Dry Nose & Sinuses: Symptoms Causes & Treatment In Denver
Dry sinuses are a common problem in Colorado. The dry climate and cool air can cause frustrating dryness symptoms. ENT experts can help you determine the source of your dry sinuses so you can find true, lasting relief.
Dry sinuses develop when the mucous membranes in your nose and sinus cavities dont contain enough moisture. If the walls of the nasal and sinus passages lack moisture, uncomfortable symptoms can manifest such as pain and swelling, nosebleeds, and even sinus infections. Dry sinuses can often be relieved with home remedies and lifestyle changes, but severe dryness should be evaluated and diagnosed by a doctor to determine the best treatment.
When To See A Doctor For Sinus Pain
If your sinus symptoms are not getting better with at-home treatments, and if your sinus symptoms last longer than seven to 10 days, you should see a doctor for treatment. Allina Health has many convenient care options for care, from online visits to walk-in care, to help you get better fast.
If you have frequent or reoccurring sinus infections, you may want to see an ear, nose and throat for your treatment options.
Recommended Reading: Sinus Infection In Head Symptoms
Can You Have Sinus Pressure But No Congestion
Can you have sinus pressure but no congestion? And if you can, does this mean you have a sinus infection that requires special treatment? If not, exactly what can mimic a sinus infection?
Unfortunately, the answers to this slippery slope of questions arent always so cut and dry. In particular, with a headache like this, theres a chance that its not a sinus headache, but a migraine. The treatment and causes of a migraine and sinus pressure are very different, but the symptoms can overlap significantly. These overlapping symptoms can lead to confusion and leave people at a loss for which types of treatment to pursue.
If youre feeling sinus pressure without the typical influx of mucus, heres what you need to know.
Don’t Miss: Saline Solution For Sinus Pressure
Pregnant And Breastfeeding Women
It’s not clear whether it’s safe to take any type of decongestant if you’re pregnant, so you should only use them if told to by a healthcare professional.
Some decongestants that come as nose sprays or drops are safe to use if you’re breastfeeding, but check with a pharmacist or GP first before using them.
The patient information leaflet that comes with your medicine will say who should not use it and who should get advice before using it.
Main Sinus Pressure Points To Relieve Sinuses And Nasal Congestion
Massaging your sinus pressure points can help relieve tension and unblock the sinus cavities, especially if you have a runny or stuffy nose. Sometimes, sinus pain can easily be connected to toothaches. For that, you can book an appointment at SLDC in Pyrmont, NSW, to determine the underlying cause of your pain. In any case, the best way to relieve sinus pressure and other pain symptoms at home is through acupressure. This is a traditional Chinese treatment that is based on acupuncture methods. However, instead of needles, you will apply pressure at some points on your face and body using your hands and fingers. Keep reading to learn about the pressure points for sinus relief and the proper way to do it.
Massaging your sinus pressure points can help relieve tension and unblock the sinus cavities, especially if you have a runny or stuffy nose. Sometimes, even sinus pain can easily be connected to toothaches. If thats the case, you can book an appointment at SLDC in Pyrmont, NSW, or any nearby dental clinic to determine the underlying cause of your pain. In any case, the best way to relieve sinus pressure and other pain symptoms at home is through acupressure. This is a traditional Chinese treatment that is based on acupuncture methods. However, instead of needles, you will apply pressure at some points on your face and body using your hands and fingers. Keep reading to learn about the pressure points for sinus relief and the proper way to do it.
Recommended Reading: How To Relieve A Sinus Migraine
Cold & Flu: Runny Nose During The Cold Season
HOW TO STOP A RUNNY NOSE & CONTROL YOUR SNEEZING
Nothing is more irritating than constant sneezing or a runny nose that just wont quit. Thankfully, there are steps you can take to get relief for your nose. But before we can put that tissue box away, we need to figure out what causes sneezing and all that sniffling.
WHY DOES YOUR NOSE RUN?
Your nose is a complex organ that acts as a gatekeeper against the germs and allergens in the environment. Even when youre not sick, your nose is lined with mucus. When you inhale bacteria, viruses, or allergens, your mucus production can go into overdrive to flush out the invading cells. Taking the right medicine will help if your runny nose is a symptom of your cold, flu, or allergies, but there are other runny nose remedies you can try to get that dripping under control.
HOW TO STOP A RUNNY NOSE
Dont let your nose turn into a faucet. If youre tired of reaching for a tissue box, try the following runny nose home remedies:
- Drink plenty of fluids to thin your mucus, allowing it to drain faster
- Try using a neti pot, which is designed for nasal irrigation, to clear out your mucus
- Elevate your head by at least 10 inches while sleeping
- Use a humidifier to further thin your mucus and add soothing moisture into the air
HOW TO STOP SNEEZING
IS IT A COLD OR IS IT THE FLU?
Though there is a lot of overlap between how you feel when suffering from a cold or flu, some of your symptoms can help you figure out the underlying cause.
