Common Questions About Sinus Headaches
How can you tell the difference between a sinus headache and a migraine?
A few things to look out for with a sinus headache include yellow mucus drainage, bad breath and a fever. A migraine would more likely lead to clear nasal drainage, nausea, plus sensitivity to light.
Can you have a sinus headache without congestion?
If you are not congested, it is unlikely that you have a sinus headache. A buildup of mucus in the sinuses is a primary cause of a sinus headache, so you should expect to feel congested.
Sinus Headache Relief Is Available
If you or your child suffer from sinus headaches, Chacko Allergy, Asthma and Sinus Center is here to diagnose the problem and offer the solutions you are most comfortable with.
Ear Pressure Causes And Treatments
Keith Alexander, MD is board-certified in Otolaryngology. He provides services in adult and pediatric ear, nose and throat disorders, and treats allergy and sinus patients of all ages. He specializes in functional and cosmetic nasal surgery, including rhinoplasty. Dr. Alexander can be reached at 278-1114.
Lexington Clinic is Central Kentuckys largest and oldest medical group. With 180+ providers in more than 30 specialties, we have been taking care of 600,000+ visits annually in the Lexington community since 1920.
1221 South Broadway
Which Sinus Headache Medicine Should I Use
If you notice pain or pressure behind your eyes around your sinuses, you may be suffering from a sinus headache. Frequent sinus headaches are certainly a cause for concern, and if you find yourself constantly congested, you should visit an ENT to discover the real root of the problem.
However, in the meantime, you can turn to over-the-counter drugs for a bit of temporary relief. Below, well discuss the three common types of sinus headache medicine and how they can help.
Recommended Reading: Which Antibiotics Treat Sinus Infection
How To Cure Chronic Sinusitis And Sinus Headaches Permanently
Chronic sinusitis and sinus headaches can have a significant impact on your health and wellbeing. It can be difficult to get on with your usual routine when youre in pain or suffering from serious congestion. You can also feel very upset and hopeless when it seems that the problem keeps coming back. What can you do to cure sinus problems permanently?
How Is Sinusitis Diagnosed
Symptoms of sinusitis mimic a cold in the early stages and diagnosis can be difficult. However, sinusitis tends to persist long after cold symptoms have resolved and symptoms can last for three weeks or more. Sinus infections are also more likely to cause symptoms such as facial or tooth pain, green nasal discharge, and fever.
Your doctor will ask you about your symptoms and any history of illness leading up to this episode of sinusitis. The doctor will also perform a simple office examination and look into your ears, nose and throat, and take your temperature.
Other examinations or procedures may be undertaken to rule out other conditions or if the diagnosis is uncertain.
You May Like: How To Prevent Sinus Migraines
Can A Sinus Headache Be Prevented
- Good handwashing and hygienic practices can help prevent colds and upper respiratory infections.
- Smoking cessation can also decrease your risk of airway infections.
- For people with allergies, avoid allergic triggers to help prevent sinus infections.
- Keep the body well hydrated and humidify the air since these can help promote efficient drainage of fluids from the sinuses.
Over The Counter Painkillers
Taking painkillers might not tackle the cause of your sinus headache, but it will give you temporary pain relief. Over-the-counter painkillers are an easy solution because they are readily available and effective. Medications such as acetaminophen and ibuprofen can give you the pain relief that you need. Make sure to use them according to the label so that you can ensure youâre using them safely.
Also Check: How Do You Get S Sinus Infection
Don’t Miss: Peppermint Oil For Sinus Relief
Irrigate To Relieve Sinus Pressure
Salt water irrigation is the best way to cleanse the nose and sinuses this can help prevent or relieve sinus pain. You can use an over-the-counter saline nasal spray, but I recommend using a sinus rinse bottle, neti pot, or bulb syringe irrigation kit that you can get at the drugstore, advises Das.
Try this commonly-used, easy-to-make nasal irrigation solution with your own sinus irrigation kit: Fill a clean 8-ounce glass with distilled or sterilized lukewarm water. Do not use tap water unless it has been boiled for at least 1 minute . Add 1/2 teaspoon of non-iodized salt and a pinch of baking soda. And be sure to clean all equipment and make a fresh batch of solution each time you use your kit.
