Benefits Of Antihistamines For Allergies
Because antihistamines prevent the release of histamine, they dry up the excess fluids that lead to excessive tearing and a runny nose. Most antihistamines also include compounds that reduce the itching and irritation that can make your eyes feel as if they have sand in them. They inhibit the urge to sneeze and can also minimize irritation in the throat that leads to coughing.
Antihistamine medications should be taken once a day and will last for a full 24 hours. They have minimal side effects and can be purchased over the counter without a prescription. There are many different types of antihistamines on the market. The top four include:
- Zyrtec® Zyrtec , comes in both pill form and liquid capsule. Its used to treat upper respiratory allergies but is also effective for skin rashes and hives. It offers quick relief with few side effects or drug interactions.
- Claritin® Claritin is a popular allergy medication because it can be taken safely by both adults and children. It comes in pill form and is used to treat seasonal allergies, skin rashes, and hives. It offers few side effects and can be purchased over the counter or with a prescription.
Remember that generics work just as well as brand-names. Its important that you read labels carefully so you only by the products that address your particular symptoms. If you have questions, always speak to your doctor or a specialist before you buy a particular product.
Advice from the Sinus Surgeon himself :
Allergy Relief Comes With Variety
Sams Club features more than five OTC allergy medicine brands online and in-store. We carry sinus relief medications, nasal irrigators, humidifiers, nasal strips and more to help you breathe better despite allergy flare-ups. Choosing your preferred product of choice as well as meeting any allergy need from which you are suffering is made easy with diversity. Whatever your needs, you can be sure to stock up your medicine cabinet with the best OTC allergy medicine for everyone in your household.
Also Check: Why Does My Sinus Smell Bad
What Is The Best Sinus Relief
The best relief for sinus infections and headaches may require a combination of treatment tactics. Remedies often include medication for infection and pain. and allergy medications may help, too. Some people also use humidifiers and other methods for keeping the air they breathe moist.
For those who have a sinus infection, antibiotics are the usual course of treatment. To ensure they work well, patients should follow their doctors instructions for taking their medication and be sure to finish all of it. If a patient discontinues his antibiotics before hes supposed to, his symptoms may return. In fact, ending a course of antibiotics too early can cause bacteria to grow stronger and resistant to the prescribed antibiotic.
Many people use over-the-counter pain relievers in order to get relief from sinus headaches. Medications that fight pain and inflammation can provide effective sinus relief. For example, ibuprofen and aspirin can provide effective pain relief. Acetaminophen may help as well.
Antihistamines, medications that reduce allergy symptoms, and decongestants, medications that dry congesting mucus, can be helpful for treating sinus headaches and infections. They help a sinus patient breathe easier. Over-the-counter nasal sprays may work well, too. A doctor may suggest that a sinus patient limit his use of nasal sprays, however, as extended use can lead to addiction.
Read Also: Sinus Infection Vs Flu Vs Cold
You May Like: What Medicine Is For Sinus Infection
What Is The Prognosis For A Sinus Headache
Most people with sinus headache recover completely, although many people may develop sinus headache again in the future.
Complications of sinus headache are not common. Rarely, an untreated sinus infection can erode through the bones and involve adjacent structures, including the eye socket or brain, potentially causing pain and swelling of the eye or symptoms of meningitis or encephalitis. Infection that spreads to the blood vessels in the area of the sinuses can cause inflammation and blood clots. The cavernous sinus is a collection of veins located near the sphenoid sinus that can potentially become infected and form blood clots.
