What Kind Of Doctor Or Other Healthcare Professional Treats Sinus Headache
- Frequently, sinus headaches are managed by primary care physicians including those that specialize in internal medicine, family medicine, or pediatrics.
- For complicated cases, an ear, nose, and throat specialist may be consulted.
- With unusual infections, such as fungal infections, a specialist in infectious diseases may be consulted.
Things To Take Into Consideration
As you compare and contrast your options, it is clear that sinus pressure medicines can be vastly different from each other: this is because different people react differently to certain formulations, so pharmaceutical companies have developed various options to address each persons experience effectively.
Depending on your own bodys needs, as well as your personal preferences, it may be ideal to choose one option over another. Choose the best medicine for sinus pressure by remembering these main considerations when you step into the store.
- Treatment Form. Sinus pressure is the result of an accumulation of mucus, which commonly occurs as a cause of a viral or bacterial infection. Most of the treatments you will find for sinus pressure are geared towards resolving the symptom only and dont actually address the infection that initially caused the problem. Regardless, these products are highly effective at providing temporary relief of sinus congestion discomfort.
Most commonly, sinus pressure remedies come in three forms:
- Pills. Ideal for people on the go, capsules, and tablets are the slowest acting remedy. Despite this, however, they offer the longest-lasting results. Some pills target more than just sinus congestion, making them an effective remedy for holistic relief. Whats more, pills are also a convenient option for people on the go as theyre fairly easy to take.
Do You Need To Take Your Dog To The Vet For A Stuffy Nose
In many cases, simple things like a runny nose or a stuffy nose are not troubling enough to warrant a trip to the vet. This is especially true if the congestion resolves on its own within a 24 hours or so and your dog appears healthy in most other ways .
However, if the congestion lasts for more than a couple of days,only seems to affect one nostril, or if it is accompanied by a fever or green nasal discharge, you should take your dog in for an examination.
Additionally, if you note any neurological problems holding the head in unusual positions, loss of balance, uncoordinated movements youll want to take your dog in promptly.
Dont have easy access to a vet? You may want to consider getting help from JustAnswer a service that provides instant virtual-chat access to a certified vet online.
You can discuss the issue with them, and even share video or photos if need be. The online vet can help you determine what your next steps should be.
While talking with your own vet who understands the ins and outs of your dogs history is probably ideal, JustAnswer is a good backup option.
Recommended Reading: Sinus Pressure Points On Feet
Is Pseudoephedrine Safe Why Is It Sold Behind The Counter
Pseudoephedrine is safe and effective when taken as directed. But some people use OTC pseudoephedrine illegally. They combine it with other products to make methamphetamine . Meth is an illegal and dangerous street drug. To help keep people from making meth, OTC medicines that contain pseudoephedrine are sold behind the counter. In most states, you dont need a prescription from your doctor to buy these medicines. But you will have to ask your pharmacist for them. Additional restrictions include:
- Limit on the amount you can purchase each month.
- You must show photo identification when purchasing the medicine.
- Stores must record and keep personal information about customers who buy the medicine.
Some states have more requirements for medicines containing pseudoephedrine. These requirements may include a doctors prescription.
Best Decongestants For Adults
A person who experiences nasal congestion due to allergies may benefit from taking an antihistamine or nasal corticosteroid.
Otherwise, there is insufficient evidence to show that other types of decongestants are effective in alleviating nasal congestion. Nonetheless, a person may want to see if a particular decongestant works for them.
Some decongestants are not suitable for people with certain medical conditions. Others may interact with medications a person is taking.
It is important that an individual sees their doctor before taking a decongestant medication. A doctor can provide advice on the safest and most effective one to use.
A person should talk to their doctor before giving a child a decongestant or any medication for an allergy or URI.
The Food and Drug Administration advise parents and guardians to avoid giving decongestants or antihistamines to children under two years of age. Many manufacturers extend the warning to children of 4 years of age and younger.
An issue with giving these medications to children is that they often contain multiple ingredients. Parents or guardians may accidentally give the child too much of a particular drug, which can result in poisoning.