Sinus & Allergy Fast Acting Nasal Congestion Relief Spray Mucinex Sinus Max
- Long lasting: lasts up to 12 hours, through the day or night..
- Uses: temporarily relieves nasal congestion due to a cold, hay fever or other upper respiratory allergies.
- Also available from mucinex: mucinex sinus-max clear & cool nasal spray for severe nasal congestion relief..
- Key benefits: fast acting relief that lasts for up to 12 hours, non-drowsy and nasal congestion relief due to upper respiratory allergies or hay fever..
- What is it: this nasal spray provides targeted nasal congestion relief due to upper respiratory allergies or hay fever.
Don’t Miss: Aleve Cold And Sinus Medicine
Treatment Options For Sinusitis
Most of the treatment options for sinusitis and sinus headaches are intended to give temporary relief from the symptoms when they occur:
- Mediation to reduce the inflammation
- Using a humidifier or nasal spray
- Drinking plenty of fluids
Although these treatments can help, they arent always effective for chronic sinusitis and they wont prevent your symptoms from coming back. If you often suffer from sinus infections or sinus headaches, you might be looking for a more permanent treatment.
Permanent cures for chronic sinusitis and sinus headaches are sometimes possible, but it can depend on the reasons why you are affected.
- If your sinusitis is linked to allergies, then you can try allergy testing to find out the cause and then take steps to avoid the trigger. Although this wont always be enough to prevent your symptoms from coming back, it can make a big difference.
- If your symptoms are linked to infections, then simple steps such as washing hands regularly and getting a flu shot can reduce the chances youll be affected again.
- If there is a physical reason why you are more susceptible to sinusitis, it may be possible to correct it surgically and prevent sinus problems in the future.
Afrin No Drip Severe Congestion Pump Nasal Mist Twin Pack 050 Fluid Ounce
- Covered by bayer healthcare llc-consumer health 60-day satisfaction guarantee..
- Doesnt cause drowsiness.
- From the #1 pharmacist recommended brand among oral otc decongestants, this non-drowsy decongestant can be used by adults and children 12 years and older for fast, powerful relief.
- Each coated tablet contains 10 milligrams of phenylephrine hcl, a nasal decongestant that provides non-drowsy symptom relief.
- 36-count of sudafed pe sinus congestion maximum strength non-drowsy tablets for fast, powerful relief of sinus pressure and sinus and nasal congestion.
- This sinus congestion & pressure relief medicine also helps reduce nasal swelling to help you breathe easier, and can be taken every 4 hours as necessary for effective relief of cold and allergy symptoms.
- The maximum strength formula helps clear sinus congestion and relieve sinus pressure due to the common cold, hay fever or other upper respiratory allergies.
You May Like: When Should You Go To The Doctor For Sinus Infection
Read Also: Sinus Headache And Congestion Relief
How Is A Sinus Headache Diagnosed
A sinus headache can sometimes be confused with a migraine or tension headache. If youve recently had a cold, allergies, or other symptoms that are usually associated with sinusitis that can indicate that your pain may be from a sinus headache. But if pain is your only symptom, its probably not a sinus headache.
If an underlying issue is causing your sinusitis and sinus headaches, your doctor may recommend more testing. For example, if allergies are causing your issues, allergy testing may be recommended.
The 5 Best Allergy Medicine
- A very effective nasal spray that doesnt affect your adrenal system. A powerful water-based formula, free of alcohol and scent anti-allergy.
Price when Reviewed: $8.99
One of the best and most effective reliefs that you can find in the market. It is a proven and tested 24-hour allergy relief product that can ease nasal congestion, sneezing, runny nose and itchy nose. It is perfect for regular usage because it is scent free and alcohol-free. You wont need to worry because as compared to other allergy relief products, there are no particular drowsiness side effects with this medicine. Its anti-inflammatory effect is very impressive. This medicine is also nonaddictive. Within 24 hours, you will immediately feel its great effects.