Five Ways To Relieve Sinus Pressure
The pain, facial pressure and congestion of sinus infections affect more than 26.9 million Americans roughly 11 percent of adults, according to the Centers for Disease Control. Most sinus infections, also called sinusitis, do not need to be treated with antibiotics, and will usually go away within 7-10 days.
One of the most annoying symptoms is the sinus pressure around the eyes, head and cheeks. Fortunately, there are several home remedies and medications that can help provide relief.
Recommended Reading: Best Allergy Medication For Sinus Pressure
Fever And Pain Reducers
If you have a fever and/or pain, take two acetaminophen tablets. After four hours, if you still have pain or fever, take two ibuprofen tablets. You can rotate these every four hours.
Valdez said it is very important to be careful when combining all these medicines to make sure you are not doubling up on a single agent. “Some of these medications may contain a lower dose of any of the above mentioned agents, so check the labels carefully.”
Remember those agents are: acetaminophen or ibuprofen for fever/pain, dextromethorphan for cough and pseudoephedrine or phenylephrine and guaifenesin for decongestants and expectorants.
Lastly, Valdez said to keep the following in mind:
- If you have a fever, do not go into work or school you should be fever free for 24 hours.
- Rest is the best medicine. Let the virus run its course if your body is run down it will take it longer to fight off the infection.
- To prevent sinus infections, get a flu shot , wash your hands often and cover your cough and sneeze.
What Causes A Nose To Run
A runny nose is a symptom of inflamed nasal tissues. These tissues become inflamed when a foreign object enters the nasal passageway, such as an allergen. Therefore, the body produces mucus to drive the allergen out of the passageway. Mucus is usually clear but sometimes can become yellowish or green. This is a sign of infection, a more serious problem that requires medical attention. There are, however, numerous over-the-counter medicine to help deal with these symptoms until a doctors visit.
Read Also: Can Clindamycin Treat A Sinus Infection
The Best Medicine For Runny Nose Sneezing And Itchy Watery Eyes:
Antihistamines, as noted above, are often found in combination cold and flu medication because they help treat sniffling, sneezing, itchy, and watery eyes and are the best meds for drying up a runny nose. Options include doxylamine , brompheniramine , and diphenhydramine . Some antihistamines also help you sleep through the night because they can cause drowsiness.
Matys Simply Breathe Nasal Ointment Petroleum Free Helps Relieve Dry Irritated Noses & Nighttime Stuffiness 5 Oz
as of December 25, 2021 2:30 am
- Drug-free Relief from Dry Noses*: This easy-to-apply, organic nasal moisturizer is intended to help with issues related to a dry nose such as: dry climate, air travel, sleep disruptions, breathing machine use, nosebleeds & more
- Free from Petroleum & Fragrances: Safe for all ages, our nasal spray alternative helps open nasal passages & relieves dry, irritated noses for a comfortable nights rest
- Made with Pure, Simple, Natural Ingredients: Each of our products are naturally drug-free and derived from ingredients you know, recognize and can pronounce
- Intentionally Crafted Remedies: At Matys, we believe in the power of Mother Nature and functional foods to help you feel better, using only real ingredients to provide real relief
- Feel Better About Feeling Better: Were confident our natural remedies will be just right for you & your family, but if youre not satisfied for any reason, well offer you a full refund Plus, when you purchase any Matys product we give back to families & communities in need of life-changing vitamins and supplements
You May Like: Walmart Brand Advil Cold And Sinus
What Is Acetaminophen And Why We Eliminate It Too
It can be unbearable to suffer from allergic symptoms, and it is natural to want to relieve yourself of pain and fever. Acetaminophen is a pain reliever, used for treating many conditions such as sinus, headache, backache, toothache and fever. It comes with side effects:
- Swelling of the tongue or lips
- Difficulty with breathing
- Serious skin reactions. Between 1969 and 2012, the Food and Drug Administration found that 67 people required hospitalization of which 12 died after skin reactions were reported after taking acetaminophen products. This comes from documented medical literature. One of the skin reactions linked to acetaminophen included Toxic Epidermal Necrolysis . You start with flu-like symptoms such as headache, aches and fever and progress to a blister-like rash. The skin starts peeling and the hair starts falling out. This skin reaction is often fatal.
There are different brands and forms of acetaminophen available, but all labeling warns you not to take more than is recommended. It can damage your liver, more so if you drink alcohol with it.
Best Medicine For Runny Nose
What is the best medicine for runny nose? Almost everyone experiences this annoying problem, and whether you are a child in school or a businessman at work, you will find it difficult to go through the day with this burden and may want to get the answer for this question eagerly. Then you need to know the causes to treat it accordingly. The most common cause of excess drainage from your nose is a common cold, but you can also have one when you have allergies or a sinus infection. A runny nose is sometimes accompanied by cough, headache and earache, depending on the underlying cause. Although it is not a serious condition, you may want to know how to treat a runny nose fast, so read on.
Recommended Reading: Do You Sneeze With Sinus Infection
Why Is My Nose Runny In The Morning
A runny nose in the morning is often caused by allergic rhinitis. Allergic rhinitis is swelling of the mucus membranes and production of mucus because of exposure to some sort of allergen while you are sleeping. This could be anything from dust to dust mites to pollen to the waste of rodents or roaches.
