Foods That Help Relieve Sinus Congestion
Sinus congestion has many reverberating symptoms that can ruin your day and put you out of commission. Sinus congestion is the fullness you feel in various areas across your face, head and neck caused by a blockage in the sinus cavities. Sinus congestion occurs when the mucus in your nasal passageway doesnt drain properly, leaving a build-up that blocks your sinuses.
How Do I Know If Ive Ruptured An Eardrum
A variety of things can cause your eardrum to rupture, including ear infections, foreign objects, and stress from pressure differences between the middle ear and the outside environment.
You should always be sure to contact your doctor if youre experiencing any of the symptoms of a ruptured eardrum. Some symptoms to look out for include:
- ear pain that comes on and then quickly goes away
- hearing loss
How Can I Tell If I Have A Sinus Infection Cold Or Nasal Allergy
It can be difficult to tell the difference between a cold, allergies, and a sinus infection. The common cold typically builds, peaks, and slowly disappears. It lasts a few days to a week. A cold can transform into a sinus infection. Nasal allergy is inflammation of the nose due to irritating particles . Symptoms of a nasal allergy can include sneezing, itchy nose and eyes, congestion, runny nose, and post nasal drip . Sinusitis and allergy symptoms can happen at the same time as a common cold.
If you are fighting off a cold and develop symptoms of a sinus infection or nasal allergy, see your healthcare provider. You will be asked to describe your symptoms and medical history.
You May Like: How To Become A Hearing Aid Specialist In Texas
You May Like: Alka Seltzer Plus Sinus Cold And Cough
Ways To Clear A Clogged Ear
You can treat a clogged ear at home. However, keep in mind that your ear is extremely delicate and you may risk damaging your ears. Seek the advice of a doctor before trying these remedies.
Corticosteroid Drops Or Sprays
Corticosteroids, also known as steroids, are a group of medications that can help to reduce inflammation.
If you have persistent symptoms of sinusitis, your GP may prescribe steroid nasal drops or sprays to help reduce the swelling in your sinuses. These may need to be used for several months.
You May Like: Advil Cold And Sinus Warnings
Stuffiness Ear Discomfort And Sinus Pain
Get moisture. Use a nasal saline spray several times a day, or hold a warm, moist washcloth to your face. This can ease the pressure and pain.
Humidifiers will also help keep your sinuses from drying out. Or you can sit in the bathroom with a hot shower running for 15 minutes to curb pain.
Try a . Over-the-counter tablets or nasal sprays can ease sinus blockage which in turn can relieve clogged ears. But don’t use nasal decongestant sprays for more than 3 days, or you will reboundâ¦ meaning the more you use it the more you need it because youâre congested.
Avoid extreme temperatures. They can make sinus-related ear problems worse. If your ears bother you, it isnât the time to go jogging on a hot day or build a snow fort with the kids.
Keep your head up. If you bend forward with your head down, it can make the pressure worse. Youâll want to skip yoga class until the sinus problem is over.
Blow your nose gently. Block one nostril while you blow through the other.
Drink plenty of fluids. Down lots of water in the evening. When you stay hydrated, it keeps nasal mucus thin. That helps it drain and means less nighttime stuffiness.
How To Unclog The Inner Ear Or Eustachian Tube
This article was co-authored by Payam Daneshrad, MD. Dr. Payam Daneshrad is a board certified Otolaryngologist, a board eligible Facial Plastic Surgeon, and the Owner and Director of DaneshradClinic in Los Angeles, California. With over 19 years of experience, Dr. Daneshrad specializes in adult and pediatric Otolaryngology-head and neck surgery, packing-less nasal surgery, minimally invasive sinus surgery, and snoring treatment. He also uses the newest surgical ENT techniques for tonsillectomy, adenoidectomy, thyroidectomy, and parathyroidectomy. Dr. Daneshrad graduated with a BS and the highest honors from the University of California, Berkeley. He earned his Doctor of Medicine from Tulane University School of Medicine, where he was accepted into the AOA, the medical honors society, and the Tulane University School of Public Health. Dr. Daneshrad received his medical training from the University of Southern California, where he currently serves as an Associate Clinical Professor. Dr. Daneshrad is the Otolaryngologist and Facial Plastic Surgeon for the Los Angeles Sparks and the athletic teams of Loyola Marymount University.There are 11 references cited in this article, which can be found at the bottom of the page.wikiHow marks an article as reader-approved once it receives enough positive feedback. This article received 50 testimonials and 87% of readers who voted found it helpful, earning it our reader-approved status. This article has been viewed 4,199,214 times.
Read Also: Advil Sinus Congestion & Pain Relief
How Ear Pressure Occurs
When your Eustachian tube is blocked or stops functioning properly, it can trap fluids within the middle ear. When the Eustachian tube gets clogged, you may feel pressure in your ear, muffling your hearing and causing ear pain. Eventually, this could turn into a painful ear infection.