- Best Oral Antihistamine Strong results with limited site effects
Price when Reviewed: $20.25
This proven and tested tablets can instantly relief nasal congestion, sneezing, runny nose, and itchy nose. You will notice relief in just an hour. A very cost effective med. In terms of effects, you can never go wrong with Allegra.
- An Allergy Spray that is suitable for pregnant woman
Price when Reviewed: $18.64
- Good Reviews from customers and best seller on Amazon. Proven to work but FLONASE might cause irritation in your nose
Price when Reviewed: $18.33
Read Also: Can A Bad Tooth Cause A Sinus Infection
When Should I Seek Medical A Care For A Sinus Headache
- Sinus headaches and infections may sometimes be successfully treated at home .
- However, you should seek medical care if you are not sure what is causing your symptoms or if you have signs of a severe infection including high fever, symptoms that do not resolve with time, or if over-the-counter pain relievers are not effective in controlling the pain.
- You should also seek care if you notice swelling in the face that accompanies the pain, swelling around your eye or changes in vision, since this could be a sign of an abscess.
Treatment For Sinusitis From A Gp
If you have sinusitis, a GP may be able to recommend other medicines to help with your symptoms, such as:
- steroid nasal sprays or drops â to reduce the swelling in your sinuses
- antihistamines â if an allergy is causing your symptoms
- antibiotics â if a bacterial infection is causing your symptoms and you’re very unwell or at risk of complications
You might need to take steroid nasal sprays or drops for a few months. They sometimes cause irritation, sore throats or nosebleeds.
A GP may refer you to an ear, nose and throat specialist if, for example, you:
- still have sinusitis after 3 months of treatment
- keep getting sinusitis
- only have symptoms on 1 side of your face
They may also recommend surgery in some cases.
Don’t Miss: Should You Take Antibiotics For Sinus Infection
What Are Sinuses And Sinus Headaches
Sinuses are air-filled cavities located in the forehead, cheekbones, and behind the bridge of the nose. The sinuses produce a thin mucus that drains out of the channels of the nose. When a sinus becomes inflamed, usually as the result of allergies or an infection, the inflammation will prevent the outflow of mucus and cause a pain similar to that of a headache.
Hum Your Way To Sinus Pain Relief
“Some people report that humming for one hour improves sinus pain,” says Das. Researchers in Sweden have found that humming can keep your sinuses clear. How could that be possible? Humming may increase both airflow through your sinuses and the level of nitric oxide in your sinuses. The combination of nitric oxide and airflow may reduce your risk of sinusitis. So if you have a common cold or allergies, want to prevent a sinus infection, and know a happy tune that you don’t mind hearing for an hour, you may want to try a little humming.
Also Check: Most Effective Antibiotic For Sinus Infection
What Can I Do About Recurring Sinus Headaches
Many sinus headaches, especially those that recur, are actually migraines. But its smart to see your healthcare provider to figure out the cause of your headaches.
You may find that the best long-term solution is figuring out what triggers your migraine headaches so you can avoid them. Its helpful to keep a headache diary to track potential triggers. Triggers you can control include:
- Specific foods, such as chocolate, red wine or strong cheese.
Know The Limits Of Natural Sinus Pain Relief
You should not try to self-treat your sinus pain if you have symptoms such as as yellow or green mucus discharge persistent fever or stiff neck pain for more than 24 hours confusion, weakness, numbness, or tingling and persistent nausea or vomiting. These symptoms could be a sign of a significant infection in your sinuses that might need antibiotics. “Using natural sinus pain relief is fine if you have mild chronic pain or a headache related to a common cold or an allergy, but if you have severe pain that is not responding to these techniques, you need to see your doctor,” advises Das.
Also Check: Sinus Drainage That Smells Bad
How To Treat A Sinus Headache
The best way to get rid of a sinus headache is by treating the underlying cause of the headachethe sinusitis. For sinus problems lasting less than 7-10 days, the cause is usually viral and can be treated with home remedies and if needed, over-the-counter medications. Here are some at-home remedies that may relieve your symptoms:
- Hydrate and rest: Drink ample fluids and rest.
