How To Cure A Postnasal Drip Cough
Coughing associated with postnasal drip can be caused by different things, like allergies or a cold. If allergies are causing postnasal drip cough, then over-the-counter medications containing antihistamines can help. If postnasal drip cough is caused by a cold, OTC cough medications can help with mucus production and coughing. Many home remedies have proven effective for helping treat coughing as well. Gargling with salt water, using a humidifier, and trying nasal irrigation are just some of the ways people alleviate their symptoms. Its important to seek medical advice if you arent sure whats causing your postnasal drip cough to make sure you get the right treatment.
Used Cars Under 5000 Statesboro Ga
Written by Serena Styles. 18 July, 2011. Cayenne pepper may soothe a sore throat, providing pain relief for a temporary period. There is no proven science to define why cayenne pepper relieves a sore throat. However, in theory, the oils within cayenne pepper block substance P, which is a peptide that transmits pain signals to your brain. 9. Pop a pain reliever. Ibuprofen can help put a stop to the coughing and throat-clearing that prevents your sore throat from healing, Dr. Finkelston says. Just be sure to take your ibuprofen with food, and follow the dosing instructions on the label. 10.
Dr. Paul Grin answered. Pain Management 37 years experience. Seasonal flu: It is very common viral infection. Usually the condition resolves on its own with home care. Drink water and get a good rest. If there is no improveme… Read More. 4.6k views Answered > 2 years ago. Thank.
Influenza Symptoms. Sore throat, headache, runny nose, cough. Fever and chills lasting multiple days. Body aches and severe fatigue. The flu is a contagious respiratory illness that comes on suddenly, unlike a cold. For young children and older adults, the flu can be dangerous, even life threatening.
Cinnamon Almond Milk. Cinnamon almond milk is a soothing drink that you can make at home. The main ingredients are simply what the name suggests cinnamon and almond milk. You can simmer these together in a saucepan and then pour the mixture into a cup. Stirring in some sweetener can make the drink taste nicer.
Is It A Cold Or The Flu
The best way to tell the difference between a cold and the flu is to take account of the typical symptoms.
- A cold is milder than the flu. Its symptoms come on gradually and typically you only run a low-grade to no fever. It generally starts off with a sore throat that goes away after a day or two, a cold ends with the main symptoms of a runny nose and cough.
- Influenza, commonly called the flu, is more severe and the onset is more sudden than a cold. Symptoms include a high fever , headache, chills, a sore throat that typically worsens by the second or third day, intense muscle soreness, and a general feeling of weakness and fatigue. These symptoms, along with sneezing and a cough, can last a couple of weeks or longer.
How Do I Fight Off An Impending Sore Throat
Its not always possible to fight off an impending sore throat. However, there are some things that you can do if you feel a sore throat coming on.
Try resting up and limiting your exposure to things that may further irritate your throat. Also try reducing your stress levels, as high stress can negatively affect your immune system.
Sipping on warm liquids and staying hydrated by drinking plenty of water can help too. Using a humidifier can add moisture to dry air.
Do Essential Oils Work For Postnasal Drip
Essential oils are concentrated liquids that have been extracted from plants. Theyre commonly used as natural remedies for various ailments. Some oils, like eucalyptus and peppermint, may offer relief from postnasal drip.
According to a 2020 review, eucalyptus oil contains a compound called 1,8-cineole. This compound can reduce mucus by controlling genes involved in mucus production. It also has anti-inflammatory properties, which may soothe irritation.
Peppermint oil contains menthol, which can improve the sensation of congestion and mucus buildup. It doesnt actually treat excess mucus, though. A 2013 study found that inhaled menthol doesnt have true decongesting properties. However, its cooling effect can help your nasal passages feel more open.
The best way to use essential oils for postnasal drip is through inhalation. This is a form of aromatherapy.
Don’t Miss: Advil Cold And Sinus Relief
Fever Aches And Sore Throat
These symptoms are usually mild with a cold compared to a more serious illness, like the flu. Still, if you feel bad and canât rest, most experts agree itâs OK to take something to ease pain and lower a fever, like acetaminophen or ibuprofen.