The recommend the following for alleviating congestion and other cold symptoms in children:
The NCPC say there is no evidence that decongestants and other cough and cold medications are effective in young children.
Read Also: Best Things To Eat With Sinus Infection
Neilmed Sinus Rinse Starter Kit
For effective removal of accumulated mucus, NeilMed Sinus Rinse Starter Kit can be an ideal product. This formulation allows users to achieve a deep rinse, cleaning out most of the accumulation to free out the airways. Whats more, the rinse also incorporates safe ingredients, making it a safe solution for users as young as 2 years of age.
The rinse is highly effective, providing relief from congestion for up to 6 hours after use. The only concern that some users have with the product is that it can be a hassle to use, especially when you are out or away from home.
How To Use Decongestants
Most decongestants should only be used between 1 and 4 times a day.
Check the patient information leaflet that comes with your medicine for advice about how much to take and how often to take it.
If you’re not sure, ask a pharmacist for advice.
Speak to a GP if your symptoms do not improve after this time.
Recommended Reading: Can You Heal A Sinus Infection Without Antibiotics
Feeling Fully Plugged Reach For A Decongestant
In almost all cases of nasal congestion, the main cause of that stuffed up feeling is inflammation, which makes tissues in nasal passageways swell, explains Jonathan Auth, MD, a at CHOC Childrens, a healthcare system based in Orange, California.
Oral and nasal decongestants work by shrinking the swollen blood vessels in the nose and air passages, with nasal decongestants offering the fastest relief. Thats because the medicine goes straight to the site of congestion without going through your body first, so there are fewer side effects than with oral decongestants, explains , department head and professor of pharmacy practice at the University of Illinois at Chicago College of Pharmacy.
However, nasal decongestants come with a major drawback: Nasal sprays can be used only for a short time because of the rebound effect, she says.
The rebound effect means the congestion can come back even stronger when the drug is discontinued, so you have to take more of it this can also lead to dependency on the drug. As Michael Seidman, MD, an otolaryngologist in Kissimmee, Florida, puts it, Dont use a nasal decongestant for more than two to three days, or else the nose becomes addicted to it.
An increased heart rate is a possible side effect of decongestant use, so these drugs should be avoided if you have high blood pressure, heart disease, or an .
Can You Get Rid Of A Sinus Infection Without Antibiotics
Many sinus infections are caused by a virus like the common cold and do not require antibiotics for treatment. If you have mild symptoms, OTC medications may help relieve your symptoms until you feel better. However, consult your healthcare provider if symptoms worsen or do not improve after seven days, or if at any time you have intense/severe pain or pressure, or a high fever.
Don’t Miss: Best Over The Counter For Sinus Pressure
Types Of Otc Nasal Sprays
OTC nasal sprays can be categorized by their active ingredients .
- Steroid. OTC steroid nasal sprays are mean to reduce inflammation. Thats why theyre recommended for treating allergies and chronic sinusitis. The steroid sprays may contain budesonide or fluticasone.
- Antihistamine. Antihistamine sprays are meant to blunt the impact of an allergen that your body is reacting to. These products are mostly recommended for allergies. Active antihistamine ingredients in nasal sprays are azelastine or olopatadine.
- Nasal decongestant. These types of sprays aim to shrink irritated blood vessels that line your nose, reducing inflammation to help you breathe more easily. Ingredients may include oxymetazoline hydrochloride or phenylephrine hydrochloride.
- Saline. Saline sprays dont contain active ingredients, but they can loosen mucus and help you to breathe more easily.
What Is A Sinus Infection
A sinus infection, also known as sinusitis or rhinosinusitis, is a condition where the tissues lining the nasal passages become inflamed. Sinus infections are very common, affecting nearly 30 million people in the U.S. each year, and a large percentage of these infections resolve on their own. Common sinusitis symptoms include nasal congestion, sore throat, headache, and facial pain.
Simply explained, a sinus infection occurs when there is an infection in the sinuses, a connected system of air-filled spaces in the skull. Under normal conditions, mucus drains out so that air can pass through sinus cavities. When fluid builds up in the sinuses, germs grow and an infection can occur.
