Stay Away From Pollen
Pollen allergies like hay fever causes nasal congestion. To get relief we suggest you minimize your contact time with the allergens. A good way to do this is to take your shoes off before you enter your home. Change your clothes and brush your hair or shower. Wash your face. Pollen can trigger allergies around your eyes and its good to clean that out. Regularly wash your sheets and pillow cases. Another tip is to keep your windows closed. You want to keep the pollen out.
Who Can Use Sinus Rinses
With proper use, sinus rinses are safe for most people. Saline solution is not a medication and does not pose any risk of drug interactions.
The product is also safe for use in children, but a child should be old enough to understand what will happen when they use it and perform the rinse themselves.
That said, you should not use a nasal rinse if:
- Your nasal passages are completely blocked.
- You have an ear infection.
- Your ears are completely blocked with mucus.
- You are unable to position yourself to allow the solution to run out of your nostrils.
How To Clear Sinus Congestion Naturally
Maybe youre suffering from sinus congestion right now and you have no idea what should really be done to clear it up! Here are some steps you can follow that are suggested by the doctors:
- Drink enough liquid- It will dilute the secretions of mucus in your nasal passages and promote drainage and ease you get relief from sinus pressure.
- Take a hot shower- It will reduce inflammation if you have, widen your stiff blood vessels around the sinus
- Use a saline sprayer- The saltwater from the spray will keep the nasal passage from drying out.
- Use a wet and warm towel- The warmth will help your sinus to widen up and drain the mucus.
- Use a Humidifier or Vaporizer- Get a humidifier device and use it to vaporize water into moisture and breath inside the moisture. It will soothe the swollen blood vessels in your sinuses.
- Use nose cleaning devices- If you need to have a quick-relief from sinus congestion.
Donât Miss: Can You Take Advil Cold And Sinus With Dayquil
Read Also: How To Get Rid Of A Sinus Infection Headache
What To Do For Sinus Pressure And Pain At Home
Here are the top 10 at-hometreatments to help ease your sinus pain and inflammation to get rid of your sinus infection faster.
How Do I Get Rid Of A Sinus Headache
To get rid of a sinus headache, you have to treat the underlying cause. But you can take steps to ease sinus pressure and pain at home:
- Apply a warm compress to painful areas of the face.
- Use a decongestant to reduce sinus swelling and allow mucus to drain.
- Try a saline nasal spray or drops to thin mucus.
- Use a vaporizer or inhale steam from a pan of boiled water. Warm, moist air may help relieve sinus congestion.
Viruses, bacteria and sometimes fungi cause sinus infections. Viral infections often go away on their own. But if your infection is bacterial or fungal, you need antibiotics or antifungal medications. Your healthcare provider may also recommend other medications to ease discomfort, such as:
- Antihistamines to prevent allergy symptoms.
- Pain relievers to ease headache pain.
- Steroids to reduce inflammation.
Migraines with sinus symptoms
Sinus headaches that are actually migraines need a different type of treatment. The first step is to relieve your pain. You should know that frequently using over-the-counter medications when you have a headache can cause even more headaches .
Your provider may recommend prescription medication for migraine pain. You may also need a preventive medication that helps you have fewer migraine attacks.
Don’t Miss: Get Rid Of Sinus Pressure Headache
Can Apple Cider Vinegar Clear A Congested Nose
Apple cider vinegar is another remedy for nasal congestion that has gained a lot of popularity among general users but not enough scientific support. Thus, you must invariably consult your doctor before trying it to avoid any undue side effects.
Due to its alkaline nature, ACV may help dissolve the mucus accumulated inside your airways to relieve nasal congestion and restore normal breathing. Moreover, it is credited with significant antimicrobial properties that can help sanitize the insides of your nose.
But all these are suggested benefits with no credible proof.
On the contrary, ACV is scientifically recognized as a mild acid, which is not safe for direct application.
Many people soak Q-tips or paper towels in ACV to clean their nose with it. This can damage the sensitive skin of your nasal passages and is strictly ill-advised. Similarly, nasal irrigation with ACV is a complete no-no.
The least dangerous ACV remedy is adding a few drops of this potent liquid in your steam bath. However, there are far simpler and safer remedies to clear your nasal congestion than using apple cider vinegar.
Tips For Choosing A Humidifier
There are many factors to consider when buying a humidifier. Although price is an important consideration, here are some other factors to keep in mind when trying to choose the right humidifier for your sinusitis.
- Buy the right size. Make sure you buy a humidifier thats the right size for the space where itll be used. A humidifier thats too large for the space can create too much moisture which, in turn, could encourage the growth of mold and bacteria. A humidifier thats too small wont give you the level of humidity you need to help relieve your symptoms.
