Ayr Saline Nasal Gel With Soothing Aloe
For buyers looking for something that doesnt have too much of a menthol scent, Ayr Saline Nasal Gel with Soothing Aloe is the best over the counter medicine for a sinus infection. This natural product incorporates a high concentration of aloe, which works well to soothe irritated nasal tissues to help relieve discomfort.
What many users love about Ayr Saline Nasal Gel with Soothing Aloe is that its long-lasting and easy to use. A single application around the nasal cavity and nostrils can provide lasting relief for up to 6 hours, making it the ideal solution for those who do not want to keep applying throughout the day. It is also ideal for use before bedtime, working well to keep the sinuses clear while you snooze.
What Are Common Side Effects Of Sinus Infection Medications
The most common side effects of sinus infection medications differ by the type of medication you use. Decongestants tend to cause nervousness, insomnia, and a loss of appetite. Side effects of antibiotics include nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea. Antihistamines and steroids can cause dizziness and sleep disturbances.
This is not an exhaustive list of sinus infection medication side effects. If you experience any adverse reactions from a medication or treatment, its always best to consult with your healthcare provider.
How To Know If You Have A Sinus Headache
You can usually tell if you have a sinus headache based on your symptoms. If you have a sinus infection and a headache that started at about the same time, there is a good chance that its a sinus headache. And if you are evaluated by a healthcare provider, they will likely come to the same conclusion, based on the quality and timing of your symptoms.
If the cause of your symptoms is less clear, some other diagnostic tests may help:
A CT scan: This is a 3-dimensional X-ray of the head or face. It will not only show a sinus infection but can check for other causes of your headache as well, if the initial diagnosis is unclear.
Nasal endoscopy: This is a procedure performed by a healthcare provider , who uses a small camera to look into the sinuses. This inspection can show signs of infection and can also look for any structural problems, like nasal polyps, which could be causing the sinus infection in the first place.
Taking Decongestants With Other Medicines
Ask a pharmacist or GP before taking decongestants if youâre taking other medicines.
For example, taking decongestants alongside some antidepressants can cause a dangerous rise in blood pressure.
Itâs also important to be careful when taking other medicines if youâre using an âall-in-1â decongestant remedy.
âAll-in-1â decongestants also contain painkillers or antihistamines, so it could be dangerous to take extra doses of these medicines at the same time.
Page last reviewed: 28 February 2019 Next review due: 28 February 2022
Sinus Infection Definition And Facts
- Sinusitis or sinus infection is inflammation of the air cavities within the passages of the nose.
- Sinusitis can be caused by infection, allergies, and chemical or particulate irritation of the sinuses.
- The fastest way to get rid of a sinus infection can include medications, home remedies, alternative therapies, and surgery.
- Most people do not spread sinus infections to other people.
- Sinusitis may be classified as acute sinus infection, subacute sinus infection, chronic sinus infection, infected sinusitis, and noninfectious sinusitis.
- Sinusitis signs and symptoms include
Recommended Reading: Can You Overcome A Sinus Infection Without Antibiotics
What Are Complications Of Sinus Infection Or Sinusitis
While serious complications do not occur frequently, it is possible for a sinus infection to cause a direct extension of infection into the brain through a sinus wall, creating a life-threatening emergency .
In addition, other adjacent structures can become infected and develop problems, such as osteomyelitis of bones in the skull and infection around the eye . Rarely, these infections may cause death. The most susceptible individuals to complications are patients with suppressed immune systems, diabetes, and relatively rarely from multiple trauma injuries that may occur in natural disasters.
Sinus Infection Treatment Options
There are many treatment options for a sinus infection, but the best treatment option varies by the severity of the case. Some acute sinus infections will clear up on their own without any treatment, and you may just think it was a cold. Others require more serious interventions by a healthcare provider.
The standard treatment healthcare providers prescribe for a presumed bacterial sinus infection is an antibiotic. However, if you have a sinus infection caused by a viral infection such as the common cold, your doctor will not prescribe antibiotics as these medications only treat bacterial infections. Instead, you can treat the sinus infection symptomatically until it resolves, with nasal decongestants and antihistamines.
