Natural Sinus Headache Remedies
Some people prefer to go the natural route when treating a sinus headache. Most herbal solutions for nasal pain and congestion work by helping to prevent an infection . So the goal should be five lifestyle changes that can help keep an infection from developing and prevent what feels like your next sinus headache.
How Do You Know If You Have Sinus Headache Or Migraine
Listing all the symptoms separately can be confusing and is perhaps why so many sinus headache sufferers have not been correctly diagnosed.
Instead, below are the key symptoms side by side, Sinus Headache vs Migraine, in an easy to follow checklist so you can quickly find out the truth.
If youre not experiencing fever, swollen lymph nodes, and a persistent green or yellow nasal discharge and you have a headache in the sinus area, then you likely have migraine. It is difficult for doctors of patients with migraine and sinus symptoms to acknowledge that a CT scan of their sinuses looks normal and does not show the inflammation, fluid or swelling they would expect after years of rhinosinusitis. Patients and their doctors often fall into the trap of believing that they are nipping sinus infections in the bud with frequent antibiotics and that is why they never get infected drainage.
Take a moment to digest. Most people from the study who were told this rejected the finding at first. They had been told by on average by 4 doctors that it was their sinus. They had also been wrongly diagnosed for an average of 25 years
Ask A Healthcare Provider Before Use If
- You consume more than 3 alcoholic beverages a day. It may increase the risk of stomach bleeding
- You have heart disease
- You have trouble urinating due to an enlarged prostate gland
- You have had serious side effects from any pain reliever or fever reducer
- You are pregnant or breastfeeding. It may cause problems in an unborn child if taken during the third trimester of pregnancy
Recommended Reading: Home Remedies For Viral Sinus Infection
Treat Sinus Pain With Humidity
Dry, thick mucus in your nose and sinus passages can form crusts that block sinus drainage and trap viruses and other particles. Increasing humidity and getting more fluid into your body can help your mucus thin out and get moving again, says Dr. Das. Some natural ways to get your sinuses draining and relieve sinus pressure include drinking plenty of fluids using a humidifier avoiding cold, dry air taking plenty of steamy showers and drinking a cup of hot tea or soup.
How To Treat A Sinus Infection At Home
You can effectively treat sinus infections at home with over-the-counter medicines or one or more home remedies.
Dethlefs recommends, Drink plenty of water, use Vicks vapor rub on chest and bottoms of feet, rest and sleep and humidifier. One thing I like to do when my family is sick is boil water on the stove and melt Vicks vapor rub in it. Then pour solution in ice cube trays and freeze. Add 1-2 ice cubs to bottom of shower.
OTC medicines that may improve symptoms of a sinus infection include:
- Nasal decongestant sprays help reduce swelling in the nasal passages to promote drainage flow from the sinuses. This sinus infection treatment should only be used for three to four days to reduce the risk of rebound congestion.
- Nasal corticosteroid sprays help reduce swelling and inflammation in the nasal passages without causing rebound congestion.
- Antihistamines remain particularly helpful for those whose nasal passages become inflamed and swollen due to seasonal allergies.
- Nasal saline washes and rinses help clear mucus from the nasal passages to promote easier breathing.
Your doctor may also prescribe antibiotics if OTC medicines fail to relieve your symptoms within seven to 10 days. Antibiotics are usually only prescribed as a last-resort treatment for sinus infections due to the risk of overuse, which may lead to other difficult-to-treat infections.
Home remedies for sinus infection include:
Read Also: Do You Sneeze With Sinus Infection
Before Taking This Medicine
Naproxen can increase your risk of fatal heart attack or stroke, even if you don’t have any risk factors. Do not use this medicine just before or after heart bypass surgery .
Naproxen may also cause stomach or intestinal bleeding, which can be fatal. These conditions can occur without warning while you are using naproxen, especially in older adults.
Do not use Aleve Sinus & Headache if you have used an MAO inhibitor in the past 14 days. A dangerous drug interaction could occur. MAO inhibitors include isocarboxazid, linezolid, methylene blue injection, phenelzine, tranylcypromine, and others.
Ask a doctor or pharmacist if this medicine is safe to use if you have:
liver or kidney disease or
if you drink 3 or more alcoholic drinks per day.
Do not use Aleve Sinus & Headache during pregnancy unless your doctor tells you to. Using an NSAID in the last 20 weeks can harm the unborn baby or cause pregnancy complications.
Ask a doctor before using this medicine if you are breastfeeding.
Not approved for use by anyone younger than 12 years old.
How Should I Take Aleve Sinus & Headache
Use exactly as directed on the label, or as prescribed by your doctor. Use the lowest dose that is effective in treating your condition.
Swallow the tablet whole and do not crush, chew, or break it.
Take Aleve Sinus & Headache with a full glass of water.
Take with food or milk if this medicine upsets your stomach.
If you need to have any type of surgery, tell the surgeon ahead of time if you have taken this medicine within the past few days.
Store at room temperature away from moisture and heat.
