Can A Sinus Headache Be Prevented
- Good handwashing and hygienic practices can help prevent colds and upper respiratory infections.
- Smoking cessation can also decrease your risk of airway infections.
- For people with allergies, avoid allergic triggers to help prevent sinus infections.
- Keep the body well hydrated and humidify the air since these can help promote efficient drainage of fluids from the sinuses.
Best Medicines For Sinus Pressure 2020
If you are experiencing increased sinus pressure, it is possible that youre feeling significant pain around different areas of your face: this is most likely caused by an accumulation of mucus, which results in a congested sinus. Not only is it painful, but it also makes it difficult for you to go about your daily routine.
Fortunately, there isnt a need for us to simply soldier through the discomfort because of the sheer number of different treatments available for sinus pressure. However, it is not uncommon for people to accidentally delay relief as a cause of purchasing the wrong products when in the drugstore.
Prevent the expensive episode of trial and error and make sure to buy the best medicine for sinus pressure that works by checking out this buying guide.
Ayr Saline Nasal Rinse Kit
The Ayr Saline Nasal Rinse Kit is another great choice for people looking for an effective product to combat post nasal drip. Mostly, this product relies on saline, which draws out the mucus by attracting it with salt. Once the accumulated mucus has been pulled out of the posterior portion of the nose and throat, its suctioned out using the included bottle.
While it does offer effective and instant relief against mucus and congestion, the formula isnt quite as powerful as the first name on the list. Without the menthol property, relief doesnt last quite as long, requiring users to repeat the process when mucus accumulates hours later.
You May Like: Sinus Infection In Head Symptoms
Best For Kids: Zyrtec 24 Hr Childrens Allergy Syrup
For kids as young as two years old
Might cause itchiness
Dont worry, Zyrtec looks out for the little ones in your family, too. Childrens Zyrtec is recommended for kids as young as 2 years old and even though its made without sugar, parents confirmed that kids actually like the taste. Only one dose is required daily making the process extra easy, and on top of that, Zyrtec has an app called AllergyCast that can track your kids symptoms and show how certain factors like weather can affect their allergies.
What Causes Sinus Headaches
Sinus infections cause sinus headaches. Anything that makes mucus buildup in the sinuses can lead to a sinus infection, such as:
- The common cold is most often to blame.
- Seasonal allergies trigger mucus production.
- Nasal polyps, abnormal growths in the nose or sinuses. Nasal polyps can block mucus from draining.
- Deviated septum, which is when the line of cartilage and bone down the center of the nose isnt straight. A deviated septum can prevent mucus from properly draining.
Too much mucus gives germs an opportunity to grow. As germs build up, they irritate the sinuses. In response, sinus tissue swells, blocking the passage of mucus. Swollen, irritated sinuses filled with liquid make your face feel tender and achy.
Also Check: Young Living Oils For Sinus Pressure
Best Over The Counter Medicines For Sinus Infection 2020
If you are struggling with a stuffy or a runny nose, pain across your face, and extensive congestion, you might be dealing with a bad case of sinusitis. Dont worry, though a sinus infection isnt anything that could seriously threaten your health. It can, however, be very inconvenient and uncomfortable.
Fortunately, there are lots of treatments and medicines you can get over the counter to manage and relieve the symptoms of sinusitis. However, while these products are highly accessible, the sheer number of options can make it difficult to choose. So, which product is the best over the counter medicine for a sinus infection?
Let this buying guide help you land the right choice.
Newer Antihistamines Can Relieve Sinus Headaches
Dear Doctor K: I’ve had terrible allergies this year, and they have caused repeated, severe sinus headaches. What’s the best way to treat sinus headaches?
Dear Reader: The sinuses are air-filled spaces above, between and beneath your eyes, flanking your nose. The nose and sinuses are lined with a thin membrane that swells and produces mucus in response to irritation. Normally, the mucus from the sinuses drains through small openings, known as ostia, into the nose. The stuff you blow out when your nose is congested is usually mucus produced by the membranes that are in your sinuses and in your nose.
Any condition that causes the nose or sinus membranes to become swollen can narrow or completely block the ostia. This results in a sinus headache.
