Can You Take Sinus Decongestants If You Have High Blood Pressure
Phenylephrine is not considered to be safe if you have high blood pressure. Sinus decongestants that contain pseudoephedrine may actually raise your blood pressure and counteract the blood pressure medication that youre on. If you have high blood pressure, you should speak with your doctor about which decongestant they recommend for you.
Who Can Use Steroid Nasal Sprays
Most people can use steroid nasal sprays.
Ask a pharmacist or doctor for advice before using one if you:
- have had an allergic reaction to steroids in the past
- have recently had surgery on your nose
- have tuberculosis or an infection in your nose
- are having, or have recently had, treatment with steroid tablets or steroid injections into your blood
- are looking for a nasal spray for your child
- are pregnant, breastfeeding or trying for a baby
Steroid nasal sprays are normally safe to use while breastfeeding and during pregnancy, but it’s a good idea to get medical advice first.
Flonase Vs Nasacort: Whats The Difference
Experts say that over-the-counter anti-inflammatory nasal sprayssuch as FLONASE nasal sprays or Nasacort® 24 Hourare the most effective form of nasal allergy symptom relief.i But how do you know which OTC nasal spray is right for you? Heres a look at how these nasal sprays work and what sets them apart.
Don’t Miss: Nose Spray For Dry Sinus
Which Types Of Doctors Treat Sinusitis And Sinus Infections
- Many sinus infections can be treated by your primary care physician or an Internal Medicine doctor.
- However, it is not unusual to consult an ENT specialist, infectious disease specialist, or an allergist or immunologist.
- With some complex sinus infections, a surgeon who specializes in sinus surgery may be necessary to consult.
Dont Miss: What Antibiotics Does Publix Offer For Free
Natural Treatment For Sinus Infection #1 Probiotics
According to Chinese medicine, sinus infections andseasonal allergies are almost always related to gut and intestinal problems.This makes sense as 80% of your immune system is actually located in yourdigestive system. When you have an overgrowth of bad bacteria in the stomachand colon, your immune system cannot function properly or fight off any foreigninvaders. The bad bacteria also take over and thrive in unlikely places such asyour nasal passages, causing both acute and chronic sinus infections.
If youhave a sinus infection and/or any of the accompanying health problems we listedearlier, you will very likely have a toxic overload of bad bacteria in yourbody. So to kill off these nasty little creatures you need plenty of goodbacteria . The way it works is the friendly bacteria basically runthe bad guys out of town then take up residence themselves which is a goodthing of course!
In addition to this, certain probiotics produce hydrogen peroxide as a natural by-product. And hydrogen peroxide is a powerful bacterial killer and excellent remedy for sinus infections! .
Best Ways to Get Your Probiotics
Don’t Miss: How To Treat Severe Sinus Headache
What You Should Know
There are basically 3 types of nasal sprays ones that stop noses from running, ones that un-stuff them, and ones that clean and soothe them. Regardless of which issue you need to address, be sure not to use any product longer or more often than the manufacturer recommends since overuse can cause these medications to lose their effectiveness and may even worsen symptoms.
You should always choose the nasal spray with the least possible medication that will still be effective, especially if you are pregnant or nursing. Be cautious, as well, about using these products for children. Most over the counter nasal sprays are formulated for adults. If you need a product for a child, find one specifically designed for them.
Youll also want to be careful when selecting a nasal spray if you are on medications for high blood pressure, a heart condition or diabetes as they might not mix well with some nasal spray ingredients.
How Is This Medicine Best Taken
Use Bactroban Nasal as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- Keep using Bactroban Nasal as you have been told by your doctor or other health care provider, even if you feel well.
- Do not take Bactroban Nasal by mouth. Use in your nose only. Keep out of your mouth and eyes .
- If you get Bactroban Nasal in any of these areas, rinse well with water.
- Wash your hands before and after use.
- For single use nose ointment, place 1/2 the ointment from the tube into one nostril and the other 1/2 into the other nostril. Press the nostrils at the same time and let go many times to spread the ointment into the nose.
- Throw away the tube after using. Do not reuse.
- Do not use Bactroban Nasal with other nose products.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- Put on a missed dose as soon as you think about it.
- If it is close to the time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your normal time.
- Do not put on 2 doses at the same time or extra doses.
Read Also: Will Cephalexin Treat A Sinus Infection
Other Issues With Decongestant Nasal Sprays
In addition, sometimes people abuse pseudoephedrine by using it to make an illegal recreational drug, methamphetamine, according to information from the American Academy of Family Physicians.
For this reason, some states may require a doctors prescription for these products. In others, pharmacies may keep products containing this chemical behind the counter, even though they do not need a prescription.
There may also be a limit on how much you can buy each month, and individuals may have to show ID or give personal details when they buy this type of decongestant.
A nasal spray is often the first choice for mild congestion due to allergies and colds. A saline nasal spray is drug-free and is generally safe.
Another option is to use a neti pot. These are an effective way to flush mucus and allergens out of the nose.
