Advil Sinus Congestion & Pain Reliever Coated Tablets
One of the main complications that come hand in hand with sinus congestion is the pain. The increase of pressure due to accumulated mucus can make it difficult to breathe and pave the way for throbbing headaches. Because of this common symptom combination, Advil Sinus Congestion and Pain Reliever has been dubbed the best medicine for sinus pressure because it targets both pain and congestion effectively.
The main ingredient this formulation uses for decongestion is phenylephrine HCl, which works to reduce mucus production to stop congestion from persisting. It also encourages the body to expectorate phlegm so that the airways can be cleared of congestion. Aside from this function, Advil Sinus Congestion and Pain Reliever also targets pain with ibuprofen. So while the product works to resolve the cause of sinus pressure, it also temporarily addresses any acute pain you might experience for fast and immediate relief.
Flonase Allergy Relief Spray
- Price: $$
- Applicable objects: Flonase is a non-drowsy formula containing fluticasone, which is designed to treat all symptoms of hay fever. Fluticasone is a corticosteroid therapy that can reduce sinus inflammation without the drowsiness side effects of antihistamines. Unlike some other nasal sprays, Flonase does not form a habit, so you can use it all year round. Not only can it treat sinus congestion, but it can also treat tearing and itching.
- Note: You only need to spray each nostril twice a day to give full play to the effects of Flonase. Some known side effects include nosebleeds and sore throat. If you overuse drugs, these side effects are more likely to occur.
Shop now on Amazon
You May Like: Does Advil Sinus Make You Drowsy
Make The Sinus Pain And Mind
“Techniques that take advantage of the mind-body connection, such as deep breathing practices and relaxation exercises, can be very effective for relieving sinus pain,” notes Das. These practices rely on the mind’s ability to influence pain perception and are especially helpful with chronic or recurrent pain that is often seen with sinus pressure. Some examples include biofeedback, meditation, yoga, and hypnotherapy.
Recommended Reading: Is Allegra D Good For Sinus Congestion
Sinus Headache Or Migraine
About 80% of “sinus headaches” are actually migraines with nasal symptoms. If you get frequent headaches, consult your healthcare provider or a headache specialist, since there are medications and prevention strategies specifically for migraines.
If you have intense sinus pain and pressure that gets worse when you are diving, flying in an airplane, driving up a steep mountain, or participating in other activities that involve steep altitude changes, it could be a condition called sinus barotrauma.
Although the pain will usually subside when these activities are discontinued, sinus barotrauma is a sign of an underlying sinus problem that needs to be evaluated by an otolaryngologist, a healthcare provider that specializes in conditions of the ear, nose, and throat.
What Are The Best Sinus Headache Treatments
If youre suffering from headaches, they could have several different causes, including congestion in your sinuses. You may feel pain and pressure in your face due to sinusitis , and the first step toward effective treatment is an accurate diagnosis.
In this blog, board-certified ear, nose, and throat specialist Dr. Cecil Yeung will explain more about these types of headaches as well as sinus headache treatment.
Also Check: Buy Advil Cold And Sinus
Avoid Sinus Pain Triggers
“One of the most important things to avoid is over-the-counter nasal decongestant sprays. They may give some fast relief, but after a few days they make sinus pressure and nasal congestion much worse,” warns Das. Some other things you can do to prevent sinus pain include avoiding alcohol, which can aggravate sinus pain and congestion cleaning your humidifier to avoid fungal allergies washing your bedding in hot water to decrease allergy exposure and avoiding swimming, diving, or flying when you have sinusitis, a common cold, or nasal allergy.
What Is The Best Allergy Medicine
The short answer is it depends. As described above, there are a few things to consider when selecting the right allergy medicine for you:
How quickly you need relief
Fast-acting medications, like decongestants and antihistamines, work quickly if youre experiencing symptoms. And while antihistamines can be taken daily, decongestants should only be used as needed short term.
Antihistamines and nasal steroids can be good options for preventing symptoms from happening if taken daily before allergy season hits. Experts currently recommend intranasal steroids as the first-choice treatment for people with persistent symptoms.
Lastly, keep in mind that not all antihistamines are created equal Benadryl can make you feel drowsy, whereas Allegra and Claritin may be less sedating. Since all antihistamines may cause some drowsiness, its best to see how you respond to them before engaging in activities that require alertness or concentration.
Also Check: Severe Sinus Pain And Pressure
How Long Do Sinus Headaches Last
Viruses cause most sinus infections. A viral sinus infection typically resolves on its own. Similar to how the common cold clears up by itself, your sinus headache should feel better within about a week. If it doesnt go away, see your healthcare provider. You may have a bacterial or fungal sinus infection that requires medication.
Nasal Saline Sprays: Non
Nasal saline is an invaluable addition to the list of over-the-counter medications. It is ideal for all types of nasal problems. The added moisture produced by the saline reduces thick secretions and assists in the removal of infectious agents. There is no risk of becoming addicted to nasal saline. It should be applied as a mist to the nose up to six times per day. Nasal saline can also be made at home: contact your otolaryngologist for details.
