Allegra Adult 24 Hour Allergy Relief 70
- Target sinus pain comparable to sudafed pe congestion our nasal decongestant can relieve pressure on front, maxillary, ethmoid or sphenoid regions in the head..
- Breathe easier, feel better releasing sinus pressure and sinus congestion can help relieve headaches, migraines, tension and stress so you can refocus with clarity..
- Powerful sinus pressure relief this non-drowsy decongestant can help relieve painful pressure and nasal congestion to help you breathe and think more clearly..
- Maximum strength support packed with 10 mg of phenylephrine hcl, our nasal decongestant tablets help relieve pressure caused by colds, allergies, or hay fever..
- Fast-acting support every bottle contains 24 tablets that work quickly to reduce nasal swelling and inflammation for up to 4 hours offering day or night protection..
Recommended Reading: Medicine For Childrens Sinus Infection
Best Cold Medicine For Runny Nose
A runny nose is how the body reacts to the inflammation and irritation that a cold virus is causing in the nasal passages.
If you take a decongestant for a runny nose, your symptoms may get better if you have congestion. But, a decongestant may cause undesirable effects as well, such as raising your blood pressure or making your nose and throat feel too dry.
Thats why diphenhydramine might be better for drying up a runny nose if you do not feel too congested. Diphenhydramine is an antihistamine, which means it reduces your bodys natural reaction to irritants and pathogens, which may help if your runny nose is because your body is releasing histamines. Benadryl also might make you drowsy, which is why its best to take this medication at bedtime.
What Can I Take To Help With Sleep While Breastfeeding
Diphenhydramine : Antihistamine. Diphenhydramine is an antihistamine that is often used in cough, cold, sinus, and allergy formulations. It is used to dry up secretions. Sedation is an unwanted side effect when using it as an allergy medication, but can be an advantage to help with sleep. If you are taking a sedating medication, be sure to have support in caring for your infant. There is some anecdotal evidence that diphenhydramine can suppress milk production, but this pattern is not supported by the medical literature. Common trade names: Benadryl, Tylenol PM.
Doxylamine : This is another sedating antihistamine, similar to diphenhydramine, which is more commonly used for its sedative properties. There are no good studies about how much of this drug gets into breast milk. In infants exposed to doxylamine, there are reports of sedation, apnea, and paradoxical CNS stimulation. If you are taking a sedating medication like diphenhydramine, be sure to have support in caring for your infant. Use caution with this medication. Common trade name: Unisom
Read Also: Natural Help For Sinus Infection
What Prescription Drugs Cure A Cough
When cough is severe, over-the-counter medications and home remedies may not be enough to relieve symptoms, and prescriptions may be needed.
- Codeine and other narcotic medications are often prescribed as effective cough suppressants. Many times these are combined with the cough suppressant dextromethorphan, or the expectorant guaifenesin.
- If cough is due to whooping cough, bacterial pneumonia, complicated bronchitis, or sinusitis it is usually treated with antibiotics such as penicillin, cephalosporins, or azithromycin .
- For cough due to allergies, such as hay fever, inhaled nasal steroids may be prescribed.
- For postnasal drip that does not respond to OTC drugs, nasal inhalers such as ipratropium bromide can help.
- If cough is a result of asthma, prescription inhaled bronchodilators and inhaled steroids help decrease inflammation of the airways. Short-term oral steroids, which help reduce inflammation, are sometimes prescribed to relieve chronic cough.
Your primary care provider such as a family practitioner, internal medicine specialist, or pediatrician may diagnose and treat a cough. If cough is severe an emergency medicine specialist may see you in a hospitalâs emergency department.
Many times cough symptoms will worsen at night. This may be due to postnasal drip or acid from the stomach backing up into your throat from acid reflux. There are some strategies and home remedies you can use to help ease nighttime cough:
Mucinex Expectorant And Cough Suppressant Tablets
Another top pick for chest congestion medicine comes from the same brand Mucinex. The main difference between Mucinex DM Maximum Strenght 12-Hour Expectorant and Cough Suppressant and the first on the list is that they work differently on chest congestion. This product works to suppress a cough stopping any chest irritation that might be causing you to cough in the first place.
This product effectively loosens mucus with guaifenesin and prevents the coughing reflex with dextromethorphan an ingredient lacking in the first option. Mucinex is particularly ideal for people with chest congestion who experience irritating, persistent, and troubling coughing episodes.
Don’t Miss: Allergy Asthma And Sinus Center Lexington Ky
When To See A Doctor
In some cases, at-home remedies might not do the trick. If you arenât feeling better after a few days, have a fever that isnât going away, are wheezing, or canât seem to shake the infection, make an appointment with your doctor. Chest congestion may indicate a condition more serious than the common cold or bronchitis.