There are plenty of ways to treat symptoms of a sinus infection at home with over-the-counter medications and home remedies. OTC antihistamines block the effects of histamine, helping symptoms like sneezing and runny nose. Simple treatments like drinking water, keeping your sinuses hydrated , and using warm compresses, can also help treat symptoms of a sinus infection.
Keeping your nasal passages clean can help you prevent future sinus infections. If you anticipate having sinus issues during allergy or cold season, flushing out your nasal passages with a saltwater solution can help you avoid the pains of a sinus infection.
Also Check: Otc Remedies For Sinus Infection
Boiron Throatcalm Tablets For Sore Throat Relief 60 Count
as of March 7, 2022 7:55 am
- Throatcalm is a medicine cabinet must-have for every teacher singer or coach. It is recommended for everyone ages 12 & up and is available in a box of 60 quick-dissolving tablets. The quick dissolving tablets ensure there is no additional pain to swallow.
- Throatcalm Sore Throat Tablets temporarily relieve minor red, dry, and sore throat and hoarseness. Throatcalm does not cause drowsiness and it has no known interactions with other medications. Throatcalm is not contraindicated with pre-existing conditions.
- Adults and children 12 years and older: At the onset of symptoms, dissolve 2 tablets under the tongue every 15 minutes for 1 hour. Then, dissolve 2 tablets under the tongue 3 times a day until symptoms are relieved. For children under 12: consult a doctor.
- Our mission is to stimulate the evolution of health care by promoting homeopathy as a compassionate, ecological and comprehensive approach to medicine. At Boiron, we believe theres more than one way to feel better. Our promise is your satisfaction.
- Active ingredients: arnica montana 3C HPUS, arum triphyllum 3C HPUS, Belladonna 3C HPUS, Bromium 3C HPUS, Bryonia 3C HPUS, Mercurius solubilis 4C HPUS, Phytolacca decandra 3C HPUS, Pulsatilla 3C HPUS, Spongia tosta 3C HPUS. Contains Lactose
Over The Counter Medications
For help alleviating sinus pressure and pain, try ibuprofen and a decongestant. Some medications include a combination of pain reliever and decongestant.
Mild antihistamines like Claritin and Allegra are helpful in moderation. Strong antihistamines like Benadryl are often way too drying. Be careful not to take antihistamines too often.
Even though you want your nose to stop running, too many antihistamines can make it more likely that youll get sinus infections in the future.
Drugs like Mucinex and Flonase can also be helpful in thinning the mucus in your nose and sinuses.
If you use Afrin, make sure you stop after three days. Though it can seem like a miracle drug, using it more than three days in a row can lead to something called rebound congestion. In other words, when you stop using the Afrin after continuous use, your nose becomes more congested than it was in the first place!
You May Like: Best Otc For Sinus Infection
What Is A Serious Sinus Infection Like
When sinus infections occur, theyre usually classified as either acute or subacute infections, meaning they go away in one to four weeks and are relatively minor.
The problem is chronic sinus infections, which often wont go away without intervention. If your sinus infection is persisting for longer than a month, and the symptoms are only getting worse, you may be suffering from chronic sinusitis. At that point, the infection is most likely bacterial, and your body will need the help of antibiotics to purge it.
Its very important to consult a healthcare professional before considering antibiotics, not only because youll require a prescription from a licensed doctor but because taking antibiotics more often than needed isnt good for your natural bacteria levels.
Sudafed Pe Sinus Pressure + Pain Relief Maximum Strength Non
- Each caplet contains 5 milligrams of the decongestant phenylephrine hcl and 325 milligrams of acetaminophen, a pain reliever and fever reducer.
- This sinus congestion & pain medicine also temporarily relieves nasal congestion associated with hay fever, upper respiratory allergies and the common cold.
- From the #1 pharmacist recommended brand among oral otc decongestants, this maximum strength formula can be used by adults and children 12 years and older for powerful symptom relief.
- The non-drowsy decongestant helps promotes sinus drainage, temporarily reduces fever and helps relieve headaches and minor aches and pain.
- 24-count box of sudafed pe sinus pressure + pain relief maximum strength non-drowsy decongestant tablets provide powerful relief of sinus pain, sinus pressure, nasal congestion and headaches.
