What Is Advil Cold & Sinus
Advil Cold & Sinus may also be used for purposes not listed in this medication guide.
How Is Pseudoephedrine Misused
Pseudoephedrine can be misused as an ingredient for the illicit manufacture of methamphetamines.
In 2005, the FDA created the Combat Methamphetamine Epidemic Act, which banned over-the-counter sales of cold medicines that included the ingredient pseudoephedrine, requiring them to be sold behind the counter. The act also required consumers to present a photo identification and for stores to keep records of purchasers for at least two years. The law limits the amount an individual can purchase in a 30-day period. These changes were made after a surge of reported methamphetamine abuse revealed that people were using easily accessible over-the-counter medications that contained pseudoephedrine in order to manufacture methamphetamines in labs at home.
Pseudoephedrine does carry some risks of abuse on its own. Some people use the drug to promote alertness and as a stimulant. A study from Integrated Pharmacy Research and Practice notes that pseudoephedrine is among other medications available without a prescription that can be used to self-medicate, leading to a risk of abuse or addiction. Another study from BMJ Open Sport and Exercise Medicine notes that some athletes have abused pseudoephedrine as a performance-enhancing drug.
Pseudoephedrine is most dangerous when it is used in the manufacture of methamphetamines. The conversion of pseudoephedrine into methamphetamine is the most common way for people to get high using pseudoephedrine.
Dont Use Them Together
In general, pseudoephedrine and phenylephrine should not be used together. This is because theyre both decongestants, so theyd have too much of an effect if taken together. Combining them could lead to increases in both blood pressure and heart rate.
However, check with your doctor. In some cases, you may be able to try pseudoephedrine two to three hours after your last dose of phenylephrine if you didnt have symptom relief with phenylephrine.
Certain medications can make certain conditions or diseases worse. If you have any of the following conditions, you should discuss with your doctor before taking pseudoephedrine or phenylephrine:
- thyroid disease
- enlarged prostate gland
If you want to take pseudoephedrine, you should also talk to your doctor if you have glaucoma.
Don’t Miss: How To Get Rid Of A Pounding Sinus Headache
What Otc Is Good For Covid
Managing COVID-19 symptoms The majority of patients infected with COVID-19 experience a minor sickness and are able to make a full recovery at home. To help you feel better, you can treat the symptoms with over-the-counter medications like acetaminophen or ibuprofen , such as when you have a headache or a fever, for example.
- Find out more about the steps you should take in the event that you become ill.
- Treatment Search Engine You may discover a place that provides testing and treatment by calling 1-800-232-0233 or by clicking the button below.
- Alternatively, you can find a pharmacy where you can fill your prescription by calling 1-800-232-0233.
Look at the Locations
Stop Use And Ask A Healthcare Provider If
- An allergic reaction occurs, seek medical attention immediately
- You get nervous, dizzy or sleepless
- You have nasal congestion that lasts more than 7 days
- Your symptoms continue or get worse
- You have trouble swallowing or you feel like the caplet is stuck in your throat
- New or unexpected symptoms occur
- You have stomach pain that begins while taking this product or mild stomach problems that do not go away
- You have a fever that lasts longer than 3 days
You May Like: Deviated Septum Cause Sinus Infections
How To Save On Advil Allergy Sinus
Pfizer, the manufacturer of Advil Allergy Sinus, offers Advil Allergy Sinus manufacturer coupons in newspaper inserts, retailer coupon pamphlets, or other venues. There are no Advil Allergy Sinus patient assistance programs available at this time.
You can save money by switching to generic ibuprofen and pseudoephedrine See our Advil Allergy Sinus generics section for lower-priced generic alternatives to Advil Allergy Sinus.
You can save money on Advil Allergy Sinus when you use your SingleCare savings card. Our lowest price for Advil Allergy Sinus, when prescribed, is $8.02, which may be lower than your savings with the occasional Advil Allergy Sinus manufacturer coupons. And SingleCare is accepted at major retailers nationwide, including CVS, Target, Walmart, and more.
How Do I Use Blink For The First Time
To use Blink, you must have a valid prescription from a doctor. Search for your medication on blinkhealth.com and pay online.For free home delivery, we can help transfer prescriptions from your doctor or current pharmacy during checkout. Once weve received your prescription, your medication will be delivered in 4-6 business days.For local pharmacy pickup, pay online and you will receive a Blink card. Go to any of our participating pharmacies, show your Blink card to the pharmacist and pay $0 at the counter. Make sure the pharmacy has your prescription from your doctor.Prefer to get start over the phone give us a call 1 844 9621.If you dont have a prescription or need to renew your prescription, we can connect you with a US licensed medical professional for an online doctor visit for E.D., hair loss, birth control, cold sores, acid reflux, and high cholesterol.
Don’t Miss: What To Do For A Sinus Infection Naturally
What Other Drugs Interact With Ibuprofen/pseudoephedrine
If your doctor has directed you to use this medication, your doctor or pharmacist may already be aware of any possible drug interactions and may be monitoring you for them. Do not start, stop, or change the dosage of any medicine before checking with your doctor, health care provider or pharmacist first.