- Easy to clean. Choose a model thats easy to take apart and put back together, so cleaning is quick and simple.
- Humidity feature. Look for a humidistat feature that shuts off the device when the air reaches an optimal humidity.
- Listen before you buy. Turn the humidifier on and listen to it before you buy it. Some models may be loud enough to disturb your sleep.
- Read reviews. Be sure to read the ratings and reviews on different humidifiers before you buy one. Make sure it has the features you need and that it will be easy to clean and maintain.
- Check out the warranty. Look for a product warranty that lasts at least a year.
The right kind of humidifier may help reduce sinusitis and allergy symptoms when used correctly.
Here are a few tips on how to use a humidifier:
Also Check: Otc Remedies For Sinus Infection
When To Seek Medical Care
See a doctor if you have:
- Severe symptoms, such as severe headache or facial pain.
- Symptoms that get worse after initially improving.
- Symptoms lasting more than 10 days without improvement.
- Fever longer than 3-4 days.
You should also seek medical care if you have had multiple sinus infections in the past year.
This list is not all-inclusive. Please see a doctor for any symptom that is severe or concerning.
Other conditions can cause symptoms similar to a sinus infection, including:
- Seasonal allergies
Ear Congestion Causes And How To Relieve Clogged Ears
27th Jan 18 4:44 pm by admin
Taking off in an airplane, swimming completely submerged, or riving up a canyon, all of these situations can cause pressure in the inner ear . The result is ear congestion, or ear fullness. Symptoms like vertigo, pain, tenderness, itching, muffled hearing, and tinnitus can sometimes accompany the ear congestion.
Ear congestion is the name we give to every condition preventing sounds from being heard clearly. It is one of the most frequent ear problems, and there is an increase in recent years due to a rise in upper respiratory tract infections. Also, as we use airplanes as a mean for transportation more frequently, it is logical and normal to expect more ear congestion problems.
But when should you worry, and what are all the causes of ear congestion? Generally speaking, an ear congestion can be easily treated with home remedies. But if it persists for more than five days, you should visit a physician.
Also Check: Best Sinus Pressure Relief Medication
You May Like: Severe Sinus Pain And Pressure
To Help Prevent Nasal Congestion From Allergic Or Environmental Causes Such As Hay Fever Or Vasomotor Rhinitis:
- Wash your hands often
- Avoid touching your face, especially your eyes and nose
- Avoid triggers, such as dust, pollen, perfumes, smoke, and other irritants
- Avoid food and beverages with high levels of histamines, such as alcohol and fermented dairy products
- Wear a mask on days with bad air quality
- Take a hot shower and rinse your sinuses with a saline solution before bed
- Change your pillowcases and bedding often
- Keep dust to a minimum
- Close the windows and use AC when possible
- Use air filters and purifiers when possible
H2o: A Natural Alternative To Sinus Infection Antibiotics
One of the most powerful solvents on earth is nothing more than pure water. Water is used in many applications as a thinner, cleaner, and diluter. When it comes to a sinus infection, water can be used in much the same way to thin mucus, clean the sinuses, and dilute a blockage, which is one of the major sinus infection vs cold benefits. Getting rid of your sinus infection may involve the use of liquid, mist, or vaporized water.
Also Check: Allergy Asthma And Sinus Center Mt Juliet
Will Impacted Ear Wax Fix Itself
Will impacted ear wax fix itself? The short answer is that it is unlikely. While it is true that our ears are self-cleaning, and wax should be carried out of the ear canal naturally, if your ear wax has built up to the point that it is symptomatic, and impacted, you may need a little more help.
Dont Miss: Phonak Compilot Bluetooth Pairing
Warm Compress Is Not Good If:
- You have an ear infection. This remedy should not be practiced as the conditions might worsen. The symptoms are yellow discharge from the ear
- You have a slight fever because of ear pain or cannot turn your head in the opposite direction from the affected ear. It is mandatory that you consult an ENT expert as soon as possible.
Read Also: How To Pair Widex Hearing Aids To Iphone
Read Also: Why Do I Have Sinus Pressure
Invest In A Humidifier
Humidifiers add moisture to the air, which may help reduce inflammation and open up your nasal passages. For a humidifier to be the most effective, Abi Hachem says it should be placed as close as possible to you in the same room so it can deliver the humidity into your nasal cavity.
Itâs also important to keep your humidifier clean to prevent bacteria and fungi from building up in the tank and being released into the air, potentially causing lung problems. To clean your humidifier, follow the manufacturerâs instructions. The EPA recommends that you empty the tank and dry all surfaces of the humidifier every day.