Fever may be a good thing. It helps the body fight off infection by suppressing the growth of bacteria and viruses and activating the immune system. Doctors no longer recommend fighting fever for most people, except perhaps for the very young, the very old, and those with certain medical conditions such as heart disease or lung disease. But if youâre uncomfortable, its fine to take these medications.
Young people , however, should avoid aspirin. Acetaminophen and ibuprofen are best. Each type of medicine has risks, so check with your doctor or pharmacist as to which type of pain reliever or fever reducer is best for you.
Drinking lots of fluids and using salt water gargles can often ease the pain of a sore throat. Some oral medications and medicated lozenges and gargles can also temporarily soothe a sore throat. Check with your doctor before using any medications, including over-the-counter drugs, and dont use lozenges or gargles for more than a few days. The drugs could mask signs of strep throat, a bacterial infection that should be treated with antibiotics.
What Is The Best Cold Medicine To Use
The best cold medicine to use will vary depending on the symptoms someone has. For example, someone who has a cold and cough may need to take a cough suppressant, whereas someone with a cold and stuffy nose might need to take a decongestant. Taking a decongestant when you dont have a stuffy nose probably isnt going to help you if youre searching for relief from a sore throat.
Finding the best cold medicine depends on which cold symptoms you want the most relief fromfind a medication that treats those symptoms. Some treatments even provide multi-symptom relief and would say so on the label.
If youre still unsure about which cold medicine to choose, you can always ask your healthcare provider, including your pharmacist, for advice. Its also a good idea to ask your doctor or pharmacist if taking cold medicine will interfere with your prescription medications, as drug-drug interactions can cause unwanted side effects.
Dont Miss: Best Medicine For Sinus Mucus
Don’t Miss: Will Advil Cold And Sinus Keep You Awake
What About Prescription Treatments
If these approaches aren’t effective, prescription treatments may be the next best steps, including:
- A nasal steroid spray
- Ipratropium nasal spray which inhibits secretions
Other treatments depend on the cause of the post-nasal drip. Antibiotics are not usually helpful, so they aren’t usually prescribed for post-nasal drip . For allergies, dusting and vacuuming often, covering your mattresses and pillowcases, and special air filter can help reduce exposure to allergy triggers.
Does The Neti Pot Really Work
Some ear, nose, and throat surgeons recommend nasal irrigation with a Neti pot or other method for their patients whove undergone sinus surgery, to clear away crusting in the nasal passages. Many people with sinus symptoms from allergies and environmental irritants also have begun to regularly use the Neti pot or other nasal irrigation devices, claiming that these devices alleviate congestion, and facial pain and pressure. Research backs up these claims, finding that nasal irrigation can be an effective way to relieve sinus symptoms when used along with standard sinus treatments. For some people, nasal irrigation may bring relief of sinus symptoms without the use of medications.
The basic explanation of how the Neti pot works is that it thins mucus and helps flush it out of the nasal passages.
A more biological explanation for how the Neti pot works has to do with tiny, hair-like structures called cilia that line the inside of the nasal and sinus cavities. These cilia wave back and forth to push mucus either to the back of the throat where it can be swallowed, or to the nose to be blown out. Saline solution can help increase the speed and improve coordination of the cilia so that they may more effectively remove the allergens and other irritants that cause sinus problems.
Read Also: Natural Medicine For Sinus Infection
What Else We Recommend
- Ricola Original Herb : While Ricola products do the trick, the herbaceous taste and fragrance can be off-putting. These are worth a try if you dont mind an earthy, medicinal taste .
- Halls Cough Drops : Halls products use cooling menthol to soothe your throat and nasal passages. These are widely available products and very affordable.
What Sinus Issues Cause Sore Throat Symptoms
Sinus infections frequently cause swelling and limit proper airflow through the sinus and nasal air passages. This blockage then causes drainage, congestion and further irritation. When an infection in the sinuses continues or returns for many weeks, it can develop into chronic sinusitis. Sinusitis can be very difficult to diagnose as an underlying cause, but an experienced ENT doctor will be able to address this problem to relieve a sore throat.
