Which Sinus Headache Medicine Should I Use
If you notice pain or pressure behind your eyes around your sinuses, you may be suffering from a sinus headache. Frequent sinus headaches are certainly a cause for concern, and if you find yourself constantly congested, you should visit an ENT to discover the real root of the problem.
However, in the meantime, you can turn to over-the-counter drugs for a bit of temporary relief. Below, well discuss the three common types of sinus headache medicine and how they can help.
Where Are The Sinuses Located
The sinuses are named according to their location in the skull bones:
- The frontal sinuses are located over the forehead, above the eyes on both sides.
- The maxillary sinuses are located over the cheek area, in the bone known as the maxilla, located under the eyes on both sides of the face.
- The ethmoid sinuses are located in the bone that divides the eyes and nose.
- The sphenoid sinuses are located in the sphenoid bone at the center of the skull, behind the eyes.
The sinuses are lined by mucous membranes that secrete fluid and are connected to the nasal cavity by small channels or ducts. The sinuses are sometimes collectively referred to as the paranasal sinuses because of their proximity to the nose.
Inflammation due to any cause can cause a buildup of fluid and increased sinus pressure, causing the typical symptoms of a sinus headache.
What Causes A Sinus Headache
Inflammation of the tissues lining the sinuses is the primary cause of a sinus headache. The inflamed tissues swell and produce secretions that clog the normal drainage system of the sinuses, causing a build-up of fluid and secretions. The pressure of this fluid build-up causes the pain of a sinus headache. Inflammation of the sinuses is known as sinusitis. The inflammation may arise due to an
Most commonly, infectious sinusitis is due to a viral infection, but bacterial and fungal infections of the sinuses can also occur. Since the maxillary sinuses are located in the cheekbone, infections of the upper teeth can spread into these sinuses. In very rare cases, benign or malignant tumors can invade and block drainage in the sinuses and lead to a sinus headache.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE
Don’t Miss: Allegra D For Sinus Infection
How To Treat Sinus Headache If You Have Both High Blood Pressure And Are Taking Thyroid Medicine
- 17 Jan 2015 by Dan2525
Mucinex Cold & Sinus, can cause or raise blood pressure, I take thyroid medicine you could take it with that, I would consult with your Doctor before taking it, there are some over the counter medâs that you can take with high blood pressure, clorcentin is one, I know I didnât spell that right, you could also call the drugstore and ask them Iâm sure they would know what would be best for you to take.
Ask your doc or pharmacist about taking Claritin â itâs okay for HBP, but Iâm not sure about the thyroid.
Also Check: Spicy Food And Blood Pressure
What Is A Sinus Headache
- A sinus headache is the result of inflammation and a build-up of pressure within the sinuses of the skull.
- The sinuses are cavities or pockets located within the bones of the skull.
- In addition to contributing to the strength and stability of the skull, the sinuses help to humidify and filter the air.
Also Check: Best Antibiotic For Acute Sinus Infection
When To See Your Doctor
You need to seek medical help if:
- You have symptoms that last two weeks or longer, or a cold that gets worse after the first week.
- Your headache is not relieved by standard medication.
- Fever is present.
- You have symptoms after finishing your antibiotics.
- Your vision has changed during the infection.
Ayr Saline Nasal Gel With Soothing Aloe
For buyers looking for something that doesnt have too much of a menthol scent, Ayr Saline Nasal Gel with Soothing Aloe is the best over the counter medicine for a sinus infection. This natural product incorporates a high concentration of aloe, which works well to soothe irritated nasal tissues to help relieve discomfort.
What many users love about Ayr Saline Nasal Gel with Soothing Aloe is that its long-lasting and easy to use. A single application around the nasal cavity and nostrils can provide lasting relief for up to 6 hours, making it the ideal solution for those who do not want to keep applying throughout the day. It is also ideal for use before bedtime, working well to keep the sinuses clear while you snooze.
