Is Pseudoephedrine Safe Why Is It Sold Behind The Counter
Pseudoephedrine is safe and effective when taken as directed. But some people use OTC pseudoephedrine illegally. They combine it with other products to make methamphetamine . Meth is an illegal and dangerous street drug. To keep people from making meth, OTC medicines that contain pseudoephedrine are sold behind the counter. In most states, you dont need a prescription from your doctor to buy these medicines. But you will have to ask your pharmacist for them. Additional restrictions include:
- A limit on the amount you can purchase each month
- Customer purchasing history
Some states have more requirements for medicines containing pseudoephedrine. These requirements may include a doctors prescription.
Sudafed Pe Day And Night Sinus Pressure & Congestion Tablets 20 Count
- Each daytime and nighttime dose contains 10 milligrams of the nasal decongestant phenylephrine HCl per tablet and each nighttime dose also contains 25 milligrams per tablet of the antihistamine diphenhydramine HCl
- From the #1 pharmacist recommended brand among oral OTC decongestants, this maximum-strength formula can be used by adults and children 12 years and older for powerful symptom relief
- 20-count of Sudafed PE Sinus Congestion Day + Night Maximum Strength Decongestant Medicine Tablets to temporarily relieve sinus pressure and sinus congestion for both day and night
- Both formulas help relieve sinus pressure and sinus congestion, and nasal congestion due to the common cold, hay fever, or upper respiratory allergies. Nighttime tablets also relieve sneezing, runny nose, itchy, watery eyes and itchy throat or nose
- Each multi-pack contains 20 tablets of nasal decongestant, with 12 Daytime and 8 Nighttime tablets for powerful symptom relief throughout the day and while you sleep
When To Seek Medical Care
See a doctor if you have:
- Severe symptoms, such as severe headache or facial pain.
- Symptoms that get worse after improving.
- Symptoms lasting more than 10 days without getting better.
- Fever longer than 3-4 days.
You should also seek medical care if you have had multiple sinus infections in the past year.
This list is not all-inclusive. Please see a doctor for any symptom that is severe or concerning.
Other conditions can cause symptoms similar to a sinus infection, including:
- Seasonal allergies
Read Also: Fastest Way To Get Over Sinus Infection
Arm & Hammer Simply Saline Nasal Mist
Nasal saline is a solid day-to-day way to clear out your sinuses and can be used as often as five to six times per day when you’re feeling the brunt of sinus pain and congestion, says Dr. Zalvan.
This is portable, preservative-free, sterile, and most importantly, aerosolized, allowing for deeper access to the sinuses, he says.
Things To Take Into Consideration
As you compare and contrast your options, it is clear that sinus pressure medicines can be vastly different from each other: this is because different people react differently to certain formulations, so pharmaceutical companies have developed various options to address each persons experience effectively.
Depending on your own bodys needs, as well as your personal preferences, it may be ideal to choose one option over another. Choose the best medicine for sinus pressure by remembering these main considerations when you step into the store.
- Treatment Form. Sinus pressure is the result of an accumulation of mucus, which commonly occurs as a cause of a viral or bacterial infection. Most of the treatments you will find for sinus pressure are geared towards resolving the symptom only and dont actually address the infection that initially caused the problem. Regardless, these products are highly effective at providing temporary relief of sinus congestion discomfort.
Most commonly, sinus pressure remedies come in three forms:
- Pills. Ideal for people on the go, capsules, and tablets are the slowest acting remedy. Despite this, however, they offer the longest-lasting results. Some pills target more than just sinus congestion, making them an effective remedy for holistic relief. Whats more, pills are also a convenient option for people on the go as theyre fairly easy to take.
Recommended Reading: Vitamin C For Sinus Congestion
How Long Will It Take To Feel Better
Sinus infections are usually caused by viruses and typically will get better over five to seven days, Dr. McCormick says. If the symptoms persist for longer or the symptoms get better but quickly return, patients should see a doctor to determine if they need antibiotics or if there is another cause for their symptoms, he adds.
While these medications will help you feel better, they wont necessarily wipe out your symptoms completely. And, because sinus infections are usually caused by a virus, you just kind of have to ride it out. Dr. McCormick also recommends doing saline irrigations with a nasal spray or neti pot to help you feel more comfortable while you wait.
Best For Essential Oils: Arm Hammer Sinus Congestion Over The Counter Medicine
Arm Hammer has been making great medicine for years, thanks to a combination of clever design and appropriate materials. The Arm Hammer Sinus Congestion Over The Counter Medicine uses less solution and it is great for quick results. Plus, its adaptable nozzle and gentle mist make it easy to use. This nighttime nasal spray helps relieve colds and allergies congestion, and is made with soothing eucalyptus for better sleep.
Lastly, the arm hammer sinuscongestion overthe counter medicine is great for bloody noses and it helps with congestion.