Tylenol Sinus + Headache Non
- The non-drowsy formula of this sinus medicine provides effective daytime symptom relief by promoting sinus drainage and helping to decongest sinus openings and passages.
- From the #1 doctor-recommended pain relief brand, these sinus relief caplets are suitable for adults and children ages 12 years and older.
- Each caplet contains 325 mg of acetaminophen to temporarily relieve pain and reduce fever as well as 5 mg of phenylephrine hcl, a nasal decongestant to help clear nasal passages.
- Pain reliever and decongestant formulated to temporarily relieve symptoms of nasal congestion, sinus headache and pressure.
- 24-count box of tylenol sinus + headache daytime caplets for non-drowsy sinus symptom relief due to the common cold, hay fever or other respiratory allergies.
Porcelain Ceramic Pot Saffron By Goodhealthshop
Are you looking for anall-natural treatment for sinus congestion as well as sinus infection? If yes, then this Porcelain Ceramic Pot Saffron by Goodhealthshop is perfect for you.
This pot aids in treating sinusitis illnesses of the throat, eyes, and nose. The neti pots snout will comfortably and perfectly fit your nostrils. Apart from that, it also makes a seal so that the water passage will become more comfortable.
On the other hand, the smooth movement of water will flush your sinuses in an enjoyable and at the same time comfortable manner.
In addition to that, it naturally gets rids of excess dust, pollen, mucus, and other irritants from the sinus passageways.
Either way, this porcelain ceramic pot can hold 150ml of water or 5.07 US ounce.
There you have it the top 10 best treatments for sinus infection where you can choose from.
Don’t Miss: Can Sinus Infection Cause Permanent Hearing Loss
Natural Remedies For Sinus Congestion
When youre feeling stuffed up and miserable, getting to the drugstore seems almost impossible. Fortunately for you, there are a number of home remedies for sinus congestion relief, heres three:
1. Humidity:Keeping your nasal passages moist when youre experiencing sinus congestion may help to relieve that stuffy feeling. To do this, apply a warm, wet towel against your face or run hot water in the shower to unblock the sinuses. You could also use a humidifier for the same purpose.
2. Neti pot: A neti pot looks like a miniature teapot with a long spout. With the help of saline or a saltwater solution, these tiny nasal irrigation devices are used to treat congested sinuses, allergies, and the common cold. You can purchase a neti pot online or at your nearest health food or drugstore. Note of caution: Tap water isnt safe to use as its not filtered or treated and may contain material that could cause infection or irritation.
3. Aromatherapy: Aromatherapy is a holistic healing treatment that uses essential oils to reduce pain or improve sleep. While theres still research that needs to be done, some studies suggest specific essential oils may relieve symptoms of sinus congestion. According to the National Association for Holistic Aromatherapy , 1,8 cineole, the main component of eucalyptus oil, has been proven to clear airways of mucus and is a natural cough suppressant.
Sinus Infection Medications: Medicines That Help Treat Sinusitis
Sydney is a contributing health writer and editor who enjoys shedding light on health topics, making information available to anyone who wants it, and ending stigmas or lack of access to care and treatment.
Po-Chang Hsu, M.D.
Po-Chang Hsu, M.D.
Dr. Hsu received his medical degree from Tufts University in Boston, Massachusetts, and holds a Masters of Science degree from both Harvard University and Tufts University. Outside of the medical profession, Dr. Hsu loves to write, learn new languages, and travel.
Read Also: Will Z Pack Treat A Sinus Infection
Can You Take Sinus Decongestants With High Blood Pressure
Phenylephrine is not considered to be safe if you have high blood pressure. Sinus decongestants that contain pseudoephedrine may actually raise your blood pressure and counteract blood pressure medication that youre on. If you have high blood pressure, you should speak with your doctor about which decongestant they recommend for you.
When To Seek Medical Care
See a doctor if you have:
- Severe symptoms, such as severe headache or facial pain.
- Symptoms that get worse after initially improving.
- Symptoms lasting more than 10 days without improvement.
- Fever longer than 3-4 days.
You should also seek medical care if you have had multiple sinus infections in the past year.
This list is not all-inclusive. Please see a doctor for any symptom that is severe or concerning.