Recommended Reading: Flonase Help With Sinus Pressure
Its Best To Choose Cold And Flu Medication By Symptom
The key to picking the right product or products to help you feel better faster is to zero in on your symptoms. Also important: Whenever possible, stick to single-ingredient remedies to reduce the risk of side effects, says Nate Favini, MD, an internist and medical director of the nationwide healthcare system Forward.
Choose a medication thats going to directly address the symptom or symptoms that are bothering you rather than a cocktail that may include things you dont need, he says. For example, if the label of a cold or flu medication says that it treats fevers, coughs, and runny noses but you have only a cough, choose a simple cough suppressant instead.
Also Check: Prescription Antibiotics For Sinus Infection
Vicks Vapoinhaler Portable Nasal Inhaler 2 Count
- Provides allergy medicine for sneezing, runny nose, itchy nose or throat, and itchy, watery eyes and cold symptoms like sneezing and runny nose.
- Works when you need it most with an allergy medicine in small, convenient antihistamine tablets that put your allergies to rest.
- 100-count pack of benadryl ultratabs antihistamine allergy relief tablets each containing 25 mg of the antihistamine diphenhydramine hcl for allergy relief that works when you need it most.
- Active ingredient, diphenhydramine hcl, provides relief for hay fever or other upper respiratory allergy symptoms and cold symptoms like sneezing and runny nose.
- Allergy medicine tablets for multi-symptom allergy relief intended to be used by adults and children ages six and up for relief of both indoor and outdoor allergies.
Also Check: How To Relieve Severe Sinus Pressure In Face
Home Remedies For Sinus Pressure
Sinus pressure symptoms can be painful and uncomfortable to deal with, and it can take a toll on your daily life. While decongestants and pain relievers can help, they often come with unwanted side effects. Why put your body through the extra trouble when this relatively harmless problem can easily be treated by alternative home remedies by using some commonly available ingredients and easy healing techniques. Such all-natural home remedies work particularly well to ease mild to moderate symptoms and boost your recovery in the nascent stages of the condition.
Here are the top 9 ways to relieve sinus pressure
What Kind Of Doctor Or Other Healthcare Professional Treats Sinus Headache
- Frequently, sinus headaches are managed by primary care physicians including those that specialize in internal medicine, family medicine, or pediatrics.
- For complicated cases, an ear, nose, and throat specialist may be consulted.
- With unusual infections, such as fungal infections, a specialist in infectious diseases may be consulted.
You May Like: How Does A Sinus Infection Spread
Top 10 Best Medicine For Cough And Sinus Congestion
Are you looking for best medicine for cough and sinus congestion, weve consulted top experts who has in-and-out knowledge about the medicine for cough and sinus congestion. We choose the top most quality product, which comes with amazing features youve never heard before. We have filter more than 100+ of product to give you top 10 list of best medicine for cough and sinus congestion.
This list is undoubtedly the best medicine for cough and sinus congestion available in the market today. However, if you dont want to spend more time on filtering and finding which one is good medicine for cough and sinus congestion, then you should absolutely go for our Top list of the winner. which comes with all the basic features one could expect in a medicine for cough and sinus congestion.
Why Is Sinus Pressure In The Ears So Painful
When experiencing pain and pressure in the ears caused by sinus congestion, there are many questions that may cross your mind. How do I make it go away? The cause of the pain in your ears is usually due to sinus pressure. This is because sinus congestion and stuffiness can affect the pressure in your ears. The pressure in your sinuses affects more than just your nose. It can also cause pain in your ears, dizziness, and the feeling that your ears feel stuffed up or clogged. The good news is, there are several remedies to bring you relief.
Recommended Reading: How To Prevent Sinus Migraines
Can I Prevent Sinusitis
There is no sure-fire way to prevent sinusitis. But there are some things that might help.
- Donât smoke, and avoid other people’s smoke.
- Wash your hands often, especially during cold and flu season, and try not to touch your face.