Any condition that affects your sinuses can cause ear congestion, including:
- Common colds
- Changes in Altitude
- Wax or Fluid Buildup
Ear congestion symptoms can also be caused by other issues in your middle ear or the ear canal that affects the eardrumalso referred to as the tympanic membrane. If you have experienced symptoms and need relief, visit our office today.
What Is Pressure For People How Do They Describe It
- pain that is more of a pressure,
- bordering with brain fog, lack motivation, difficulty thinking, anxiety
- making simple decisions can be overwhelming
- visual symptoms visual aura visual snow colored stars dots that sometimes flash
- often accompanied by stiff neck and jaw
- tingling in the head, above ears
- sound of an ocean when describing pressure in head
- ringing tinnitus
- zaps, or waves after it went through the area sensitivity changes, sometimes reflected in the different body part, say leg or hand.
- people are very scared that these symptoms can be caused by tumor in the brain.
- zaps, tingling, pressure, ringing, numbness. Its weird and unusual. Nobody around seems to have these.
- feels as stretched under the skin
- difference in level of sensitivity on the left and right sides face, neck, head, back, front, lower body.
- turns one side ever so slightly
- one side feels heavier, more sensitive to motion like nodding and turning
- difficult to watch TV or driving without one side of head feeling just OFF
- feeling out-of-it
Also Check: Steroid Nasal Spray For Sinus Infection
How Is A Cholesteatoma Treated
Generally speaking, the only way to treat a cholesteatoma is to have it surgically removed. The cyst must be removed to prevent the complications that can occur if it grows larger. Cholesteatomas dont go away naturally. They usually continue to grow and cause additional problems.
Once a cholesteatoma has been diagnosed, a regimen of antibiotics, ear drops, and careful cleaning of the ear will most likely be prescribed to treat the infected cyst, reduce inflammation, and drain the ear. Your medical professional will then be able to better analyze the growth traits of the cyst and make a plan for surgical removal.
In most cases, the surgery is an outpatient procedure. This means that you dont have to stay in the hospital after the procedure. A hospital stay is only necessary if the cyst is very large or if you have a serious infection. The surgery is done under general anesthesia. After the initial surgery to remove the cyst, follow-up surgery to reconstruct any damaged portions of the inner ear and make sure that the cyst has been completely removed is often necessary.
Once the cholesteatoma is removed, youll need to attend follow-up appointments to evaluate results and ensure the cyst hasnt come back. If the cyst broke any bones in your ear, youll need a second surgery to repair them.
After surgery, some people experience temporary dizziness or taste abnormalities. These side effects almost always resolve themselves within a few days.
Read Also:Tylenol Cold And Sinus Liquid
Sinus Infections And Other Health Effects
Aside from ear pain and dizziness, a sinus infection can also cause temporary hearing loss. Sinus-related hearing loss occurs when the infection spreads to the ears, specifically the middle ear. Hearing can become affected if inflammation puts pressure on the ear drum. This inflammation can cause discharge of fluid and the build-up of fluid in the eardrum, which leads to pain and temporary hearing loss.
When the fluid and pressure are relieved the hearing loss will reverse, and you can go back to hearing how you previously did, prior to the infection. If the fluid does not drain commonly seen in children the continuous pressure can cause the eardrum to burst, which contributes to permanent hearing loss.
Its important to prevent sinus infections as well as treating them right away, so that you dont encounter any complications.
Other health complications that can stem from a sinus infection are headaches and throat problems, such as coughing or a sore throat.
Related: Natural treatments to unclog ears
Also Check: Best Non Drowsy Allergy Sinus Medicine
Why Chiropractic Care For Stuffy Ears
Chiropractic care is a simple and effective way to treat stuffy ears. In addition, if an infection present, chiropractic treatments are helpful for those who want to reduce their intake of antibiotics, which can potentially reduce immunity by also destroying the good bacteria that lives in our gut. Chiropractic care therefore offers a body-friendly, drug-free approach to treating potential ear infections by relieving ear congestion naturally.
Home Remedies For Clogged Ears Due To Sinus Infections
Here are some additional home remedies that can help alleviate ear problems associated with sinus infections and even wax build-up.
- Yawning helps redistribute the fluid in your ear.
- Take a hot, steamy shower.
- Make a mixture of hydrogen peroxide and warm water and pour it into the ear.
- Chew gum as it can help move wax out of the ear.
- Combine rubbing alcohol and vinegar and use the mixture as ear drops.
- Pinch your nose and blow to pop your ears.
- Drop warm olive oil into your ear once again this breaks up wax.
- Combine rubbing alcohol and apple cider vinegar as ear drops to help treat infection.
- Apply warm compresses to the ears.
- Gargle with warm water and salt.