- Severe interactions of ibuprofen/pseudoephedrine include:
This document does not contain all possible interactions. Therefore, before using this product, tell your doctor or pharmacist of all the products you use. Keep a list of all your medications with you, and share the list with your doctor and pharmacist. Check with your physician if you have health questions or concerns.
Ask A Healthcare Provider Before Use If
- You consume more than 3 alcoholic beverages a day. It may increase the risk of stomach bleeding
- You have heart disease
- You have trouble urinating due to an enlarged prostate gland
- You have had serious side effects from any pain reliever or fever reducer
- You are pregnant or breastfeeding. It may cause problems in an unborn child if taken during the third trimester of pregnancy
Read Also: Medication To Take For Sinus Infection
Why Are Allergy Meds Behind The Counter
The most common types of medications in the United States are those that require a doctors prescription and those that may be purchased without a doctors permission. These are two concepts that have clear and straightforward meanings. Written permission from a registered medical professional, such as a doctor, dentist, physicians assistant, or nurse practitioner, is necessary in order to purchase prescription medications.
Medications that are available without a prescription, often known as over-the-counter , do not require this written authorization and can be obtained without limitation. Products that are designated to be accessible to patients only after having a conversation with the pharmacist and producing some kind of identification are somewhere in the gray area between the two categories.
Putting some pharmaceuticals behind the counter at a pharmacy serves two purposes: the first is to restrict access to individuals who could abuse them, while the second is to ensure that genuine patients still have appropriate access to the drugs they need without requiring them to have a prescription.
In this piece, we will focus on the prescriptions that are sold behind the counter , which fall into themiddle ground category of pharmaceuticals. The Food and Drug Administration issued a statement in 2006 announcing new legal criteria for the purchase and sale of drug items that include pseudoephedrine, ephedrine, or phenylpropanolamine.
Methamphetamine Precursor Electronic Tracking/monitoring System
The National Precursor Log Exchange will:
- Be provided without cost to retailers. This doesnât include costs relating to Internet access, optional hardware or other equipment.
- Immediately notify the retailer if a sale will exceed legal limits.
- Allow the retailer to override the stop-sale alert if the retailer is in reasonable fear of imminent bodily harm.
- Be accessible to law enforcement for investigative purposes.
Also Check: Tooth Abscess And Sinus Infection
Don’t Miss: Best Home Treatment For Sinus Infection
Can You Buy Pseudoephedrine Over The Counter In Australia
Pharmacists are required to record all over the counter sales of pseudoephedrine products on Project STOP. This means pharmacists have access to real-time records of pseudoephedrine purchases from pharmacies across Western Australia.
How much pseudoephedrine can i buy in Illinois?
Anyone who buys more than an arbitrary amount now 3.6 grams of pseudoephedrine base per day and 9 grams per month has committed a federal crime.
Read Also: How To Get Rid Of Cold Sinus Infection
Viruses Are The Culprits Behind Both Of These Illnesses
There are more than 200 viruses that can cause cold-like symptoms, says Campbell-Scherer. In contrast, there are just two influenza viruses, A and B, but they continually mutate, requiring the flu vaccine to be updated each year in order to protect against the latest strains.
You can contract cold or flu viruses by inhaling droplets in the air when an infected person coughs or sneezes, or by coming in contact with the other persons hands or a shared object or surface, and then touching your eyes, nose or mouth. Once the virus enters your body, it will zero in on the upper respiratory tract , although influenza can also affect the lungs. Cold viruses are infectious up to two days before symptoms appear and remain infectious until theyre gone. However, influenza is infectious one day before it appears and remains so for up to six days after symptoms develop.
Recommended Reading: Emergency Room For Sinus Infection
How Should I Take Advil Cold & Sinus
Use exactly as directed on the label, or as prescribed by your doctor. An overdose of ibuprofen can damage your stomach or intestines.
Take Advil Cold & Sinus with food or milk to lessen stomach upset.
If you need surgery, tell the surgeon ahead of time if you have taken this medicine within the past few days.
Store at room temperature away from moisture and heat.
What Are The Causes And Triggers Of Sinus Headaches
Sinus headaches are most often a symptom of sinusitis, in which the sinus becomes inflamed from allergies or other triggers like an infection. Sinus headaches may also result from seasonal allergies that last an extended period of time. This is called rhinitis, or hay fever. Sinus infections and sinus blockages can also trigger sinus headaches.
Recommended Reading: What Can Cause A Sinus Headache
When To Use Advil Cold & Sinus
Nasal and sinus congestion are symptoms of the common cold or flu. The decongestant in Advil Cold & Sinus relieves congestion to help relieve your stuffy nose and ibuprofen relieves pain. Advil Cold & Sinus is a safe, non-prescription drug that can be used by people 12 years and older. Its available behind the pharmacy counter at your local drugstore or grocery store. As with all medications, make sure to read all directions to ensure the proper usage and if you have any concerns, consult your physician.