Almost all buyers opine that the medicine is like breath with both nostrils clear & it is amazing. In addition, they strongly agree that the medicine does a pretty good job. In addition, a few say that the nozzle and aerosol spray work better than the delivery system provided by squeeze bottles. Therefore, buyers were eager to recommend it to friends and families.
Top Customer Quotes:
- This has ingredients, purified water, offers for other products and it works great.
- This is like napalm bombing the problem with a refreshing breeze coming after.
- This will help open a stuffy nose.
- This is not one that you would probably use frequently, but it works.
Recommended Reading: How To Shorten A Sinus Infection
Home Remedies For Sinus Infections: How To Cure A Sinus Infection Naturally
If you are experiencing mild symptoms or if sinusitis is not a regular problem for you, then you may want to consider a sinus infection home remedy. One of the primary ways to help reduce symptoms and eliminate the infection in the sinus cavities is to promote natural drainage of the mucus that is trapped in the sinuses. Most natural remedies involve finding ways to reduce inflammation and increase drainage. These include:
- Increasing water intake: The body needs a minimum level of fluids in order to properly function. Dehydration can prevent the body from healing naturally.
- Vapor or mist: Various types of humidifiers can provide enough additional moisture to break up small blockages in the sinus passage. Once these blockages are clear, the sinuses may drain naturally.
- Sinus rinse or neti pot: These solutions have grown in popularity over the past few years. They work on the idea that a purified saline solution can break up the sinus blockage, clean the sinus cavity, and clear out the infection. When used as directed, they may provide real relief for some patients. Before considering the use of a sinus rinse, the utmost care should be taken to follow all directions. In the case of a severe infection or the misuse of a product, they can cause more damage and potentially increase the severity of an infection.
When To See Your Doctor For Nasal Congestion
See your doctor for nasal congestion if your symptoms last more than ten days, dont respond to over the counter treatment and lifestyle changes, your nasal discharge is yellow or green, or if you experience a fever.
A fever is an indicator that your symptoms are a result of bacterial infection, which will require prescribed antibiotics.
Also Check: How To Get Rid Of Viral Sinus Infection
Feeling Fully Plugged Reach For A Decongestant
In almost all cases of nasal congestion, the main cause of that stuffed up feeling is inflammation, which makes tissues in nasal passageways swell, explains Jonathan Auth, MD, a pediatrician at CHOC Childrens, a healthcare system based in Orange, California.
Oral and nasal decongestants work by shrinking the swollen blood vessels in the nose and air passages, with nasal decongestants offering the fastest relief. Thats because the medicine goes straight to the site of congestion without going through your body first, so there are fewer side effects than with oral decongestants, explains , department head and professor of pharmacy practice at the University of Illinois at Chicago College of Pharmacy.
However, nasal decongestants come with a major drawback: Nasal sprays can be used only for a short time because of the rebound effect, she says.
The rebound effect means the congestion can come back even stronger when the drug is discontinued, so you have to take more of it this can also lead to dependency on the drug. As Michael Seidman, MD, an otolaryngologist in Kissimmee, Florida, puts it, Dont use a nasal decongestant for more than two to three days, or else the nose becomes addicted to it.
An increased heart rate is a possible side effect of decongestant use, so these drugs should be avoided if you have high blood pressure, heart disease, or an irregular heartbeat.
Best For Worth The Money: Clearup Sinus Congestion Over The Counter Medicine
The Clearup Sinus Congestion Over The Counter Medicine is capable of outshining several other medicines featured in this list in overall features in its price range. The clearup sinus congestion over the counter medicine is efficient, it is unique and has a good design. Clearup works with your bodys natural electricity, so there is no chance of addiction or chemical side effects. In addition, medicine is a modern, clinically proven way to clear congestion and stop sinus pain.
The medicine is for adults 18+ years old. Most importantly, the clearup sinus congestion over the counter medicine is also to be used for the temporary relief of moderate to severe congestion.
Almost all buyers quickly discovered that the medicine is perfectly fine if it detects many sinus treatment areas. Also, they strongly agree that the medicine does vibrate regularly, Yes that is normal. Further, they say that this machine greatly reduces sinus pain and is very easy to use. To sum up, buyers found this to be one of the best medicines for daily purposes.
Top Customer Quotes:
- This works for severe blockages too.
- This is used for the temporary relief of sinus pain associated with allergic rhinitis.
- This works well for soothing sinus pain.
- Clearup is still working regardless of which sensation you experience.
Read Also: What Medicine Is For Sinus Infection
What Is High Blood Pressure
Blood pressure is reported using two figures, the top number and the bottom number . A normal blood pressure is considered to be 120/80 . Readings of 120 to 139 or 80 to 89 are referred to as prehypertension. If your systolic blood pressure is consistently above 140 or your diastolic pressure is consistently above 90, you are considered to have hypertension .