You May Like: Tylenol Cold And Sinus Liquid
Recommended Reading: What Antibiotic Is Prescribed For Sinus Infection
Food Grade Hydrogen Peroxide
Food grade hydrogen peroxide can help you get rid of a buildup of ear wax quickly and effectively which can help you to unplug your ear. Hydrogen peroxide has an antiseptic effect that can help to prevent skin infections. According to doctors at WebMD, the bubbling action helps to bring up dirt and loosen it.5
Researchers from Harvard Medical School recommend using 3% hydrogen peroxide for ear wax removal.6
If you want to get rid of a congested ear using hydrogen peroxide, this is what you should do:
- Put two drops of 3% food grade hydrogen peroxide in your clogged ear. Dont exceed that amount or you could damage your eardrum.
- Wait until you hear a fizzing sound .
- Let it fizz for few minutes until it stops.
- Tilt your head to the side, so that the solution and ear wax can drip out.
Do this every time you need to unclog your ears from excess ear wax.
Hydrogen peroxide can also treat ear infections due to its antiseptic properties, and you can read more about in my article on how to use hydrogen peroxide for an ear infection.
For more ideas on how to use hydrogen peroxide read my post about 11 amazing uses for hydrogen peroxide.
Dont Miss: Why Does My Sinus Smell Bad
Have Some Olive Oil Drops
Olive oil is one of the best natural remedies for relieve ear congestion. Due to a build up of wax inside the ears, you can use olive oil to soften ear wax. Then you can easily remove it.
- Heat some pure olive oil. Put a few drops of the lukewarm olive oil with a dropper in the affected ear.
- Keep it for 10 minutes to soften the earwax. Tilt your head to remove the earwax and oil with ear buds. Do this gently as it is a delicate organ.
Also Check: Minute Clinic For Sinus Infection
Use The Hydrogen Peroxide
Hydrogen peroxide is very effective for the treatment to relieve ear congestion. You can use hydrogen peroxide for blockage of the ear by wax accumulation.
- Use a dropper to put 2 drops of 3 percent hydrogen peroxide in the blocked ear.
- Then you will feel fizzing within a few minutes.
- After 10 minutes, tilt your head so that the ear wax comes out.
How To Tell If Its Something More
If your ear pressure sticks around after you otherwise feel better and you start to experience issues like ear pain, fluid drainage, and hearing loss, you may be dealing with an ear infection, Dr. Del Signore says. This can happen if the fluid thats built up in your inner ear becomes infected by a virus or bacteria, according to the Mayo Clinic.
Although ear infections often clear up on their own in a week or two without any treatment, according to the Mayo Clinic, severe cases can cause complications and may require antibiotics. If you suspect that you might have an ear infection, definitely see a doctor. Thanks to the wonders of modern medicine, they can take a detailed look inside your ears and figure out whats behind your symptoms.
Donât Miss: How To Unpop Ears From Water
Read Also: Advil Cold And Sinus Symptoms
What Causes A Clogged Ear
Clogged ears can disrupt the balance, affect hearing, and also cause pain and discomfort. Both internal and external factors can trigger the condition. They include:
- Barotrauma It occurs when your ears cant adapt to the changing pressure on an airplane .
- Ear Infection It is a result of fluid build-up in the ears that may cause virus or bacteria to multiply . A cold or flu often triggers an ear infection.
- Earwax Impaction It occurs due to an excessive production of earwax, which causes a build-up of wax in the ear canal .
- Presence of a foreign object like cotton inside the ear
- Swimmers Ear This condition results from water being trapped in the ear .
Also Check: Asl For Hungry
Use Warm Olive Oil To Soften Earwax
Olive oil may help water down the consolidated earwax and make it easier to expel. It is a mild fluid that is unlikely to trigger any adverse side effects or irritate the delicate lining of your inner ear.
You can also use mineral oil for this purpose.
Note: Do not use this method if you have a perforated eardrum. Also, make sure that the oil is comfortably warm and not so hot that it ends up burning the delicate inner lining of your ear.
You May Like: Self Remedy For Sinus Infection
How Do I Drain My Ears
Asked by Becky M., Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
After taking antibiotics for a sinus infection or ear infection, what is the best way to help encourage drainage of the middle ear or eustachian tube?
I have seen many remedies online, some of which recommend using a neti pot, but I feared making the situation worse. Is it normal to still feel some congestion in the ear area even after finishing the antibiotics?
Living Well ExpertDr. Jennifer ShuPediatrician,Children’s Medical Group
Homemade Ear Wax Solution
- Add few drops of mineral oil or glycerin into 1/4 1/2 cup of warm water.
- Lie down on your side with the clogged ear facing upwards.
- Pour this solution into the ear using a utensil of your choice.
- Stay in this position for about 10 minutes.
- Then tilt your head on the other side to drain out the solution from the ear.
- Gently pull the ear lobe down to completely drain out the solution.
- Do not repeat more than 3 times in a day.
- Avoid trying this process if you have plugged ears due to an infection.
- If you have symptoms such as yellow or green discharge, feeling feverish or pains, then consult a doctor.
Also Check: What Do Sinus Polyps Feel Like