- Stay away from things you know youâre allergic to. Talk to your doctor to see if you need prescription medicines, allergy shots, or other forms of immunotherapy.
If your sinus problems keep coming back, ask your doctor about the pros and cons of surgery to clean and drain the sinuses.
Natural Remedies For Sinus Congestion
When you’re feeling stuffed up and miserable, getting to the drugstore seems almost impossible. Fortunately for you, there are a number of home remedies for sinus congestion relief, here’s three:
1. Humidity:Keeping your nasal passages moist when you’re experiencing sinus congestion may help to relieve that “stuffy” feeling. To do this, apply a warm, wet towel against your face or run hot water in the shower to unblock the sinuses. You could also use a humidifier for the same purpose.
2. Neti pot: A neti pot looks like a miniature teapot with a long spout. With the help of saline or a saltwater solution, these tiny nasal irrigation devices are used to treat congested sinuses, allergies, and the common cold. You can purchase a neti pot online or at your nearest health food or drugstore. Note of caution: Tap water isn’t safe to use as it’s not filtered or treated and may contain material that could cause infection or irritation.
3. Aromatherapy: Aromatherapy is a holistic healing treatment that uses essential oils to reduce pain or improve sleep. While there’s still research that needs to be done, some studies suggest specific essential oils may relieve symptoms of sinus congestion. According to the National Association for Holistic Aromatherapy , 1,8 cineole, the main component of eucalyptus oil, has been proven to clear airways of mucus and is a natural cough suppressant.
Don’t Miss: Nose Spray For Sinus Pressure
Best For Good Size: Les Labs Sinus Pressure Relief Medicine
Compared with other medicine in this category, the Les labs sinus pressure relief medicine has a convenient design. The Les labs sinus pressure relief medicine is best for severe allergies and it has side-effects. The Manufacturer says: Were certain youll see the les labs difference, not only in the quality of our formulations but more importantly in how you feel. These statements have not been evaluated by the food and drug administration.
The medicine is anti-inflammatory, is gentle and it does the trick. Also, the medicine works for other ingredients, works for itchy eyes and it works well for good quality. Most importantly, the Les Labs Sinus Pressure Relief Medicine is specifically formulated to support respiratory health for sinus sufferers and can help improve breathing quality.
Almost all customers quickly discovered that the medicine is used for reducing swelling , especially of the nose and sinuses, after surgery or injury. And, a few strongly agree that the medicine works with no side effects, seller support. In addition, a few strongly agree that the medicine is manufactured to high standards of quality and are a good choice for people interested in natural supplements for sinus and seasonal allergies. To sum up, many buyers have used the les labs sinus pressure relief medicine for more than a few months without any problems, and it shows no sign of giving up.
Top Customer Quotes:
Nasal Saline Sprays: Non
Nasal saline is an invaluable addition to the list of over-the-counter medications. It is ideal for all types of nasal problems. The added moisture produced by the saline reduces thick secretions and assists in the removal of infectious agents. There is no risk of becoming addicted to nasal saline. It should be applied as a mist to the nose up to six times per day. Nasal saline can also be made at home: contact your otolaryngologist for details.
You May Like: What Are The Ingredients In Advil Cold And Sinus
How Is A Sinus Headache Diagnosed
- Usually, a careful history and physical examination can establish the diagnosis of a sinus headache. Blood tests are usually not necessary.
- In some cases, the healthcare professional may order a CT scan to obtain images of the sinuses, but this is not common. A negative CT scan and examination can help rule out sinus disease.
- Other causes of headaches, including migraines, may initially present with symptoms thought to be from sinus inflammation.
When Should I Seek Medical A Care For A Sinus Headache
- Sinus headaches and infections may sometimes be successfully treated at home .
- However, you should seek medical care if you are not sure what is causing your symptoms or if you have signs of a severe infection including high fever, symptoms that do not resolve with time, or if over-the-counter pain relievers are not effective in controlling the pain.