Types Of Otc Allergy Medications
OTC allergy medications use a variety of methods to fight symptoms. Three of the most common OTC allergy medication types are:
- Corticosteroids: This type of OTC allergy medication works by preventing swelling and inflammation. Its applied via nasal spray, treating nasal allergies. Corticosteroids are Dr. Passers preferred format of OTC allergy medicationwhile they mainly help with congestion and post nasal drainage, they can also help with itching and sneezing, she says. These work by soothing the sensitive tissue in your sinuses by coating them with the best anti-inflammatory medication, says Dr. Passer.Therefore, when you are exposed to allergens, those tissues remain calm, cool and collected and dont have the over-exaggerated response of swelling and producing lots of mucus. Indeed, one study confirms corticosteroids are superior to antihistamines when it comes to treating allergies. In the study, 88 patients with ragweed allergies received either a corticosteroid or an antihistamine. After four weeks, the steroid nasal spray group reported far fewer allergy symptoms than the antihistamine groupSteroids More Effective Than Antihistamines When Used As Needed For Allergies. University Of Chicago Medical Center. Accessed 05/13/2021. .
Recommended Reading: Who To See For Sinus Issues
Increased Side Effects In Certain People
- Risk factors: Age 65 or older | Liver or kidney problems
People 65 years or older and people with liver or kidney problems have a higher risk of experiencing side effects from taking antihistamine medications like Zyrtec . Watch out for changes in vision, severe dry mouth, trouble urinating, or constipation. Feelings of sleepiness may also leave you unsteady on your feet, which can lead to falls and injuries. Talk to a healthcare provider before using Zyrtec .
Read Also: Severe Sinus And Allergy Medication
Is Cold Medicine Over The Counter
The best over-the-counter cold medicines. There is no cure for the common cold, and medications work through different mechanisms to affect the symptoms or duration of a cold. Of the over-the-counter medications, the most commonly used are antihistamines and decongestants, often in combination.
Recommended Reading: Good Medicine For A Sinus Infection
What Is A Good Over
According to WebMD, a suggested over-the-counter medication for sinus drainage is the mucolytic guaifenesin, which is present in many cough suppressants. Other medications that include pain relievers, such as ibuprofen, decongestant nasal sprays or oral decongestants containing phenylephrine, may also be helpful.
According to WebMD, antihistamines are not always recommended for sinus drainage unless there are allergies that accompany the symptoms. These may dry out mucous membranes in the nose and sinuses, making mucous thicker and worsening drainage problems. Some health care practitioners recommend antihistamines, however, to reduce mucous that builds up in the sinus membranes, helping to alleviate sinusitis. Cough, cold and antihistamine medications should not be given to children unless instructed to by a physician.
Dont Miss: Wisdom Teeth Sinus Pain Relief
Best Otc Sinus Medicines
Since sinus problems have different causes, its important to accurately assess your symptoms before buying over-the-counter medications. If you have a cold or seasonal allergies, OTC medications will usually work well. However, if you experience sinus pain, tooth pain, fever, or if your sinus congestion lingers longer than ten days, see your doctor. Antibiotics may be prescribed for sinusitis caused by bacteria.
Antibiotics cannot be used to treat a sinus infection caused by a virus, however. Nevertheless, OTC medications, like decongestants, expectorants, analgesics and antihistamines, can relieve certain symptoms but the functions of each medication are different.
The importance of choosing the right decongestant cannot be overstated. The following information will help you understand these remedies and what will work best for you.
Here comes another best sinus medicine. Expectorants work best on sinus infections where congestion has settled in the chest or throat and causes coughing. Expectorants work to thin the mucus. The sinusitis sufferer then can eliminate the thinned mucus through coughing, leading to faster relief of congestion.
3. Pain Relievers
If pain and pressure caused by sinus infection are major complaints, anti-inflammatory pain-relievers like acetaminophen and ibuprofen may be your best option. An additional benefit: These medications may also reduce or eliminate fever.
Don’t Miss: Does Flonase Help Sinus Pressure
How Do I Know Which Otc Allergy Medicine Is Right For Me
When determining which type of OTC allergy medication is right for you, consider your worst allergy symptoms.
There is a lot of crossover among the different categories, but in the most simple terms, antihistamines are best for itchy, sneezy noses and help itchy eyes, says Dr. Passer. Nasal sprays are best for congestion and post nasal drainage, but help itch quite a bit, too, and decongestants help with congestion. OTC eye drops are best for eye symptoms.
I dont think there is any differentiation between the medication categories for pollen versus, say, indoor allergens like dust or dog dander, she adds. It really is all the same process in the bodyit just comes from different sources.