Boost Your Immune System With Vitamins And Herbs
Can cold-busting vitamin C also help zap congestion? Vitamin C has been demonstrated in some studies to shorten the duration of a cold and decrease the severity of symptoms but it doesnt directly affect congestion, says Stringer. So if youre battling congestion related to a cold, popping some extra vitamin C may help you get over your cold symptoms faster. But if your congestion is related to allergies, vitamin C wont bring relief.
A few herbal treatments, especially menthol and eucalyptus oil, can also help ease a stuffy nose. Menthol, a derivative of peppermint oil, can be found in inhaled balms and rubs for congestion. Menthol doesnât actually decrease congestion, says Stringer. Instead, it stimulates the nerve receptors in the nose, which makes the nose feel like more air is going through it, and this is often perceived as cold air. But theres no real effect on congestion or the amount of air moving through the nose. Still, mentholated products are a good option to try when seeking fast short-term relief from sinus congestion.
Read Also: Sinus Headache For 3 Days
What If I Recommended Herbs And Spices
Tell you what, few foods clear up your nasal passages as efficiently as eating spicy foods. Integrating a healthy amount of spices into your meals naturally restores the flow of the mucus.
How To Relieve A Head Cold And Sinus Congestion
Though there are some differences between head congestion and sinus congestion, the following tips can help provide relief from your symptoms. Be sure to talk to your doctor if you have any questions or concerns.
- Drink plenty of water: Water can help thin mucus, which is more likely to drain.
- Make a wrap: Applying a warm towel to your head to ease swollen tissues and relieve pressure.
- Get steamy: Inhaling steam helps keep nasal passages moist and assists with drainage.
- Find relief with SUDAFED®: SUDAFED PE® Head Congestion + Pain can help relievethe pain and pressure associated with head congestion while SUDAFED PE® Sinus Pressure + Pain with acetaminophen can help provide relief from sinus pain and pressure.
Recommended Reading: How Treat Sinus Infection Without Antibiotics
About Ear Nose And Throat
Ear, Nose, and Throat Services at UPMC Presbyterian Shadyside ranks among the best nationally on U.S. News & World Reports listings. Our team includes board-certified physicians and highly skilled speech-language pathologists and audiologists. We treat a variety of ear, nose, and throat conditions in both children and adults and provide both surgical and non-surgical options. Our doctors also take part in research and clinical trials. We have locations throughout western Pennsylvania for patient convenience.
Also Check: How Long Until Sinus Infection Goes Away
What Happens If You Let A Sinus Infection Go Untreated
A sinus infection that is left untreated can not only make life miserable it may develop into chronic sinusitis. If an infection isnt cared for properly, it could also result in some potentially serious complications. These types of issues are rare but they can occur:
If left untreated, sinus infections could potentially spread to the eyes, causing redness, irritation, and/or swelling. In severe cases, sufferers may experience reduced, blurry, or a complete loss of vision.
- Severe sinusitis may need to be treated with antibiotics administered through an IV.
- A CT scan may be required to determine the seriousness of the infection.
- In very rare cases, brain abscesses or meningitis may result from a severe and untreated sinus infection.
Recommended Reading: How To Naturally Stop Sinus Drainage
Sinusitis: 5 Amazing Natural Remedies To Unclog Stuffy Nose
Sinusitis develops when mucus builds up in the cavities between the nose and head. This causes the cavities to become swollen and inflamed. The skeletal system has many air pockets or sinus cavities lined by the mucus membranes. Sinusitis disturbs the way mucus membrane drains and makes your nose stuffy and breathing difficult. Also Read: Top 3 Remedies To Try For Chronic Sinusitis
The regions around the eyes may look swollen and tender. A sinus infection or recurrent sinusitis can cause pain and pressure in your face and it may take a toll on your normal activities.Having Breathing Trouble Due To Blocked Nose? Try Some Of Our Ayurvedic Supplements For Sinusitis!
Sinusitis relapses often which results in discomfort and pressure around the nose, poor sense of smell and taste, headache, fatigue and tiredness. Sinusitis is caused when the small hair cells that line the nose do not eliminate mucus causing blockages. Some of the causes for sinusitis include:
- Viral or fungal or bacterial infections
- Common cold
- Other health problems like deviated nasal septum or nasal polyps
People suffering from sinusitis lookout for simple and effective home remedies to ease pain and discomfort. Home remedies and palliative measures can work effectively to calm the irritated passage and improve the flow of mucus so that you dont feel stuffed.1. Essential Oils
Take a deep breath and inhale the vapours of these essential oils.
2. Apple Cider Vinegar
3. Ginger Tea
4. Grapefruit Extract