Sinus headaches can occur in three situations:
When the membranes become inflamed
When fluid builds up in the sinuses and can’t drain out through the nose
When pressure in the sinuses is lower than the environmental air pressure.
Allergies are a major sinus irritant. Viral infections or exposure to secondhand smoke, perfume or other inhaled chemicals also can cause a sinus headache. Whatever the cause, sinus headache pain is most often felt in the center of the face, the bridge of the nose and the cheeks.
Some antihistamines have bothersome side effects. They can make you drowsy, slow your reaction time and impair your judgment. Older, “first-generation” antihistamines are more likely to cause such effects.
You May Like: Best Medicine For Head Cold And Sinus Congestion
What Kind Of Doctor Or Other Healthcare Professional Treats Sinus Headache
- Frequently, sinus headaches are managed by primary care physicians including those that specialize in internal medicine, family medicine, or pediatrics.
- For complicated cases, an ear, nose, and throat specialist may be consulted.
- With unusual infections, such as fungal infections, a specialist in infectious diseases may be consulted.
Best Natural: Les Labs Sinus & Seasonal Sinus Relief & Nasal Health Supplement
Added quercetin promotes immune boost
A bit more expensive
The LES Labs Sinus & Seasonal Supplements are ready to keep your nasal health in tip top shape. It includes all-natural, non-drowsy ingredients like Nettle Root, Quercetin, Bromelain, and Butterbur, which combined can help you stay healthy during allergy season. In short, youll never have to let a stuffy nose get you down again.
You May Like: How To Get Rid Of Severe Sinus Congestion
Treatment For Allergy Headaches
If your allergy headaches persist, your allergist may recommend one or more of the following treatments to offer relief.
- Pain Relievers: Advil and Tylenol can offer short-term relief for sinus pain.
- Oral & Nasal Decongestants: Available in over the counter medications, these can treat nasal congestion and relieve pressure which causes sinus headaches.
- Antihistamines: Histamines are natural chemicals in your body responsible for your bodys response to allergens. Antihistamines help block these chemicals to reduce allergy symptoms. Both OTC and prescription antihistamines are available.
- Intranasal Corticosteroids: These medications are extremely effective at treating allergic rhinitis and help reduce sneezing, itching, nasal congestion, and runny nose.
- Immunotherapy : If you dont respond well to medications or experience side effects, allergy shots may be recommended by your allergist for a more permanent solution to an allergy problem.
If youre experiencing sinus headaches and pain due to allergies, speak with your allergist for treatment options. Contact the professionals at the Allergy & Asthma Specialists of North Florida to schedule an appointment today.
Xyzal Allergy Pills 24
- Relieve allergy symptoms when they’re at their worst: taking xyzal at night prevents suffering in the morning when pollen is at its worst.
- Contains: one 80-count bottle of xyzal allergy pills, 24-hour allergy relief, original prescription strength.
- Starts working in one hour: xyzal gives you rapid relief from allergy symptoms, including sneezing, itchy, watery eyes, runny nose, itchy nose and throat.
- Take once for all-night, all-day relief: xyzal allergy provides 24-hour relief that is as effective at hour 24 as it is at hour 1.
- Maximum strength relief: xyzal is full prescription strength available without a prescription.
Recommended Reading: What’s The Best Thing To Do For A Sinus Infection
How Are Sinus Headaches Prevented
If you have reoccurring sinus headaches as a symptom of sinusitis or seasonal allergies, you may need to consider prescription medication to manage the condition.
Lifestyle changes to reduce congestion, such as avoiding allergens and incorporating aerobic exercise into your routine, might decrease how many headaches you get.
In cases of chronic sinusitis, a nasal surgery such as a balloon sinuplasty might be the only way to stop getting more sinus headaches.
Over The Counter Painkillers To Get Rid Of Sinus Headaches
Though the decongestants can reduce the swelling and improve the breathing through nostrils, it cannot reduce the pain. So, to reduce the pain, there are some over the counter painkillers that are best to get rid of sinus headaches fast. These include Ibuprofen, Aspirin, and Acetaminophen and Naproxem sodium. However, for these medicines as well, prolonged intake is not recommended. You must follow the label instructions for dosage and stop taking them altogether if it is already 10 days or as your doctor prescribes.