Sinus infections can cause facial discomfort because of nasal congestion. You may experience a headache, pain behind the eyes, and facial tenderness or swelling. Other sinus infection symptoms are similar to having a bad cold or intense allergies including nasal discharge, postnasal drip, fatigue, sinus pressure, loss of sense of smell, throat irritation, and even a fever.
Typically triggered by allergies or a cold, a sinus infection can take many forms. Acute sinusitis may cause mild symptoms and go away quickly without antibiotics. These cases are often caused by a viral infection like the common cold and do not require anything more than symptomatic treatment for your comfort.
Don’t Miss: Bc Powder For Sinus Headache
Inhale Menthol And Camphor
Another inhaled odor that can help open up sinus passages is menthol, which is an ingredient in popular ointments that are used specifically to treat a stuffy nose. These ointments also contain eucalyptus oil and camphor, which combine with menthol to create a powerful scent that immediately relieves sinus pressure. This ointment can be rubbed on your chest and under your nose to deliver its soothing benefits. Unlike eucalyptus oil, this ointment should not be placed in the mouth.
How To Use Chest
Take this medication by mouth with or without food, as directed by your doctor. If you are self-treating, follow all directions on the product package. To prevent trouble sleeping, do not take this medication close to bedtime. If you have any questions, ask your doctor or pharmacist.
Dosage is based on your age, medical condition, and response to treatment. Do not increase your dose or take this drug more often than directed.
Guaifenesin may have a bitter taste. Swallow capsules and tablets whole. Scored tablets may be split for lower doses. Chewable tablets may be swallowed whole or chewed.
Drink plenty of fluids while taking this medication. Fluids will help to break up mucus and clear congestion.
If you are using the liquid form of this medication, carefully measure the dose using a special measuring device/spoon. Do not use a household spoon because you may not get the correct dose. If your liquid form is a suspension, shake the bottle well before each dose.
Tell your doctor if your condition is accompanied by fever, severe sore throat, rash, persistent headache, or if it persists, returns, or worsens after 7 days. These may be signs of a serious medical problem. Seek immediate medical attention if you think you may have a serious medical problem.
Also Check: Sinus Headache How To Get Rid Of
How To Use Phenylephrine 10 Mg Tablet Oral Decongestants
If you are using the over-the-counter product, read and follow all directions on the product package before taking this medication.
Take this medication by mouth with or without food or as directed by your doctor. Taking it with food may decrease stomach upset.
If you are using the liquid, carefully measure your prescribed dose using a medication-measuring device or spoon. Do not use a household spoon because you may not get the correct dose.
If you are using chewable tablets, chew each tablet thoroughly before swallowing.
If you are using a product made to dissolve in the mouth , dry your hands before handling the medication. Place each dose on the tongue and allow to dissolve completely, then swallow it with saliva or with water.
The dosage is based on your age. Do not increase your dose or take this medication more often than directed without your doctor’s approval. Improper use of this medication may result in serious harm .
If your symptoms worsen or do not improve after 7 days, if you develop fever/chills, or if you think you may have a serious medical problem, seek immediate medical attention.
Best Medicines For Chest Congestion 2020
Congestion throughout the sinus is one thing, but congestion in the chest is a completely different problem. Giving you a heavy feeling when you breathe and a chesty quality to your cough, chest congestion can make anyone feel weak. However, for as difficult and tiring as chest congestion might feel, it is one of the most common symptoms of the common cold and flu.
Luckily, no one has to suffer through the pains of chest congestion, especially these days when affordable and accessible remedies are available. Of course, it is easy to be able to simply walk into a drugstore and ask for the best medicine for chest congestion, but choosing can be difficult with so many options available. How do you know which is the right one?
Find out how to choose the best chest decongestant by taking cues from this helpful buying guide.