Other conditions can cause symptoms similar to a sinus infection, including:
- Seasonal allergies
You May Like: Best Medicine For Sinus Cold And Cough
What Is The Best Medication For A Sinus Infection
The best medication for sinus infection treatment is determined by your doctor and varies by case. Below, you can see a comparison of the most common sinus infection medications to learn what to expect.
|Best medications for sinus infections|
|Expectorant||Oral||1, 1200 mg tablet every 12 hours no more than 2 tablets in 24 hours do not chew or crush. Take with a full glass of water.||Headache, nausea, dizziness, drowsiness|
Dosage is determined by your doctor based on your medical condition, response to treatment, age, and weight. Other possible side effects exist. This is not a complete list.
How Do You Use The Neti Pot
There arent any official medical guidelines, but Neti pots usually come with an insert that explains how to use them. You might also want to ask your family doctor or an ear, nose, and throat specialist to talk you through the process so you can get comfortable with the Neti pot before trying it on your own.
Typically, to use the Neti pot or other nasal irrigation device, mix 3 teaspoons of iodide-free, preservative-free salt with 1 teaspoon of baking soda and store in a small clean container. Mix 1 teaspoon of this mixture in 8 ounces of distilled, sterile or previously boiled and cooled water.
If you experience burning or stinging, cut the amounts of dry ingredients to make a weaker solution. For children, use a half-teaspoon with 4 ounces of water.
Once youve filled the Neti pot, tilt your head over the sink at about a 45-degree angle. Place the spout into your top nostril, and gently pour the saline solution into that nostril.
The fluid will flow through your nasal cavity and out the other nostril. It may also run into your throat. If this occurs, just spit it out. Blow your nose to get rid of any remaining liquid, then refill the Neti pot and repeat the process on the other side. Its important to rinse the irrigation device after each use and leave open to air dry.
You May Like: Can I Get Flu Shot If I Have Sinus Infection
What Decongestants And Nasal Sprays Soothe Or Cure Sinus Infections Or Sinusitis
Taking decongestants and mucolytics orally may be helpful in assisting drainage of sinus infection.
The treatment of chronic forms of sinus infection requires longer courses of medications, such as Augmentin, and may require a sinus drainage procedure. This drainage typically requires a surgical operation to open the blocked sinus under general anesthesia. In general, antihistamines should be avoided unless it is felt that the sinusitis sinus infection is due to allergies, such as from pollens, dander, or other environmental causes.
It is likely that the use of a topical nasal steroid spray will help reduce swelling in the allergic individual without the drying that is caused by using antihistamines although both are occasionally used. Oral steroids may be prescribed to reduce acute inflammation and to help with chronic inflammation in cases with or without polyps and in allergic fungal sinusitis.
In many people, allergic sinusitis develops first, and later, bacterial infection occurs. For these individuals, early treatment of allergic sinusitis may prevent the development of secondary bacterial sinusitis.
In rare instances or in natural disasters, fungal infections may develop in debilitated people. Death rates of 50%-85% have been reported for patients with these sinus infections. Treatment relies on early diagnosis followed by immediate surgical debridement, antifungal drugs, , and stabilizing any underlying health problem such as diabetes.
Consider This When Buying Chest Congestion Medicine
Chest congestion medicine is not a one-formulation-suits-all type of product. Because every person is different, reactions to specific types of remedies can vary. That said, it is important to understand your bodys needs as well as your preferences to determine which option is truly the best medicine for chest congestion in your particular case.
These major considerations are important factors you should think of when making a purchase to help guide you towards the right product.
- Homeopathic Remedies. A common downside to pharmaceuticals is that they can cause a wide array of side-effects, including drowsiness, stomach irritation, headaches, and nausea, to name a few. It is because of these unwanted reactions that many people choose instead to use homeopathic remedies that are made from all-natural ingredients.
Of course, homeopathic remedies are much less likely to cause side-effects mainly because the ingredients are organic and 100% safe. The only issue that users have with homeopathic remedies is that they may or may not produce results. It all depends on how well your body takes to the formulation.
Be sure to try out a homeopathic remedy before setting it as your staple so you can be sure of its effectiveness on your system.
- Delivery Method. Chest congestion can be remedied through different methods, and that is why chest congestion medicine comes in many forms. The most common types of chest congestion remedies are:
Read Also: Best Thing To Take For Sinus Headache