For pregnant women, aspirin and ibuprofen are not prescribed. They can take acetaminophen instead. However, one must consult a doctor before taking any over-the-counter medications since it may have major side effects on the pregnancy and the baby.
It must also be mentioned that many of the over the counter painkillers already contain decongestants. So, if you are taking decongestants separately, make sure that you control your dosage and avoid taking too much of it through two different medicines. Most of the over the counter pain relievers help in reducing inflammation along with the pain. So, if the cause of the sinus headache is inflammation, these medicines would be able to cure them as well.
Read Also: Over The Counter Sinus Allergy Relief
Runny Nose Watery Eyes And Sneezing
Over-the-counter antihistamines such as chlorpheniramine and diphenhydramine block this process and can relieve those symptoms. They can also make you sleepy and dry out your eyes, nose, and mouth. Antihistamines can make secretions thick, which can be a problem for people with asthma.
Read Also: Prescription Nasal Spray For Sinus Infection
Medique Products 81913 Medi
- Tamper-evident packets: whether youre an emt or a parent packing emergency preparedness supplies, these nasal decongestant pills are lifesavers.
- Clear sinuses & congestion: if you have a stuffy or runny nose, turn to this sinus decongestant by medi-first.
- Add to your first aid kit: looking to refill your first aid box? look no further than these sinus decongestant tablets by medi-first.
- Effective ingredients: each tablet contains 10 mg of phenylephrine hci.
- Non-drowsy formula: both nasal congestion and sinus pressure already interfere with your life, preventing you from enjoying certain activities.
Don’t Miss: How Long Does Sinus Surgery Take
Vicks Vapoinhaler Portable Nasal Inhaler 2 Count
- Provides allergy medicine for sneezing, runny nose, itchy nose or throat, and itchy, watery eyes and cold symptoms like sneezing and runny nose.
- Works when you need it most with an allergy medicine in small, convenient antihistamine tablets that put your allergies to rest.
- 100-count pack of benadryl ultratabs antihistamine allergy relief tablets each containing 25 mg of the antihistamine diphenhydramine hcl for allergy relief that works when you need it most.
- Active ingredient, diphenhydramine hcl, provides relief for hay fever or other upper respiratory allergy symptoms and cold symptoms like sneezing and runny nose.
- Allergy medicine tablets for multi-symptom allergy relief intended to be used by adults and children ages six and up for relief of both indoor and outdoor allergies.
What Are Nasal Allergies
When you are allergic to something, your immune system produces substances known as IgE antibodies to components of our environment that are harmless. These antibodies are used to misidentify the harmless substances as forgien invaders meant to do you harm. Examples of substances, also known as allergens, are dog dander, cat dander, dust mites and for us South Texans MOUNTAIN CEDAR . When you come into contact with the allergen, your immune system overreacts and attacks the allergen by releasing inflammatory hormones that send signals to immune cells to help fight off the harmless substances. The most abundant hormone is Histamine, which is why antihistamines such as Zyrtec, Claritin, Allegra, etc., help treat allergy symptoms. The immune response causes inflammation and mucus production, which can cause the following symptoms.
Read Also: What Works Best For Sinus Pressure
Sinus Headache Symptoms & Treatment Options
Sinus headaches can bring acute discomfort to the sufferer, and are commonly experienced as pain across the forehead, nose and cheekbones. Sharp movements of the head can result in bursts of pain, making everyday life uncomfortable.
For many sufferers, diagnosing whether you have a sinus issue or a migraine can be tricky. If you or your child areexperiencing the symptoms of sinus headache or a possible migraine, Dr. Chacko will diagnose the issue and work to find the best sinus treatment solution for you. Serving families in the Atlanta area, Chacko Allergy is ready to help.
Sinus Headache Medicine In A Pinch
The best sinus headache medicine is of course plenty of fluids and a bit of TLC. There are many treatments that will help ease your pain naturally however, if you need some instant relief, you should consider over-the-counter medication.
That being said, if you are taking these medications regularly for ten days in a row, you should consult your physician to find a more permanent solution.