However, the United States Food and Drug Administration have expressed concern about their use. They warn people to use neti pots with sterilized water and to clean them properly to avoid some rare but dangerous infections.
Another option is over-the-counter decongestant and allergy pills. It is important to use these medications as instructed on the label.
People should also ask a pediatrician before giving any medication to young children.
Best For Itchy Eyes: Fluticare Cvs Nasal Spray
If you often find yourself confused about the appropriate and satisfactory spray, fluticare CVS nasalspray is your solution. The Fluticare Cvs Nasal Spray provides 50 micrograms of fluticasone propionate, a nasal corticosteroid that temporarily relieves seasonal and perennial nasal allergy symptoms. Each fluticare bottle contains 120 metered sprays. The most effective medication class for controlling symptoms of allergic rhinitis.
Most importantly, the fluticare cvs nasal spray works amazing, It is very effective and has a simple design.
Almost all customers found that the spray is cheaper than flonase with the exact same formula. Moreover, a few say that the spray is time to try something different. Further, a few say that this nose spray does give all day releif. Overall, most buyers agree that the spray suits them best, and no one questions it.
Top Customer Quotes:
Dont Miss: Migraines Caused By Sinus Problems
Recommended Reading: Things That Help With Sinus Pressure
Natural Remedies For Sinus Congestion
When youâre feeling stuffed up and miserable, getting to the drugstore seems almost impossible. Fortunately for you, there are a number of home remedies for sinus congestion relief, hereâs three:
1. Humidity:Keeping your nasal passages moist when youâre experiencing sinus congestion may help to relieve that âstuffyâ feeling. To do this, apply a warm, wet towel against your face or run hot water in the shower to unblock the sinuses. You could also use a humidifier for the same purpose.
2. Neti pot: A neti pot looks like a miniature teapot with a long spout. With the help of saline or a saltwater solution, these tiny nasal irrigation devices are used to treat congested sinuses, allergies, and the common cold. You can purchase a neti pot online or at your nearest health food or drugstore. Note of caution: Tap water isnât safe to use as itâs not filtered or treated and may contain material that could cause infection or irritation.
3. Aromatherapy: Aromatherapy is a holistic healing treatment that uses essential oils to reduce pain or improve sleep. While thereâs still research that needs to be done, some studies suggest specific essential oils may relieve symptoms of sinus congestion. According to the National Association for Holistic Aromatherapy , 1,8 cineole, the main component of eucalyptus oil, has been proven to clear airways of mucus and is a natural cough suppressant.
How To Use The Spray
Fluticasone nasal spray needs to be used regularly for it to work.
Youll generally use the spray once or twice a day . The usual dose is 1 or 2 sprays into each nostril.
Follow the instructions that come with your nasal spray. Do not use more than the maximum number of sprays in 24 hours.
If youre using a new bottle, it may not work the first time. Pump the spray a few times until a fine mist comes out. Youll also need to do this if you have not used the bottle for a few days.
Remove the cap and gently shake the bottle.
Repeat the process with the other nostril if you need it.
After using the spray, wipe the nozzle with a clean tissue and replace the cap.
Don’t Miss: Z Pack Instructions For Sinus Infection
What Is High Blood Pressure
Like any fluid, blood exerts pressure on its container as it flows through it. Of course, in the case of blood, that container is made up of your blood vessels. Your arteries, veins, and capillaries are placed under two types of pressure while in use. The first is called systolic pressure and occurs when blood is pumped out of the heart and into the arteries. The second is called diastolic pressure and occurs when the heart rests between beats.
If you’ve had a blood pressure reading, you may already be familiar with the terms systolic and diastolic they are the upper and lower numbers of a blood pressure reading, respectively. A normal blood pressure reading is 120/80. There’s a little leeway for systolic pressure, but any reading over 130/80 is considered hypertension.
Hypertension is bad because a heart pushing at a higher than normal pressure is working harder. Over time, increased pressure on delicate arteries causes damage. That damaged tissue presents bad cholesterol with the opportunity it needs to form plaque² along the damaged arterial walls. And as plaque builds up, your arteries narrow, which increases blood pressure. Hence, a cycle has developed that continually worsens the condition.
Uses For Nasal Steroid Sprays Include:
- To treat the nasal symptoms of seasonal and year-round allergic rhinitis in adults and children
- To treat nasal congestion that happens with seasonal allergic rhinitis in adults and children
- To prevent nasal symptoms of seasonal allergic rhinitis
- To treat nasal polyps
- Use Rhinocort / Beconase / Nasonex / Flixonase
- One spray per nostril each morning as directed
- You may benefit from using saline nasal spray to irrigate the nose
Read Also: Aspire Allergy And Sinus Orlando
How To Use Nasal Spray
You should always refer to the directions on the packaging of your nasal spray, as there may be small variations between brands. However, in general, there are some basic steps that apply in most cases. First, you should always clear your nasal passages by gently blowing your nose. If indicated in the product directions, gently shake your nasal spray bottle before removing the cap. Holding the bottle in one hand, place the top of the nozzle just inside one nostril . Angle the tip slightly toward the outer wall of your nose, not the center. Depress the mechanism that releases the spray and sniff gently to draw the medication into your nose. Repeat as needed according to the dosage directions on the product packaging. If you have any questions or concerns, or if you experience any side effects of nasal spray, such as nosebleeds or headaches, you should stop use and contact your doctor for advice.