Recommended Reading: If You Have A Sinus Infection Do You Need Antibiotics
Who Can And Cant Take Aleve
Aleve can be taken by adults.
Aleve relieves pain and reduces inflammation that may occur in the following:
- different types of arthritis including rheumatoid arthritis, osteoarthritis and ankylosing spondylitis
- muscle and bone injuries such as sprains, strains, low back pain , rheumatism and tendonitis, such as tennis elbow
- swelling and pain after setting broken or dislocated bones
- menstrual cramps
Although Aleve can relieve the symptoms of pain and inflammation, it will not cure your condition.
Aleve belongs to a group of medicines called Non-Steroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drugs .
Ask your doctor if you have any questions about why this medicine has been prescribed for you.
Your doctor may have prescribed it for another reason.
It can also be taken under medical supervision by children to treat:
- muscle and bone disorders for babies from 1 month
- diseases of the joints for children from 2 years
- period pain for girls of any age
Aleve isnt suitable for certain people. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you:
Start Ada Symptom Checker
Ada Health is to be used for educational purposes only. It is not intended to diagnose or treat medical conditions. It is recommended you consult your healthcare provider regarding your symptom assessment outcome. If your condition does not improve or worsens, consult your physician right away.
Don’t Miss: How Long A Sinus Infection Last
Cautions With Other Medicines
Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you are taking any other medicines, including any that you get without a prescription from your pharmacy, supermarket, health food shop, naturopath or herbalist.
There are some medicines that interfere with the way Aleve works. Tell your doctor if youre taking:
- other anti-inflammatory medicines, such as aspirin or ibuprofen
- medicines that thin the blood to prevent blood clots, such as warfarin or rivaroxaban
- heparin, a medicine used to prevent blood clots
- steroids, such as prednisolone
- some medicines used to treat diabetes
- sodium bicarbonate, a medicine used to treat stomach upset or ulcers
- steroids, medicines used to treat inflammation
- serotonin reuptake inhibitors, also known as SSRIs, medicines used to treat some types of depression
- zidovudine, a medicine used to treat HIV infection.
Tell your doctor and pharmacist if youre taking any other medicines, including herbal remedies, vitamins or supplements.
These medicines may be affected by Aleve or may affect how well it works. You may need different amounts of your medicines, or you may need to take different medicines.
Your doctor has more information on medicines to be careful with or avoid while being given this medicine.
Ask your doctor or pharmacist if you are not sure about this list of medicines.
Can you take ibuprofen with aleve
Can you take tylenol with aleve
Tylenol contains the active ingredient acetaminophen that works differently to Aleve .
How Do I Store And/or Throw Out Aleve
- Store at room temperature.
- Store in a dry place. Do not store in a bathroom.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Throw away unused or expired drugs. Do not flush down a toilet or pour down a drain unless you are told to do so. Check with your pharmacist if you have questions about the best way to throw out drugs. There may be drug take-back programs in your area.
Advil Sinus Congestion & Pain
Advil Sinus Congestion & Pain combines the speed and strength of Advil and a proven nasal decongestant for fast, effective relief of sinus pressure and congestion associated with colds. Though mucus can contribute to the stuffed up feeling, nasal congestion is the swelling of the tissues in the nose and sinuses caused by inflammation. Advil Sinus Congestion & Pain re-opens your airways by constricting the blood vessels in your nose and sinuses.
Advil Sinus Congestion & Pain also treats the pain associated with colds. The philosophy behind Advil Sinus Congestion & Pain is that cold-sufferers who treat only nasal congestion or the pain associated with it really only address half the problem. Both pain and congestion are major symptoms of colds so it just makes sense to treat them both with just one tablet. Get fast, powerful relief with Advil Sinus Congestion & Pain.
Featured on Prevention.com in 11 Cold Medicines That Will Make You Feel Less Miserable. Read the full article.
Temporarily relieves these symptoms associated with the common cold or flu:
What Do I Need To Tell My Doctor Before I Take Aleve
- If you have an allergy to pseudoephedrine, naproxen, or any other part of Aleve-D Sinus & Headache .
- If you are allergic to Aleve-D Sinus & Headache any part of Aleve-D Sinus & Headache or any other drugs, foods, or substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had.
- If you have taken certain drugs for depression or Parkinson’s disease in the last 14 days. This includes isocarboxazid, phenelzine,tranylcypromine, selegiline, or rasagiline. Very high blood pressure may happen.
- If you are taking any other NSAID.
- If you are pregnant or may be pregnant. Do not take Aleve-D Sinus & Headache if you are in the third trimester of pregnancy. You may also need to avoid Aleve-D Sinus & Headache at other times during pregnancy. Talk with your doctor to see when you need to avoid taking Aleve-D Sinus & Headache during pregnancy.
- If your child is younger than 12 years of age. Do not give Aleve-D Sinus & Headache to a child younger than 12 years of age.
This is not a list of all drugs or health problems that interact with Aleve-D Sinus & Headache .