Read Also: How To Relieve Sinus Pressure In Face
Before Taking This Medicine
Ask a doctor before taking medicine that contains acetaminophen if you have ever had liver disease, or if you drink more than 3 alcoholic beverages per day.
You should not use this medicine if you are allergic to acetaminophen or pseudoephedrine, or if you have untreated or uncontrolled diseases such as glaucoma, asthma or COPD, high blood pressure, heart disease, coronary artery disease, or overactive thyroid.
Do not use cough or cold medicine if you have taken an MAO inhibitor in the past 14 days. A dangerous drug interaction could occur. MAO inhibitors include furazolidone, isocarboxazid, linezolid, phenelzine, rasagiline, selegiline, and tranylcypromine.
Ask a doctor or pharmacist if it is safe for you to take Benadryl Allergy Sinus Headache if you have:
enlarged prostate or urination problems.
It is not known whether Benadryl Allergy Sinus Headache will harm an unborn baby. Do not use cough or cold medicine without a doctor’s advice if you are pregnant.
Acetaminophen and pseudoephedrine may pass into breast milk and may harm a nursing baby. may also slow breast milk production. Do not use cough or cold medicine without a doctor’s advice if you are pregnant.
Always ask a doctor before giving a cough or cold medicine to a child. Death can occur from the misuse of cough and cold medicines in very young children.
Sudafed Pe Sinus Pressure + Pain Relief Maximum Strength Non
- Each caplet contains 5 milligrams of the decongestant phenylephrine hcl and 325 milligrams of acetaminophen, a pain reliever and fever reducer.
- This sinus congestion & pain medicine also temporarily relieves nasal congestion associated with hay fever, upper respiratory allergies and the common cold.
- From the #1 pharmacist recommended brand among oral otc decongestants, this maximum strength formula can be used by adults and children 12 years and older for powerful symptom relief.
- The non-drowsy decongestant helps promotes sinus drainage, temporarily reduces fever and helps relieve headaches and minor aches and pain.
- 24-count box of sudafed pe sinus pressure + pain relief maximum strength non-drowsy decongestant tablets provide powerful relief of sinus pain, sinus pressure, nasal congestion and headaches.
Don’t Miss: Otc Remedies For Sinus Infection
Surgical Treatment For Eustachian Tube Dysfunction
The primary goal of surgical treatment is to bypass the eustachian tube in order to ventilate the middle ear. Surgery can restore hearing, relieve pressure sensation in the ear and reduce the tendency for middle ear infections.
Types of surgery include:
Myringotomy We make a tiny incision in the eardrum and suction out any fluid in the middle ear. In adults, the incision often stays open long enough to allow the swelling in the Eustachian tube lining to resolve. After the eardrum heals , fluid in the middle ear fluid may begin to re-accumulate if the Eustachian tube lining has not recovered.
Pressure equalization tubes During this procedure we will:
Over time, the tube is pushed out as the eardrum heals. A pressure equalization tube usually provides middle ear ventilation for six to 12 months. Often, the eustachian tube will have recovered by this time, and we will not need to replace the tubes. If you have a more chronic condition, however, we can use longer lasting tubes. In adults, the procedure takes about five minutes and can be performed in the office using a topical anesthetic. In children, we will use a light general anesthetic.
Why Is There A Warning About Heart Disease High Blood Pressure Or Diabetes
ContacÃÂ® Cold + Flu advises patients suffering from heart disease, high blood pressure and/or diabetes to consult with their doctor before using Contac. Decongestants in cold medicines decrease the size of enlarged blood vessels in nasal passages, but they can also affect blood vessels in the rest of your body and raise blood pressure. For most people, this increase isnÃ¢t significant. However, some people can have exaggerated responses to decongestants, contributing to dangerously high blood pressures. As stated on the label, check with your doctor before using Contac Cold + Flu if you have liver disease, heart disease, thyroid disease, diabetes, glaucoma, high blood pressure, trouble urinating due to an enlarged prostate gland , or a breathing problem such as emphysema or chronic bronchitis. Frequently Asked QuestionsContinue reading > >
Read Also: Vitamins To Prevent Sinus Infections
Read Also: What Causes Fungus Ball In Sinus