Product Quest Manufacturing Llc Issues Voluntary Nationwide Recall Of Cvs Health 12 Hour Sinus Relief Nasal Mist Due To Microbiological Contamination
When a Government Agency Partner announces a companys recall, market withdrawal, or safety alert, the FDA posts the Government Agency Partners announcement as a public service. FDA does not endorse either the product or the company.
- Product Quest Manufacturing
Read Also: How Often Take Advil Cold And Sinus
Don’t Miss: What’s The Best Medication For Sinus Infection
Remedies And Treatments For Sinus Infection Pain
There are several effective home remedies and treatments for sinus infection pain. Many remedies are available over the counter at a low cost.
Common sinus infection treatments include:
If your sinuses are blocked, it can help to moisten your sinus cavities by inhaling steam. Doing so loosens the blocked mucus and allows it to drain. Try draping a towel over your head as you breathe in the vapor from a bowl of hot water. Alternatively, you can take a hot shower or bath, breathing in the warm, moist air.
This home remedy, called nasal lavage, can help clear your sinuses. Nasal irrigation can clear sinus drainage from the nose to make it easier to breathe. It also thins the mucus in your nose, reduces inflammation, and washes away irritants in the nasal passages.
Saline rinses require sterile water, which can be either boiled or purchased. To avoid introducing additional bacteria to the nasal passages, keep your Neti Pot clean between uses.
Nasal Corticosteroid Sprays
Nasal corticosteroid sprays help prevent and treat inflammation and excess mucus in the nasal passages. They also treat polyps .
Nonsteroidal Anti-inflammatory Drugs
Alternatives To Saline Nasal Spray
Saline nasal sprays may not be enough to relieve nasal congestion. You may need other treatments, particularly if your nasal passages are completely shut and you are forced to mouth-breathe.
One such example is an age-old home remedy known as a neti pot. This is simply a pot with a spout through which you can pour salt water into your nostrils. The process itself is referred to as nasal irrigation. Neti pots can be found online and in most larger retail drugstores.
There are also medicated nasal sprays, both over-the-counter and prescription, that you can use to treat certain nasal conditions:
- Antihistamine nasal sprays treat nasal allergy symptoms by blocking the action of an allergy-causing substance known as histamine.
- contain ingredients that help open blocked nasal passages.
- Steroid nasal sprays treat a wide range of allergic and non-allergic conditions, including nasal polyps, by reducing inflammation.
- Cromolyn nasal sprays treat nasal allergy symptoms by preventing the release of histamine from white blood cells known as mast cells.
The overuse of decongestant nasal sprays can lead to rebound congestion in which your nasal congestion gets worse rather than better. For this reason, decongestant nasal sprays should not be used for longer than three days.
Recommended Reading: Can You Catch A Sinus Infection From Someone
How And When To Use Steroid Nasal Sprays
Steroid nasal sprays can be used as a long-term treatment or just when they’re needed.
For hay fever, it’s best to use them from 1 to 2 weeks before you think your symptoms will start, as they can take a few days to work.
The leaflet that comes with your spray should explain how to use it and how often. Ask a pharmacist or doctor if you’re not sure.
It’s important to use your spray regularly, even if you’re feeling better. It will only help if it’s used every day.
What To Look For When Buying Otc Sinus Decongestants
When youre figuring out which decongestant to buy, youll need to determine whats causing your congestion. If its allergies, youll probably want a product that contains an antihistamine ingredient like diphenhydramine.
If you have cold or flu symptoms, you may be looking for a product that includes phenylephrine or pseudoephedrine. Some OTC sinus decongestant formulas include both antihistamines and decongestant ingredients, and some add in pain relief ingredients such as ibuprofen to their formula. Treat for symptoms that you have, not for additional symptoms that you dont have.
Also Check: Does Prednisone Treat Sinus Infections
You May Like: Medicine For Severe Sinus Headache
What Are Some Ways To Relieve Nasal Congestion
Nasal congestion due to a cold or sinus infection is uncomfortable and can get in the way of a good nights sleep. CVS offers a variety of treatments that can help keep you comfortable, including nasal spray and nasal congestion medicine from top brands like Afrin, Mucinex, and more. Many people may find relief with a decongestant nasal spray, which works directly on nasal membranes and may bring relief faster than a pill formulation. However, if you are looking to treat multiple symptoms that come with a cold or the flu, you may want to try a combination pill such as Advil Sinus Congestion and Pain, which is formulated with more than one active ingredient in order to temporarily reduce multiple symptoms such as congestion, body aches, and fever. Be aware that nasal congestion medicine may interact with certain prescription drugs, so check with your doctor or pharmacist before taking any nasal congestion medication or using a decongestant nasal spray.