Medicines That Help Relieve Sinus Congestion
Brand names of some of the best OTC medications for sinus congestion include:
You May Like: Can Wisdom Teeth Cause Sinus Problems
Best For Seasonal Allergies: Vicks Sinus Congestion Over The Counter Medicine
Vicks line of medicine comes in a pretty wide variety of styles, so you can definitely find one that suits your individual preferences and needs. The Vicks Sinus Congestion Over The Counter Medicine offers for other products, works every time and it makes a huge difference. Effective nasal spray decongestant that relieves sinus pressure and shrinks swollen nasal membranes. The active ingredient oxymetazoline hcl is an effective nasal decongestant and works for 12 hours for long lasting relief of nasal stuffiness and sinus pressure.
Finally, the vicks sinuscongestion overthe counter medicine is ready to go, works great and it is highly recommend.
Almost all customers agree that the medicine reduces swollen sinuses quickly. Moreover, a few also found that the medicine works as well as sinex severe in the glass bottle. Further, they strongly agree that this fast acting spray works in minutes and lasts for hours. Overall, for most customers, Vick product was just what they wanted.
Top Customer Quotes:
- This is more like 5-8 hrs, maybe longer, hard to tell.
- This is used for more than 3 days as it can cause rebound congestion.
- Theres a huge issue, though, with the bottle.
- This can buy for good value, decided to try and it does the job.
What Are Other Ways To Treat And Prevent The Flu
Antiviral prescription medicines and an annual flu vaccine are available for treating and preventing the flu.
Prescription anti-flu medicines include amantadine , rimantadine , zanamivir and oseltamivir . These drugs do not cure the flu, but they can make the symptoms milder and make you feel better more quickly. They are only effective when used in the first 48 hours of flu-like symptoms.
These drugs are not needed for healthy people who get the flu. They are usually reserved for people who are very sick with the flu or those who are at risk of complications from the flu, such as people with long-term chronic medical conditions or older age.
Flu vaccine . Although there is currently no vaccine against the common cold, there is a vaccine to prevent the flu. The vaccine is available by both shot and nasal spray. It works by exposing the immune system to the viruses. The body responds by building antibodies against the flu. The flu shot contains dead flu viruses. The nasal spray contains live, but weakened, flu viruses. The nasal spray is only approved for healthy children and adults two to 49 years old and who are not pregnant.
Dont Miss: How To Relieve Sinus Pressure In Your Face
Read Also: Heal Sinus Infection Without Antibiotics
Steroid Preparations For The Nose
Steroid sprays are often used for nasal congestion, particularly when it is caused by allergies such as hay fever or by nasal polyps. Steroid sprays work by reducing the swelling of the inside of the nose. The nasal spray should be applied directly to the inside of the nose. Steroid nasal sprays are safe for adults to use in the long term if needed. There are several types of steroid spray and they come in several brands. Some are available to buy from chemists or supermarkets for others you will need a prescription. Always check with your doctor or pharmacist before using a steroid spray for nasal congestion. See the separate leaflet called Steroid Nasal Sprays for more details.
Steroid nasal drops are more readily absorbed than sprays and can cause similar side-effects to steroid tablets. They should therefore be used cautiously and for the shortest possible time.
Is It Time To Get A New Sinus Medicine
Youre looking for a new sinus medicine. What do you think? Its difficult to predict future price changes. If there are no signs of production slowing, it can be worth buying now to enjoy your investment sooner. But if output is declining and prices are predicted to rise, you might want to wait until the buzz has died down before making a choice.
You May Like: Alka Seltzer Cold And Sinus Directions
What Are The Precautions Of Medicines For Nasal Congestion
Are there any precautions to consider before getting the best medicine for nasal congestion? Well, there are some side effects to taking decongestants such as dizziness, high blood pressure, headaches, and even nausea. Sprays shouldnt be used if you have heart problems or high blood pressure as they might trigger side effects. If you do plan on using one, make sure that you discuss it with your doctor first if they will allow it, otherwise, you will need to look for alternative measures instead.
The best medicine for nasal congestion might make it difficult for you to sleep. This is something that you should take into consideration when looking for treatment for your blocked nose. It might be because some ingredients can keep you wide awake at night so if you do buy one, time your intake so that by the time you need to sleep, you will be able to rest easily. Make sure that the medication that you are using is appropriate for your age and your current condition.
Neilmed Sinus Rinse Starter Kit
For effective removal of accumulated mucus, NeilMed Sinus Rinse Starter Kit can be an ideal product. This formulation allows users to achieve a deep rinse, cleaning out most of the accumulation to free out the airways. Whats more, the rinse also incorporates safe ingredients, making it a safe solution for users as young as 2 years of age.
The rinse is highly effective, providing relief from congestion for up to 6 hours after use. The only concern that some users have with the product is that it can be a hassle to use, especially when you are out or away from home.
Read Also: Best Medicine To Take For Sinus Infection