Can/should I Take A Sinus Decongestant For A Sinus Infection
You can take certain decongestants for a sinus infection. Decongestants that contain only pseudoephedrine or phenylephrine are more typically recommended for a sinus infection. Decongestants with additional ingredients like antihistamines may suppress your bodys immune response and interfere with your bodys ability to fight the infection. If you have a severe sinus infection, or if youre on antibiotics, consult with your doctor about the best OTC medication choice for you.
Don’t Miss: How Are Sinus Infections Spread
Mucinex Nightshift Sinus 6 Fl Oz Relieves Fever Sore Throat Runny Nose Sneezing
- Both formulas help relieve sinus pressure and sinus congestion, and nasal congestion due to the common cold, hay fever, or upper respiratory allergies.
- 20-count of sudafed pe sinus congestion day + night maximum strength decongestant tablets to temporarily relieve sinus pressure and sinus congestion for both day and night.
- From the #1 pharmacist recommended brand among oral otc decongestants, this maximum-strength formula can be used by adults and children 12 years and older for powerful relief.
- Each multi-pack contains 20 tablets of nasal decongestant, with 12 daytime and 8 nighttime tablets for powerful symptom relief throughout the day and while you sleep.
- Each daytime and nighttime dose contains 10 milligrams of the nasal decongestant phenylephrine hcl and each nighttime dose also contains 25 milligrams of the antihistamine diphenhydramine hcl.
Types Of Otc Nasal Sprays
OTC nasal sprays can be categorized by their active ingredients .
- Steroid. OTC steroid nasal sprays are mean to reduce inflammation. Thats why theyre recommended for treating allergies and chronic sinusitis. The steroid sprays may contain budesonide or fluticasone.
- Antihistamine. Antihistamine sprays are meant to blunt the impact of an allergen that your body is reacting to. These products are mostly recommended for allergies. Active antihistamine ingredients in nasal sprays are azelastine or olopatadine.
- Nasal decongestant. These types of sprays aim to shrink irritated blood vessels that line your nose, reducing inflammation to help you breathe more easily. Ingredients may include oxymetazoline hydrochloride or phenylephrine hydrochloride.
- Saline. Saline sprays dont contain active ingredients, but they can loosen mucus and help you to breathe more easily.
Read Also: What Is The Best Otc Sinus Allergy Medicine
Neilmed Sinus Rinse Starter Kit
For effective removal of accumulated mucus, NeilMed Sinus Rinse Starter Kit can be an ideal product. This formulation allows users to achieve a deep rinse, cleaning out most of the accumulation to free out the airways. Whats more, the rinse also incorporates safe ingredients, making it a safe solution for users as young as 2 years of age.
The rinse is highly effective, providing relief from congestion for up to 6 hours after use. The only concern that some users have with the product is that it can be a hassle to use, especially when you are out or away from home.
What Is The Most Common Medication Allergy
Penicillin is the most common drug allergy. If you have an allergic reaction after taking penicillin, you dont necessarily have a similar reaction to related medications such as amoxicillin. But it is more likely to happen. Allergies to epilepsy drugs, aspirin, ibuprofen, and chemotherapy drugs are also common.
You May Like: Ent Doctor For Sinus Problems
Vicks Vapoinhaler Portable Nasal Inhaler 2 Count
- Provides allergy medicine for sneezing, runny nose, itchy nose or throat, and itchy, watery eyes and cold symptoms like sneezing and runny nose.
- Works when you need it most with an allergy medicine in small, convenient antihistamine tablets that put your allergies to rest.
- 100-count pack of benadryl ultratabs antihistamine allergy relief tablets each containing 25 mg of the antihistamine diphenhydramine hcl for allergy relief that works when you need it most.
- Active ingredient, diphenhydramine hcl, provides relief for hay fever or other upper respiratory allergy symptoms and cold symptoms like sneezing and runny nose.
- Allergy medicine tablets for multi-symptom allergy relief intended to be used by adults and children ages six and up for relief of both indoor and outdoor allergies.