Certain bacterial infections are known for having a particular effect on the throat, causing pain and other sore throat symptoms. Some of the most common bacterial infections that can cause sore throat include strep throat, tonsillitis, whooping cough and diphtheria. These infections will need to be diagnosed and treated by a doctor in order to heal and relieve your symptoms.
Nasal issues that irritate the nose and cause extra mucus production or drainage can be at fault for your sore throat. Problems like enlarged turbinates, nasal polyps, and even a deviated septum can cause inflammation, irritation, and ultimately result in the congestion or post-nasal drip that can cause a sore throat.
You May Like: When Do I Need Antibiotics For A Sinus Infection
You May Like: Advil Allergy And Sinus Ingredients
Lozenges Or Cough Drops
Suck on lozenges or cough drops to keep the throat moist. Some brands have topical anesthetics, which will ease throat pain at least temporarily and last longer than sprays.
- Lozenges with menthol also can feel refreshing and ease sore throat symptoms.
- Young children and toddlers should not be given lozenges as they can be a choking hazard.
Dont Miss: Severe Sinus And Cold Relief
What Are The Symptoms Of Post
Symptoms of post-nasal drip can include:
- Feeling of mucus drainage into the throat
- Frequent swallowing
- Sore irritated throat
- Feeling a lump in the throat
In children, thick or foul-smelling secretions from one side of the nose can mean that something is stuck in the nose such as a bean, wadded paper, or piece of a toy. If these symptoms are observed, seek a physician for examination.
Post-nasal drip often leads to a sore, irritated throat. Although there is usually no infection, the tonsils and other tissues in the throat may swell. This can cause discomfort or a feeling that there is a lump in the throat. Successful treatment of the post-nasal drip will usually clear up these throat symptoms.
Causes of post-nasal drip can include:
- Bacterial infections
- Vasomotor rhinitis
- Medications that thicken mucus
- Gastroesophageal reflux
Thin clear secretions can be due to colds and flu, allergies, cold temperatures, bright lights, certain foods or spices, pregnancy, and other hormonal changes. Various drugs and irregular nose cartilage can also produce increased mucus.
Thick secretions in winter often result from dryness in heated spaces. They can also come from sinus or nose infections and allergies, especially to foods such as dairy products. If thin secretions become thick, and turn green or yellow, it is possible that a bacterial sinus infection is developing.
You May Like: Does Flonase Help Sinus Pressure
Upper Airway Cough Syndrome
Upper airway cough syndrome is treated with first-generation antihistamines and medicines taken as tablets. A response to treatment helps confirm the diagnosis. Decongestants should only be used for a short time.
Talk to your doctor if you are constantly clearing your throat or have an irritating cough. Finding out the cause of your symptoms and treating the cause should make you feel a lot more comfortable.
1. Cough . In: eTG complete. Melbourne: Therapeutic Guidelines Limited Mar 2018. https://tgldcdp.tg.org.au .2. Rhinitis and rhinosinusitis . In: eTG complete. Melbourne: Therapeutic Guidelines Limited Mar 2018. https://tgldcdp.tg.org.au .3. Mayo Clinic. Chronic cough . https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/chronic-cough/symptoms-causes/syc-20351575 .4. Morcom S, Phillips N, Pastuszek A, Timperley D. Sinusitis. Australian Family Physician 2016 45:374-7. https://www.racgp.org.au/afp/2016/june/sinusitis/ .5. Mayo Clinic. Nonallergic rhinitis . https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/nonallergic-rhinitis/symptoms-causes/syc-20351229 .6. BMJ Best Practice. Upper airway cough syndrome . https://bestpractice.bmj.com/topics/en-us/1209 .https://www.mayoclinic.org/symptoms/nasal-congestion/basics/definition/sym-20050644
Warm Liquids And Certain Foods
Warm liquids such as tea and coffee can greatly help soothe a sore throat. But its important to remember to limit your caffeine intake and to stay hydrated. If you are going to drink warm liquids, non-caffeinated tea with honey is a great option. Eating certain foods, including spicy foods, can also help break up your congestion, which may temporarily help reduce post-nasal drip.
