication as well.
You May Like: Over The Counter Medication For Sinus Congestion
How Long Does It Take For Advil Cold And Sinus To Work
Instantly helps you feel. Instantly helps you feel better and controls symptoms so you can get through the day. I am overly sensitive to products making me drowsy and I can honestly say I avoid that with this product. Usually kicks in within an hour and 1 dose helps me get through an 8 hour workday.
Advil Allergy & Congestion Relief
Advil Allergy & Congestion Relief treats your toughest allergy symptomsincluding nasal congestion. Most allergy medicines dont do that. The ibuprofen in Advil combined with an antihistamine and a decongestant helps relieve upper respiratory symptoms associated with allergies.
Advil Allergy & Congestion Relief treats your multi-symptom sinus and allergy needs with just one tablet by combining the power of Advil and a proven decongestant to reduce swelling due to sinus pressure and nasal congestion, plus an effective antihistamine to relieve sneezing, runny nose and your other allergy symptoms.
Take on all your tough allergy symptoms with Advil Allergy & Congestion Relief.
Temporarily relieves these symptoms associated with hay fever or other upper respiratory allergies and the common cold:
- runny nose
- itching of the nose or throat
12 years of age and older:
- 1 tablet every 4 hours while symptoms persist
- Do not use more than 6 tablets in 24 hours unless directed by a doctor
Under 12 years of age:
- Do not use
*Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug
Use as directed. Read complete warnings and information.
Also Check: Does Nasal Spray Help With Sinus Pressure
What Happens If I Overdose
Seek emergency medical attention or call the Poison Help line at 1-800-222-1222. An overdose of acetaminophen can be fatal.
The first signs of an acetaminophen overdose include loss of appetite, nausea, vomiting, stomach pain, sweating, and confusion or weakness. Later symptoms may include pain in your upper stomach, dark urine, and yellowing of your skin or the whites of your eyes.
What Are Some Options For Sinus Headache Treatment
You can try some at-home lifestyle remedies, including drinking more fluids, using a humidifier or vaporizer to moisten the air, and using a saltwater nasal spray. You may also want to try applying a warm, wet towel to your face to help provide some relief.
In addition, the following are some common types of sinus headache treatment:
- Antihistamines These can help if your sinus headaches are caused by allergies, since they reduce or block histamines and help reduce inflammation and swelling. They are available over-the-counter and also by prescription and come in tablet or nasal spray form.
- These oral or nasal medications can help reduce the amount of swelling and mucus in your nasal passages. They shouldnt be used in the long-term, however.
- Nasal steroid sprays These are available by prescription or over the counter and can help reduce pain and congestion.
- Antibiotics These can be used if your doctor thinks your sinusitis is caused by a bacterial infection. Most infections, however, are viral, and if this is the case, antibiotics wont help.
- Pain medication Medications such as ibuprofen, acetaminophen, or naproxen sodium can be used.
If medications dont improve your symptoms, your doctor may recommend surgery depending on the exact cause of your sinusitis and sinus headaches. The goal of surgery is to correct the underlying issue to provide long-term relief.
Surgical options can include the following:
Recommended Reading: Generic Brand For Zyrtec
What Is The Recommended Dosage For Advil Pm Liqui
The recommended dose of Advil PM Liqui-Gels is two capsules at bedtime, for adults and children 12 years and older. The two capsule dose contains a combined total of 400 mg of ibuprofen and 50 mg of diphenhydramine hydrochloride. You should not take more than 2 capsules in 24 hours. Stop use and ask a doctor if: pain gets worse or lasts more than 10 days or if sleeplessness persists continuously for more than 2 weeks.
What Is Diphenhydramine Citrate
Diphenhydramine Citrate is a gentle, non-habit forming sleep aid that helps you get a full nights sleep. It has been used for over 50 years, and has had a long history of safe and effective use when used as directed. Each Advil PM caplet contains 200 mg of ibuprofen and 38 mg of diphenhydramine citrate. This patented bi-layer formula not only reduces your pain, it shortens the time it takes to fall asleep and increases the duration of your sleep.
Recommended Reading: Best Medicine To Clear Up Sinus Infection
Benadryl Severe Allergy/sinus Headache Warnings
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or if you have heart disease, high blood pressure, seizure disorders, asthma, emphysema, diabetes, glaucoma, or an overactive thyroid.
- If your symptoms do not improve within 7 days or if they get worse, call your doctor. If you have a severe sore throat, fever, or thick yellow or green mucus, call your doctor.
- This medicine might contain phenylalanine . This is only a concern if you have a disorder called phenylketonuria . Talk to your doctor before using this medicine.
- This medicine can make you drowsy or restless. Avoid taking at bedtime if it makes you restless. Avoid driving, using machines, or doing anything else that could be dangerous if you are not alert.
- If you are allergic to aspirin, you may also be allergic to ibuprofen. Ask your pharmacist or read the medicine label to see what kind of pain medicine this product contains.
- If your medicine contains aspirin and has a vinegar smell, do not use it.
- Some brands of this medicine may contain alcohol. Read the label carefully or ask your pharmacist so you know what is in your product.
- Children may be more sensitive to this medicine than adults, especially if they take too much. Always read the medicine label closely so you give your child the right amount. Ask your pharmacist or doctor if you are not sure how much medicine to give your child.