What Are The Dosages Of Ibuprofen/pseudoephedrine
Dosages of Ibuprofen/Pseudoephedrine:
Dosage Considerations Should be Given as Follows:
- Adults and children over 12 years: 1 caplet/capsule orally every 4-6 hours as needed may increase to 2 caplets/capsules every 4-6 hours if necessary while symptoms persist
- Not to exceed 6 doses/24 hours
- Children under 12 years: Safety and efficacy not established
- Take with food or milk if stomach upset occurs
Recommended Reading: What To Take To Get Rid Of A Sinus Infection
What Are The Side Effects Of Ibuprofen And Pseudoephedrine
Get emergency medical help if you have signs of an allergic reaction or a severe skin reaction .
Get emergency medical help if you have signs of a heart attack or stroke: chest pain spreading to your jaw or shoulder, sudden numbness or weakness on one side of the body, slurred speech, leg swelling, feeling short of breath.
Stop using this medicine and call your doctor at once if you have:
- confusion, severe drowsiness, ringing in your ears, severe dizziness, feeling like you might pass out
- fast, pounding, or uneven heartbeat
- easy bruising or bleeding
- a skin rash, no matter how mild
- signs of stomach bleeding–bloody or tarry stools, coughing up blood or vomit that looks like coffee grounds
- liver problems–loss of appetite, stomach pain , tiredness, itching, dark urine, clay-colored stools, jaundice
- kidney problems–little or no urination, swelling in your feet or ankles, feeling tired or short of breath or
- nerve problems–fever, headache, neck stiffness, chills, increased sensitivity to light, seizure .
Common side effects may include:
- diarrhea, constipation
- sleep problems or
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
What Are Warnings And Precautions For Ibuprofen/pseudoephedrine
- This medication contains ibuprofen/pseudoephedrine. Do not take Advil Cold and Sinus if you are allergic to ibuprofen/pseudoephedrine or any ingredients contained in this drug.
- Keep out of reach of children. In case of overdose, get medical help or contact a Poison Control Center immediately.
- Immediately before or after heart surgery
- History of inducing asthma or urticaria with nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs
- Do not use with monoamine oxidase inhibitors or for 2 weeks after discontinuing MAO inhibitors because of risk for hypertensive crisis
Effects of Drug Abuse
- See “What Are Side Effects Associated with Using Ibuprofen/Pseudoephedrine?
- See “What Are Side Effects Associated with Using Ibuprofen/Pseudoephedrine?
How To Get Relief
It might be hard to believe: but those aggravating and uncomfortable symptoms youre experiencing from a cold or the flu are part of your bodys natural healing process. With each day that passes, your immune system is working hard to fight off the virus, so you can get better.
Both colds and the flu require lots of rest, fluids and time. Its best to let the virus run its course. In the meantime, there are some extra things you can do to feel better and experience that relief youve been craving. Heres how:
Can I Take Ibuprofen And Pseudoephedrine If Im Pregnant Or Breastfeeding
If you are pregnant, you should not take ibuprofen and pseudoephedrine unless your doctor tells you to. Taking an NSAID during the last 20 weeks of pregnancy can cause serious heart or kidney problems in the unborn baby and possible complications with your pregnancy.
Ask a doctor before using this medicine if you are breastfeeding.
Recommended Reading: How To Get Rid Of Sinus Drainage
Does Medicare Cover Advil Allergy Sinus And How Much Does It Cost
Because Advil Allergy Sinus is an inexpensive over-the-counter pain reliever with many less expensive generic alternatives, neither Medicare Advantage nor Medicare Part D cover Advil Allergy Sinus.
One option for Medicare-eligible patients with a prescription for Advil Allergy Sinus can be found with a SingleCare savings card. The cost of Advil Allergy Sinus with a SingleCare discount card is only $8.02.
Before Taking This Medicine
Ibuprofen can increase your risk of fatal heart attack or stroke, even if you don’t have any risk factors. Do not use this medicine just before or after heart bypass surgery .
Ibuprofen may also cause stomach or intestinal bleeding, which can be fatal. These conditions can occur without warning while you are using Advil Cold & Sinus, especially in older adults.
Do not use Advil Cold & Sinus if you have used an MAO inhibitor in the past 14 days. A dangerous drug interaction could occur. MAO inhibitors include isocarboxazid, linezolid, methylene blue injection, phenelzine, tranylcypromine, and others.
Do not give ibuprofen to a child younger than 12 years old.
Ask a doctor or pharmacist if this medicine is safe to use if you have ever had:
enlarged prostate, urination problems.
If you are pregnant, you should not take Advil Cold & Sinus unless your doctor tells you to. Taking an NSAID during the last 20 weeks of pregnancy can cause serious heart or kidney problems in the unborn baby and possible complications with your pregnancy.
Ask a doctor before using this medicine if you are breastfeeding.
Recommended Reading: What To Take For Sinus Headache With High Blood Pressure
Stop Use And Ask A Doctor If
- you experience any of the following signs of stomach bleeding:
- have bloody or black stools
- have stomach pain that does not get better
- you have symptoms of heart problems or stroke:
- weakness in one part or side of body
- fever gets worse or lasts more than 3 days
- nasal congestion lasts for more than 7 days
- symptoms continue or get worse
- redness or swelling is present in the painful area
- you get nervous, dizzy, or sleepless
- any new symptoms appear