Recommended Reading: Ent Doctor For Sinus Problems
Also Check: What To Use For Sinus Infection
Best Over The Counter Medicines For Sinus Infection 2020
If you are struggling with a stuffy or a runny nose, pain across your face, and extensive congestion, you might be dealing with a bad case of sinusitis. Dont worry, though a sinus infection isnt anything that could seriously threaten your health. It can, however, be very inconvenient and uncomfortable.
Fortunately, there are lots of treatments and medicines you can get over the counter to manage and relieve the symptoms of sinusitis. However, while these products are highly accessible, the sheer number of options can make it difficult to choose. So, which product is the best over the counter medicine for a sinus infection?
Let this buying guide help you land the right choice.
How Are Sinus Headaches Treated
Sinus headaches treatment is usually directed toward sinus headache pain reliefand treating the infection. Treatment might include antibiotics for the infection, as well as a short period of pain and fever reliever , decongestants , or antihistamines to treat the sinus headache symptoms and provide sinus headache relief.
Analgesics can relieve headache pain while the nasal decongestants relieve sinus congestion and pressure, help clear nasal passages, and shrink swollen membranes.
If the sinus headache pain continues after using pain-relievers, corticosteroids may be prescribed to further decrease the inflammation. When an allergen is causing the sinus flare-ups, preventive allergy therapy is often needed. If you have questions or concerns about your sinus headache pain and how to treat sinus headaches, consult your doctor. Medication should be used as directed.
Read Also: Sinus Infection In Head Symptoms
Aromatic Salt Premium Ceramic Neti Pot
Richard Nass, MD, a Manhattan-based ear, nose, and throat doctor and clinical associate professor at the NYU School of Medicine, says he likes to use a neti pot, like this one, to irrigate the sinuses. This ceramic version allows you to rinse your nose with sterilized water and saltor a saline solutionfor relief from stuffiness.
If you opt for a neti pot, just make sure youâre using distilled, sterile, or previously boiled water, says the FDAthat means no tap water allowed. And always clean it well between each use .
Can A Sinus Headache Be Prevented
- Good handwashing and hygienic practices can help prevent colds and upper respiratory infections.
- Smoking cessation can also decrease your risk of airway infections.
- For people with allergies, avoid allergic triggers to help prevent sinus infections.
- Keep the body well hydrated and humidify the air since these can help promote efficient drainage of fluids from the sinuses.
Also Check: Is Mucinex Good For Sinus Infection
What Kind Of Doctor Or Other Healthcare Professional Treats Sinus Headache
- Frequently, sinus headaches are managed by primary care physicians including those that specialize in internal medicine, family medicine, or pediatrics.
- For complicated cases, an ear, nose, and throat specialist may be consulted.
- With unusual infections, such as fungal infections, a specialist in infectious diseases may be consulted.
What Prescription Medications Treat A Sinus Headache Pain And Pressure
Headaches from allergies can be relieved with a prescription for nasal steroids sprays unless there is a contraindication. This may be helpful along with nasal saline rinses to decrease inflammation within the nasal passages and treat or prevent sinusitis.
If a bacterial infection is suspected, the health-care professional may prescribe antibiotics to treat the infection and at the same time make suggestions to treat the underlying inflammation. To establish the diagnosis of acute bacterial rhinosinusitis and the need for antibiotics, your doctor should confirm that symptoms of acute rhinosinusitis have been present for 10 days or are worsening. Symptoms should include pus-like nasal drainage, nasal obstruction, facial pain, or pressure. If the inflammation does not resolve before the antibiotic course is complete, the bacterial infection may recur.
You May Like: Can A Bad Tooth Cause Sinus Problems
Treatment For Colds And Sinus Infections
All colds and most sinus infections are caused by viruses, and clear up on their own without treatment. Know that antibiotics do not work against viruses. Cold and sinus infection treatment involves relieving symptoms. Home remedies and over-the-counter medications can help you feel better, but they do not shorten the length of the illness. Getting plenty of rest, drinking enough water, applying a warm compress to your sinus area and using a humidifier can make you more comfortable.
Over-the-counter medications can also help alleviate cold and sinus symptoms. Read labels closely when choosing a medication. Note that combination medicines contain more than one active ingredient. For example, Alka Seltzer Plus contains several active ingredients, including acetaminophen . In this case, youd have to be careful to not also take a separate dose of acetaminophen. You also should not take medications for symptoms you dont have. Your pharmacist can help you find an OTC product to treat your specific symptoms:
There are no prescription medications for colds, but there are prescription medications for symptom management. One of these is ipratropium bromide , which is available as a nasal spray or as an inhaler. This nasal spray can ease a runny nose, postnasal drip and a sore throat, and the inhaler relaxes airways and prevents secretion of mucus in the nose.
What Is The Best Medication For A Sinus Infection
The best medication for sinus infection treatment is determined by your doctor and varies by case. Below, you can see a comparison of the most common sinus infection medications to learn what to expect.
|Best medications for sinus infections|
|Expectorant||Oral||1, 1200 mg tablet every 12 hours no more than 2 tablets in 24 hours do not chew or crush. Take with a full glass of water.||Headache, nausea, dizziness, drowsiness|
Dosage is determined by your doctor based on your medical condition, response to treatment, age, and weight. Other possible side effects exist. This is not a complete list.