- You should also seek care if you notice swelling in the face that accompanies the pain, swelling around your eye or changes in vision, since this could be a sign of an abscess.
Read Also: What To Take For A Sinus Pressure Headache
What Medications Are Used To Treat Sinus Infections
First and foremost, if you are suffering from an active bacterial sinus infection you may be treated with antibiotics. Depending on whether you have acute sinusitis or chronic sinusitis will determine your course of therapy.As acute sinusitis may require 10 -14 days of antibiotic therapy chronic sinusitis may need to be treated for up to 30 days with medication.Remember Most cases of sinusitis are caused by viruses such as the common cold and will clear up within 10 or so days. In this case, antibiotics will not be helpful as antibiotics kill bacteria not viruses. Based upon your symptoms, medical history and physical examination your doctor will help determine if antibiotics are necessary.
Sinus headaches hurt. Sometimes the pain and pressure can make basic everyday activities impossible to do. So many times those suffering from sinusitis will take an over the counter medication such as acetaminophen or ibuprofen . Make sure to follow the labeled directions and see your doctor if your symptoms havent improved after a week or if they worsen.
Aerosolized antibiotics, steroids and antifugal treatments:
These may be administered through an aerosol or a nasal rinse. Frequently a compounding pharmacy is required to create this rinse.
Typical Dosing For Allegra
Adults and children 12 years of age and older:
- 12-hour tablet: The typical dose is one tablet with water twice a day. Dont take more than 2 tablets a day.
- 24-hour tablet: The typical dose is one tablet with water once a day. Dont take more than one tablet a day.
Children under 12 years of age:
- Oral suspension: For children aged 2 to 12, take 5 mL every 12 hours. Dont take more than 10 mL in 24 hours
- Dissolvable tablet: For children aged 6 to 12, take 1 tablet every 12 hours on an empty stomach. Dont take more than 2 tablets in 24 hours.
Also Check: Can Sinus Cause Gum Pain
Taking Decongestants With Other Medicines
Ask a pharmacist or GP before taking decongestants if youâre taking other medicines.
For example, taking decongestants alongside some antidepressants can cause a dangerous rise in blood pressure.
Itâs also important to be careful when taking other medicines if youâre using an âall-in-1â decongestant remedy.
âAll-in-1â decongestants also contain painkillers or antihistamines, so it could be dangerous to take extra doses of these medicines at the same time.
Page last reviewed: 28 February 2019 Next review due: 28 February 2022
Side Effects Of Sinus Medication
Because of sinus medicine high blood pressure can likely increase drastically as these medicines may affect the functionality of your stress hormone. Moreover, sinus drugs have a tendency to make your kidneys work slower than normal.
This causes the slow down of your blood filtering and as a result more pressure is built-up in your blood vessels.
Research states that two of the main active ingredients present in the most common sinus drugs have proven to increase your blood pressure.
If you have hypertension it is recommended that you not take any sinus medication for more than ten days.
Recommended Reading: How To Cure A Bacterial Sinus Infection
Mucinex Nightshift Sinus 6 Fl Oz Relieves Fever Sore Throat Runny Nose Sneezing
- Both formulas help relieve sinus pressure and sinus congestion, and nasal congestion due to the common cold, hay fever, or upper respiratory allergies.
- 20-count of sudafed pe sinus congestion day + night maximum strength decongestant tablets to temporarily relieve sinus pressure and sinus congestion for both day and night.
- From the #1 pharmacist recommended brand among oral otc decongestants, this maximum-strength formula can be used by adults and children 12 years and older for powerful relief.
- Each multi-pack contains 20 tablets of nasal decongestant, with 12 daytime and 8 nighttime tablets for powerful symptom relief throughout the day and while you sleep.
- Each daytime and nighttime dose contains 10 milligrams of the nasal decongestant phenylephrine hcl and each nighttime dose also contains 25 milligrams of the antihistamine diphenhydramine hcl.