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take Aleve-D Sinus & Headache with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
Don’t Miss: How Much Does Sinus Surgery Cost
When You Must Not Be Given Aleve
Do NOT take Aleve if you have an allergy to:
- Aleve or any of the ingredients listed on the medicine leaflet
- aspirin or any other non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug medicine.
Many medicines used to treat headache, period pain and other aches and pains contain aspirin or non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug medicines. If you are not sure if you are taking any of these medicines, ask your pharmacist.
Some of the symptoms of an allergic reaction may include:
- asthma, wheezing or shortness of breath
- swelling of the face, lips or tongue which may cause difficulty in swallowing or breathing
- hives, itching or skin rash
If you are allergic to aspirin or non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug medicines and take Aleve Suspension, these symptoms may be severe.
Do NOT take Aleve if:
- you are vomiting blood or material that looks like coffee grounds
- you are bleeding from the rectum , have black sticky bowel motions or bloody diarrhoea
- you have a peptic ulcer , or have had peptic ulcers before
- you are taking other medicines which contain Naproxen or Naproxen Sodium
- you have severe heart failure.
Read Also: Can You Drink On Sinus Infection Antibiotics
What It Is Used For
For the temporary relief of pain and/or inflammation associated with headache, tension headache, sinus pain, dental pain, backache, muscular aches and pains, sprains and strains, arthritis, osteoarthritis, rheumatic pain, menstruation/ period pain, colds& flu. Analgesic for migraine headache. Reduces fever.
Read Also: Can A Sinus Infection Make Your Body Ache
What Are Sinus Headaches
Real sinus headaches are almost always from a sinus infection. Sinus infections are common with 10% to 30% of the population experiencing at least one sinus infection each year.
Sinus infections are also known as sinusitis or rhinosinusitis. This occurs when the sinus becomes inflamed. Common symptoms include thick nasal mucous, blocked nose and facial pain. Sinus infections may be caused by an infection, allergy or air pollution. Most cases are due to viral infection. Infections are often transmitted through coughing, sneezing, kissing, contact with contaminated surfaces, food or water or contact with infected animals or pets.
To understand how sinus headaches are confused with migraine its important to know what migraine is.
Read Also: If Sinus Infection Is Left Untreated
If You Are An Adult Over 60
Also Check: Do I Need Antibiotics For Sinus Infection
How Much Does Aleve
The typical counter cost of Aleve-D Sinus & Headache without health insurance is $13.32 per 2, 10 Tablets Extended Release 12 Hour Tablet Extended Release 12 Hour though you can save money using a SingleCare Aleve-D Sinus & Headache coupon to pay only $4.08 for 2.5, 16 Tablets Extended Release 12 Hour Box of generic Aleve-D Sinus & Headache. If you dont have access to an insurance plan can always use SingleCare for free Aleve-D Sinus & Headache offers. You can also save money on Aleve-D Sinus & Headache by requesting the generic form of Aleve-D Sinus & Headache if there is a generic option on the market, Pseudoephedrine-Naproxen Sodium, which costs significantly less than Aleve-D Sinus & Headache.
How Can I Prevent Sinusitis
Some of the home remedies used to treat sinus infections symptoms may help prevent sinusitis. These include rinsing your nose out with salt water and using medications that your provider might suggest, such as allergy medications or steroid nasal sprays.
You should avoid things you are allergic to, like dust, pollen or smoke, and try to avoid sick people. Wash your hands to reduce your chance of getting a cold or flu.
Read Also: Do Antibiotics Work On Sinus Infections
Recommended Reading: What Does Advil Cold And Sinus Do
How And When To Take Aleve
Always take your Aleve tablets with or just after a meal so you dont get an upset stomach.
As a general rule in adults, the dose to treat:
- diseases of joints is 500mg to 1000mg a day in 1 or 2 doses
- muscle, bone disorders and painful periods is 500mg at first, then 250mg every 6 to 8 hours as required
- attacks of gout is 750mg, then 250mg every 8 hours until the attack has passed
Do NOT take more than 3 tablets in 24 hours.
Doses are usually lower for elderly people and people with heart, liver or kidney problems.
The doctor will use your childs weight to work out the right dose.
If you get Aleve on prescription, the dose depends on the reason why youre taking it, your age, how well your liver and kidneys work, and how well it helps your symptoms.
If you buy Aleve from a pharmacy for painful menstrual periods:
- on the first day take 2 tablets when the pain starts, then after 6 to 8 hours one more tablet that day if you need to
- on the second and following days take one tablet every 6 to 8 hours if needed
How to take Aleve
Use Aleve exactly as directed on the label, or as prescribed by your doctor. Do not take this medicine in larger amounts or for longer than recommended. Use the lowest dose that is effective in treating your condition.
Aleve on prescription comes as 2 different tablets effervescent and gastro-resistant tablets.
Effervescent tablets are dissolved in water before you take them.
What if I forget to take it?
What if I take too much?