The Best Medicine For Fever Sore Throat And/or Aches And Pains:
Acetaminophen, best known by the brand name Tylenol, is primarily used as a fever reducer, although research in the Cochrane Database of Systemic Reviews suggests it may also relieve cold-related aches and pains. Acetaminophen is safe for most people if taken as directed. It is found in many combination remedies, such as Tylenol Cold + Flu Severe Caplets and Vicks Dayquil Cold & Flu Relief Liquicaps.
Because overdoing acetaminophen can cause serious harm to the liver, avoid using more than one product that contains it at a time to avoid exceeding the FDA-suggested daily dose of 3,000 milligrams for adults per 24-hour period.
Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs , which include aspirin, ibuprofen , and naproxen , reduce fever as well as inflammation throughout the body. Other research in the Cochrane Database of Systemic Reviews found that NSAIDs can greatly lessen discomfort due to headache, ear pain, muscle pain, joint pain, and sneezing.
Note: Some cold and flu remedies such as Excedrin contain both acetaminophen and an NSAID.
If youre still having a hard time navigating the cold medication aisle, talk to the pharmacist. With a little customized guidance about ingredients, you may be able to enjoy better symptom relief.
Additional reporting by Nuna Alberts.
Also Check: Nevada Ear And Sinus Institute Reviews
Sambucol Black Elderberry Cold & Flu Relief Tablets 30 Ct
$ as of December 25, 2021 2:30 am
- Contains box of quick dissolve tablets of Sambucol Black Elderberry Cold & Flu Relief
- Sambucol Black Elderberry Cold & Flu Relief provides fast, temporary, homeopathic relief from cold & flu symptoms like nasal and sinus congestion, runny nose, sore throat, coughing, sneezing, chills & fever Take at the first sign of cold and flu symptoms
- Recommended for the whole family, Sambucol Cold and Flu Relief can be used by ages 4+ & works best when taken at the first sign of cold or flu like symptoms The great tasting Sambucol Cold & Flu Relief tablets quickly dissolve in the mouth without water
- Sambucol Black Elderberry Cold & Flu Relief is suitable for vegetarians, non drowsy, and non habit forming It has no known drug interactions or side effects and provides temporary, quick relief from nasal & sinus congestion, coughing, chills, and fever
Dont Miss: Best Medicine For Sinus Cold And Cough
When Do Symptoms First Appear
The symptoms of a sinus infection often come on suddenly. COVID-19 symptoms can develop more gradually 2 to 14 days after exposure to SARS-CoV-2.
Viruses that cause a cold or flu tend to circulate in the fall and winter months. COVID-19 can occur any time of the year. While a sinus infection could develop following COVID-19, this hasnt yet been reported by research.
A sinus infection can also occur after exposure to allergens or irritants, such as pollen, pet dander, and cigarette smoke. If you have allergies or were recently around an irritant, you may be at risk for a sinus infection.
Also Check: Do Doctors Give Antibiotics For Sinus Infection
What Treatment Is Recommended For A Runny Nose Due To An Allergy
- Stay indoors when the pollen count is high, usually in the early morning and on windy days.
- Keep windows closed during allergy season, and use air conditioning whenever possible.
- Wear a dust mask if working outdoors. Change clothing and take a shower right away after coming indoors.
- Avoid contact with cats and dogs if you are sensitive to animal dander.
Also, there are many safe and effective over-the-counter medications available to help control allergy symptoms, such as nasal steroid sprays and oral antihistamines. If the symptoms are severe, your healthcare provider may recommend prescription medications, or refer you to an allergist for testing and targeted therapy.
Best Over The Counter Medicines For Sinus Infection 2020
If you are struggling with a stuffy or a runny nose, pain across your face, and extensive congestion, you might be dealing with a bad case of sinusitis. Dont worry, though a sinus infection isnt anything that could seriously threaten your health. It can, however, be very inconvenient and uncomfortable.
Fortunately, there are lots of treatments and medicines you can get over the counter to manage and relieve the symptoms of sinusitis. However, while these products are highly accessible, the sheer number of options can make it difficult to choose. So, which product is the best over the counter medicine for a sinus infection?
Let this buying guide help you land the right choice.
You May Like: Sinus Pain And Pressure Medicine
All Medicines Aren’t The Same
The role of cough medicine is to ease symptoms while your body heals.
As a glance at the drugstore shelves will show you, there are many, many brands of OTC cough medicines. But there are only three basic types:
Expectorants help thin mucus, making it easier to cough up. The ingredient guaifenesin is the only expectorant in the U.S., so look for it on the label if you need an expectorant.
Combination cough products have more than one active ingredient. They have both guaifenesin and dextromethorphan. Cough medicines may also contain ingredients to help coat and soothe the throat.
Combination products may have medicines to ease other symptoms, that may include for stuffy nose, antihistamines for allergies or a runny nose, or painkillers. Choose a medicine that matches your symptoms.
Cough drops can also help relieve a cough and may ease a sore throat.