Don’t Miss: Sinus Infection Do I Need To See A Doctor
Inhale Diffused Eucalyptus Oil
Eucalyptus oil has a strong odor that often helps patients find instant relief from sinusitis. Research has found that cineole, the main ingredient in eucalyptus oil, helps people recover from sinus infections more quickly than those who dont use eucalyptus oil. You can inhale eucalyptus oil through a diffuser, or rub some on your temples and chest to open your breathing passages. You can even use food-grade eucalyptus oil and place a drop on the roof of your mouth.
Navage Nasal Care Deluxe Bundle: Navage Nose Cleaner 20 Saltpods Triple
as of December 27, 2021 6:10 am
- Your NOSE is the bodys AIR FILTER, the first line of defense against airborne particulates. Now you can keep your nose clean with easy-to-use Naväge nasal rinse!
- Naväge uses POWERED SUCTION to FLUSH OUT ragweed, pollen, encrusted mucus, and airborne particulates. Naväge is the worlds ONLY nose cleaner with powered suction. Youll love that clean-nose feeling!
- Bundle includes Naväge Nose Cleaner with 20 Naväge SaltPods inside the box, Triple-Tier Countertop Caddy, Naväge Travel Bag, 1 pair of Standard Nose Pillows, and batteries. $142.85 if purchased separately. You save $27.90!
- Custom-made for the Nose Cleaner, the Naväge Travel Bag has a robust faux-leather exterior with a luxurious faux-fur interior to protect your Nose Cleaner from bumps and scratches.
- Naväge operates only with genuine Naväge SaltPod capsules. Make good nasal hygiene, your new normal. CLEAN NOSE, HEALTHY LIFE!
Recommended Reading: Can A Bad Tooth Cause Sinus Problems
What To Do About Your Stuffy Nose And Congestion
A stuffy nose can be an annoying condition that can linger for days or even weeks. There are many underlying causes for a stuffy nose , but, contrary to popular belief, the nostrils are not clogged by mucus.
This article explores the causes of a stuffy nose and the various drug and non-drug treatments. It also explains when to call a doctor if the symptoms persist or are a sign of something more serious.
What Medications Are Used To Treat Sinus Infections
First and foremost, if you are suffering from an active bacterial sinus infection you may be treated with antibiotics. Depending on whether you have acute sinusitis or chronic sinusitis will determine your course of therapy.As acute sinusitis may require 10 -14 days of antibiotic therapy chronic sinusitis may need to be treated for up to 30 days with medication.Remember Most cases of sinusitis are caused by viruses such as the common cold and will clear up within 10 or so days. In this case, antibiotics will not be helpful as antibiotics kill bacteria not viruses. Based upon your symptoms, medical history and physical examination your doctor will help determine if antibiotics are necessary.
Sinus headaches hurt. Sometimes the pain and pressure can make basic everyday activities impossible to do. So many times those suffering from sinusitis will take an over the counter medication such as acetaminophen or ibuprofen . Make sure to follow the labeled directions and see your doctor if your symptoms havent improved after a week or if they worsen.
Aerosolized antibiotics, steroids and antifugal treatments:
These may be administered through an aerosol or a nasal rinse. Frequently a compounding pharmacy is required to create this rinse.
Don’t Miss: Does Mucinex Help With Sinus Drainage
Boost Oxygen Supplemental Oxygen To Go
as of December 27, 2021 6:10 am
- ALL-NATURAL RESPIRATORY SUPPORT – Boost Oxygen provides pure, natural Oxygen – free from stimulants and additives like caffeine and sugars – in a convenient, lightweight and portable can.
- 95% PURE SUPPLEMENTAL OXYGEN – Every cell in the human body requires Oxygen to function. Boost Oxygen supports healthy brain and cellular function by delivering 95% pure supplemental Oxygen over the counter, no prescription needed.
- PORTABLE OXYGEN THERAPY – From athletes to those experiencing shortness of breath, the benefits of Oxygen Therapy are well-documented. Boost Oxygen makes it easy to enjoy these benefits on the go!
- DAILY USE – Start your morning with Boost Oxygen for a stimulant free wake-up, take a Boost Break with a deep inhale to clear your mind and reduce stress levels, recover faster during and after workouts, increase your focus and mental sharpness.
- OXYGEN TO GO – Help Is Here for you wherever you are!