Recommended Reading: Neti Pot Help Sinus Infection
Which Medications Open The Sinuses Will Antibiotics Cure Sinus Infections
Medications that Cure Sinus Infections
The goal in treating sinus infections is to eliminate bacteria from the sinus cavities with antibiotics. This helps prevent complications, relieve symptoms, and reduce the risk of chronic sinusitis.
- In acute, uncomplicated sinus infections, a synthetic penicillin, for example, amoxicillin , which is prescribed to most people to cure acute sinus infections. Amoxicilin is effective against the ususal causes of sinus infections, and is inexpensive. The most common side effects of amoxicillin include allergic reactions and an upset stomach.
- People allergic to penicillin can take a sulfur-containing antibiotic called trimethoprim/sulfamethoxazole or TMP/SMX . Sulfa drugs are not recommended for people who are allergic to sulfur.
- People who have several episodes, or partially treated acute sinusitis or those who have chronic sinusitis may become resistant to amoxicillin and TMP/SMX. Synthetic penicillins and cephalosporins such as amoxicillin/clavulanate , cefuroxime , and loracarbef can cure most sinus infections.
- Eventually, overuse of these broad-spectrum antibiotics may lead to organisms evolving that can resist even the most potent antibiotics available. Simpler antibiotics, for example, amoxicillin, should be used first and taken for the entire duration .
Medications to Keep the Sinuses Open
OTC Steroid Nasal Sprays
You May Like: What Is Best To Take For Sinus Infection
Home Remedies For Sinus Drainage Sore Throat
- Take lots of fluids, including hot tea with honey, soup, and water. You should however stay away from sugary and sweetened fluids.
- Use a humidifier in your bedroom to increase humidity levels.
- Gargle warm, salty water at least 3 times every day until the symptoms have receded. A ratio of ½ teaspoon salt: 1 cup warm water is generally recommended.
- Avoid exposure to potentially offensive allergens and irritants such as pollen, molds, animal dander, chemicals, and smoke among others. This is especially important for sinus drainage and thus sore throat that is attributed to exposure to allergens
- Lean over a basin of hot water while draping yourself with a towel and inhale the steam coming up. Alternatively, take a hot shower and breathe in the warm, moist vapor. This not only helps to drain mucus from your sinuses and throat, but also relieve you of pain.
- Apply a warm compress on your face, paying close attention to the nose, cheeks and eyes. This helps to decongest the sinuses and alleviate symptoms of sinus drainage.
- Sleep with your head propped up against extra pillows or with small blocks of woods stashed below the front legs of your head to enhance sinus drainage and prevent buildup of mucus at the back of throat under gravity while you sleep.
Recommended Reading: Can You Fight A Sinus Infection Without Antibiotics
What Medicines Works Best To Relieve Which Cold Symptoms
Your bodys natural reaction is to fight off a virus through cold symptoms.
For example, a fever kills the cold virus, and a runny nose and cough help expel germs from your body.
So often, using simple home remedies and spending time in bed is the best way to treat a cold.
That said, if you need extra help to get through the day, there are many options that may relieve your cold symptoms.
Keep in mind, the common cold is not curable, and these medicines only offer symptomatic relief.
What Causes Lpr
Eating habits, diet, and obesity all contribute to the development of GERD. Eating large meals and lying down after eating may induce reflux symptoms. Many foods are acidic or contain irritating substances that increase the stomachs production of acid. Obesity and pregnancy also contribute to LPR/GERD symptoms because the additional weight places increased pressure on the sphincter muscles in attempt to keep food in the stomach. Tight fitting clothing may place pressure inside the abdominal cavity much like excessive body weight does and therefore may cause reflux symptoms.
Also Check: Can Polyps Cause Sinus Infection
Is There A Non
Second- and third-generation antihistamines, like Claritin and Allegra, are advertised as non-drowsy antihistamines. Studies have found that while second- and third-generation antihistamines can have some sedation effects on individuals, it is to a lesser extent than the first-generation antihistamines.
Recommended Reading: Best Medicine For Sinus Cold And Cough