- Breathing steam: Warm moist air by using a humidifier, breathing in warm mist from a hot shower or steaming bath, or applying a warm washcloth over your face.
- Saline nasal flushes: Using a bottle sprayer, Neti pot, or syringe, the saline fluid flushes out the nose and sinus cavities to help with sinus pressure and congestion. Be sure to use sterile saline water for safety reasons.
In addition to those at-home treatments, you may also require:
- Over-the-counter medications: Medications such as ibuprofen , naprosyn , and acetaminophen can lessen pain and inflammation. Please be cautious with these medications if you have liver, kidney, or blood pressure issues, or are on blood thinners.
- Doctors visit: If the sinus problems still have not gone away after 7-10 days , it may be a sign of bacteria causing your sinus infection, and you should see your doctor who may recommend an antibiotic.
Where Can I Find The Best Sinus Headache Treatment In Houston
Houston ear, nose, and throat specialist and surgeon Dr. Cecil Yeung has more than 20 years of experience in diagnosing and treating chronic sinusitis, which causes sinus headaches. At Houston Sinus Surgery at the Yeung Institute, he has pioneered endoscopic sinus surgery in the area, performing more than 4,000 sinus surgeries with a re-do rate thats far less than average. Hes a board-certified physician who is known as a leader in his field as well as for his professionalism and precision.
Dr. Yeung will correctly diagnose the cause of your sinus headaches and sinusitis and recommend the most minimally invasive treatment possible that will yield the results you want.
To get relief from the pain and other symptoms of sinus headaches, contact Houston Sinus Surgery at the Yeung Institute today!
You Might Also Enjoy…
Also Check: Sinus Pressure And Jaw Pain
What Are The Signs You Have A Sinus Headache
When you or your child are experiencing a headache, there are signs and symptoms that can help determine whether its a sinus headache, rather than a migraine or other issue.
- Blocked nose with a yellow discharge
- Pain across your forehead, cheeks and nose
- Increased pain when you move your head or bend over
- Persistent pain that remains after a cold has cleared
Sinus Pain Has A Variety Of Causes
If your head is throbbing and you feel pressure around your eyes, cheeks, or forehead, you could have a sinus headache. “Many factors can cause a sinus headache,” says Subinoy Das, MD, chief executive officer and interim medical director for the U.S. Institute for Advanced Sinus Care and Research in Columbus, Ohio. The most important factor is swelling of the lining of the nose and sinuses, causing pressure and pain on in the face and head.
Symptoms of sinus pain and headache include pain associated with congestion from a common cold or allergies pain around your eyes, forehead, or over your teeth pain that is worse in the morning and pain that gets worse when you bend over. Some of the more natural methods of relieving sinus pain that reduce swelling, thin mucus secretions, and improve sinus drainage are often very helpful.
Recommended Reading: What Does Sinus Bradycardia Mean
Best With Fast Delivery: Sudafed Sinus Pain Medication
The Sudafed Sinus Pain Medication is satisfactory and appropriate and fits well with your regular use. The sudafed sinus pain medication has great day and it is great for sinus sufferers. Count box of sudafed pe sinus pressure + pain relief maximum strength non-drowsy decongestant tablets provide powerful relief of sinus pain, sinus pressure, nasal congestion and headaches. The non drowsy decongestant helps promote sinus drainage, temporarily reduces fever and helps relieve headaches and minor aches and pain.
The medication does the trick, can get with active ingredients and it is great for sinus pressure. Finally, the sudafed sinus painmedication is made for children under 12 years, is very convenient and it is affordable.
Most buyers quickly discovered that the medication can be used by adults and children 12 years and over. Also, they also found that the medication takes time to work, it is better than the side effects. And, they strongly agree that the medication is as good as the behind the counter version. In short, at the price, they believe that they got a steal of a deal with it.
Top Customer Quotes:
- This price is affordable, is great for nasal problems and it really well.
- This works so quickly and it is highly recommended.
- This comes in handy for many situations.
- This will be your winning combo as well.