Don’t Miss: Good Nasal Spray For Sinus Infection
Take As Directed And Heed To Warning Labels
Regardless of the OTC pain reliever you choose to take, its important you only take the instructed dosage. Too much medicine can lead to medication overuse or rebound headaches.
Find Pressure Headache Relief Through Shopping Online at SpotRx
Tempe, AZ residents suffering from a pressure headache can find relief quickly at SpotRx. We offer free two-hour delivery in zip codes 85281 and 85282 and lower prices on your OTC medications. To learn more, please visit our website today!
SpotRx blogs are for informational purposes only. They are not written by medical professionals and should not be used to treat or diagnose any new or existing conditions. Contact your physician or qualified medical health provider with any concerns you may have regarding a medical condition.
Sinus Relief By Hylands Defend
- RELIEF OF SINUS SYMPTOMS: Temporarily relieves the symptoms of sinus pain and pressure, headache, and nasal congestion due to common cold or allergies.
- EASY TO TAKE HOMEOPATHIC MEDICINE: Quick-dissolving tablets that melt in your mouth almost instantly
- 40 TABLETS = UP TO 20 DOSES: of Hylands DEFEND Sinus
- NATURAL SINUS SYMPTOM RELIEF MEDICINE
- SAFE AND NON-HABIT FORMING: Our gentle homeopathic formulas are made with all natural active ingredients.
- HIGHEST STANDARD OF QUALITY: All of Hylands products follow the manufacturing and quality practices outlined in the Homeopathic Pharmacopoeia of the United States and are regulated by the Food and Drug Administration.
- OVER 100 YEARS OF NATURAL RELIEF: Family-owned Hylands has been making premier homeopathic products since 1903.
You May Like: Sinus Infection Vs Flu Vs Cold
Allegra Adult 24 Hour Allergy Relief 70
- Target sinus pain comparable to sudafed pe congestion our nasal decongestant can relieve pressure on front, maxillary, ethmoid or sphenoid regions in the head..
- Breathe easier, feel better releasing sinus pressure and sinus congestion can help relieve headaches, migraines, tension and stress so you can refocus with clarity..
- Powerful sinus pressure relief this non-drowsy decongestant can help relieve painful pressure and nasal congestion to help you breathe and think more clearly..
- Maximum strength support packed with 10 mg of phenylephrine hcl, our nasal decongestant tablets help relieve pressure caused by colds, allergies, or hay fever..
- Fast-acting support every bottle contains 24 tablets that work quickly to reduce nasal swelling and inflammation for up to 4 hours offering day or night protection..
Others Ways Of Avoiding And Minimizing Sinus Problems
Except those best sinus medicines mentioned above, there are many other effective home remedies that help you alleviate sinus discomforts.
Recommended Reading: I Keep Getting Sinus Infections
Rite Aid Sinus & Allergy Relief Pe Tablets
- 4 HOUR RELIEF: Rite Aids Sinus & Allergy Relief PE tablets offer temporary relief for up to 4 hours from sinus pressure & congestion, sneezing, itchy, watery eyes, and runny nose.
- MULTI-SYMPTOM RELIEF: Get the same active ingredients as the national brand, Rite Aid Maximum Strength Sinus & Allergy Relief PE contains Chlorpheniramine Maleate 4mg & Phenylephrine HCI 10mg compared to top brands.
- ANTIHISTAMINE + NASAL DECONGESTANT: With Rite Aid allergy and congestion relief tablets, temporarily calm symptoms from allergies, the common cold, and hay fever for adults and children 12 years of age and older.
- CONTROL INDOOR & OUTDOOR ALLERGIES: Allergies dont stand a chance against Rite Aids allergy and cold medicine for adults.
- TRUSTED BRAND SINCE 1962: We hope you continue to choose us first for your everyday health and wellness needs.
When To See A Doctor
If you have an excruciating headache, have nausea and vomiting occurring with your headache, or lose consciousness or vision, call your healthcare provider or go to the emergency room right away. These can be signs of a more serious health condition.
If you are experiencing headaches with frequency or have one that wonât resolve, consult your healthcare provider. If you have questions or concerns about medications or other treatments, discuss them during your appointment. Your healthcare provider can offer additional information and instructions on how to treat your headaches safely.
Is There A Difference Between Sinus Headache Medicines And Phrases
Consider your intentions when choosing a sinus headache medicine type. The small size of sinus headache medicines makes them versatile. You can carry small items in your pocket. I was unable to fit it into my pocket because it is larger than my pocket.
Wide margins make it easy to roll down a page. Search engine optimization cannot profit from the use of low-quality sinus headache medicines.
What Is A Sinus Headache
- A sinus headache is the result of inflammation and a build-up of pressure within the sinuses of the skull.
- The sinuses are cavities or pockets located within the bones of the skull.
- In addition to contributing to the strength and stability of the skull, the sinuses help to humidify and filter the air.
Also Check: How To Relieve Toothache From Sinus Infection