Frequently Asked Questions About Zyrtec
Is Zyrtec safe to take every day?
Zyrtec is safe to take every day if you have allergy symptoms on a daily basis. If you don’t have allergy symptoms every day, you can take it as needed on days when these symptoms bother you.
Can I take Zyrtec twice a day if the symptoms come back?
Zyrtec is typically taken once a day. It’s important that you don’t take more than the amount that’s recommended to lower the risk of serious side effects and overdose. Please refer to the dosing section for more information about the maximum doses for specific age groups.
When should I take Zyrtec ?
Zyrtec can be taken during the day or at night. If you feel sleepy after taking Zyrtec , taking it at night may be a better option for you.
Can I use Zyrtec for skin rash or hives ?
When Zyrtec was first available as a prescription-only medication, one of its labeled uses was to treat skin rash and hives. This use was not included when Zyrtec became available over-the-counter. Your healthcare provider may still recommend Zyrtec as a safe choice for skin rash and hives.
Can I take Zyrtec if I am pregnant or breastfeeding?
If you are pregnant or breastfeeding, talk to a healthcare provider before using Zyrtec to see if this medication is right for you. Zyrtec can be found in breast milk, and it’s important to weigh the risks and benefits with your healthcare provider.
Recommended Reading: Can You Get Rid Of A Sinus Infection Without Antibiotics
What People Are Saying About Flonase
” normally don’t use nasal sprays for my allergy relief, but I’m glad I used this. I feel like I can breathe easier. Cooking has become a big hobby again and I know it’s because of this spray. I have tried every tablet out there for my allergies.” Angie from Kansas
“I feel so much better since using this! My allergies have been so bad lately. But FLONASE has come to the rescue! Thanks FLONASE!” Steph from California
“My doctor recommended that I try FLONASE and I am so glad I did. Soon after, I was able to breathe better! I now use it every day as my allergies have gotten worse. I highly recommend giving it a try!” Falon from
If You Are Experiencing Sinus Pain
… you can get relief from products that combine a decongestant with a pain reliever. There are a number of versions available with either Acetaminophen or Ibuprofen. Some may also include the chest congestion reliever Guaifenesin. If you are taking any other cold or allergy medications, read your labels carefully. Many remedies combine several medications in a single pill. It can be easy to accidentally take too much of any one medication.Many people also find relief from sinus pain by taking either an over-the-counter painkiller or decongestant on its own. If you decide to take decongestants alone for sinus pain and pressure, taking them early is key. They are most effective if you take your medication at the first sign of sinus pressure.
Don’t Miss: What Is The Best Sinus And Allergy Medicine
Treats Asthma And Nasal Allergy Symptoms
Leukotriene modifiers can be prescribed along with other allergy medications to help reduce allergy symptoms. These drugs are primarily used to treat asthma and nasal allergy symptoms. They work by blocking the leukotrienes, a type of chemical produced by the body in response to allergens. Leukotriene modifiers can be taken as pills, chewable tablets, and oral powder.
Typical Dosing For Allegra
Adults and children 12 years of age and older:
- 12-hour tablet: The typical dose is one tablet with water twice a day. Dont take more than 2 tablets a day.
- 24-hour tablet: The typical dose is one tablet with water once a day. Dont take more than one tablet a day.
Children under 12 years of age:
- Oral suspension: For children aged 2 to 12, take 5 mL every 12 hours. Dont take more than 10 mL in 24 hours
- Dissolvable tablet: For children aged 6 to 12, take 1 tablet every 12 hours on an empty stomach. Dont take more than 2 tablets in 24 hours.
Recommended Reading: Young Living Oils For Sinus Pressure
Check Out This Chlorpheniramine Maleate Extended Release
Chlorpheniramine Over The Counter. Here are a number of highest rated Chlorpheniramine Over The Counter pictures upon internet. We identified it from obedient source. Its submitted by government in the best field. We put up with this nice of Chlorpheniramine Over The Counter graphic could possibly be the most trending subject considering we portion it in google benefit or facebook.