Sudafed Pe Sinus Pressure + Pain Relief Maximum Strength Non
- 24-count box of sudafed pe sinus pressure + pain relief maximum strength non-drowsy decongestant tablets provide powerful relief of sinus pain, sinus pressure, nasal congestion and headaches.
- From the #1 pharmacist recommended brand among oral otc decongestants, this maximum strength formula can be used by adults and children 12 years and older for powerful symptom relief.
- The non-drowsy decongestant helps promotes sinus drainage, temporarily reduces fever and helps relieve headaches and minor aches and pain.
- This sinus congestion & pain medicine also temporarily relieves nasal congestion associated with hay fever, upper respiratory allergies and the common cold.
- Each caplet contains 5 milligrams of the decongestant phenylephrine hcl and 325 milligrams of acetaminophen, a pain reliever and fever reducer.
You May Like: Natural Factors Lung Bronchial & Sinus Health Amazon
Sudafed Pe Head Congestion + Flu Severe
Non-drowsy congestion and cold medicine caplets provide relief from your symptoms, including cough, sinus pressure, sinus congestion, sinus headache, sore throat and chest congestion.
- bvseo_sdk, p_sdk, 3.2.0
- bvseo-msg: HTTP status code of 404 was returned HTTP status code of 404 was returned
Non-drowsy congestion and flu cold medicine tablets caplets provide relief from your symptoms, including sinus pressure, sore throat, chest congestion, headache, and cough
- Relieves head congestion and flu symptoms
- Made with acetaminophen & guaifenesin
- temporarily relieves these symptoms due to the common cold:
- nasal congestion
Do not use more than directed
Adults and children 12 years and over:
Children under 12 years:
Liver warning: This product contains acetaminophen. The maximum daily dose of this product is 10 tablets in 24 hours. Severe liver damage may occur if you take
Allergy alert: acetaminophen may cause severe skin reactions. Symptoms may include:
If a skin reaction occurs, stop use and seek medical help right away.
Do not use
Ask a doctor before use if you have
When using this product do not exceed recommended dose.
How Coughing And Sinus Infections Are Related To Each Other
When you experience excess mucus draining into your throat, this is actually known as post nasal drip, and it is just one of the many cold symptoms also associated with chronic sinus infections. Post nasal drip doesnt just cause coughing, though. It can also bring about a sore throat, a hoarse voice, nausea, and even bad breath.
But why exactly does post nasal drip during a sinus infection lead to coughing? Well, imagine mucus running down your throat. Is your throat irritated? Probably. Do you feel a tickling sensation? Most likely. All of these sensations can trigger a reaction that reaction is coughing.
Unfortunately, all the nose blowing and coughing that youll continue to do as a result of the mucus drainage will only lead to more mucus and more irritation. This is why its important to understand the best way to stop a sinus infection and relieve post nasal drip.
Don’t Miss: Best Sinus Medicine For Allergies
Get Your Antibiotics Fast
No one likes being sick, and having a sinus infection can be very uncomfortable. Getting antibiotics as fast as possible is crucial to healing, and is made possible with PlushCare. Our online doctors can diagnose your sinus infection, write a prescription, and send it to your local pharmacy in 15 minutes. PlushCare can help you effectively, quickly, and easily treat your sinus infection.
Fever And Pain Reducers
If you have a fever and/or pain, take two acetaminophen tablets. After four hours, if you still have pain or fever, take two ibuprofen tablets. You can rotate these every four hours.
Valdez said it is very important to be careful when combining all these medicines to make sure you are not doubling up on a single agent. Some of these medications may contain a lower dose of any of the above mentioned agents, so check the labels carefully.
Remember those agents are: acetaminophen or ibuprofen for fever/pain, dextromethorphan for cough and pseudoephedrine or phenylephrine and guaifenesin for decongestants and expectorants.
Lastly, Valdez said to keep the following in mind:
- If you have a fever, do not go into work or school you should be fever free for 24 hours.
- Rest is the best medicine. Let the virus run its course if your body is run down it will take it longer to fight off the infection.
- To prevent sinus infections, get a flu shot , wash your hands often and cover your cough and sneeze.
Also Check: Does Doxycycline Help With Sinus Infection
How To Use Cough Medicine Safely
Norman H. Edelman, MD, chief medical officer, American Lung Association professor of medicine, Stony Brook University Medical Center, Stony Brook, N.Y.
Donald R. Rollins, MD, associate professor, pulmonary division, National Jewish Health, Denver, Colo.
American Academy of Pediatrics: “Withdrawal of Cold Medicines: Addressing Parent Concerns.”
FamilyDoctor.org: “Cough Medicine: Understanding Your OTC Options.”
Schroeder, K. Cochrane Database of Systemic Reviews, October 2004.
Bosler, D. Chest, January 2006.
Medline Plus: “Guaifenesin.”
Best Cold Medicine For Coughing
Viruses like those which cause the common cold are a leading cause of either wet coughs, as well as dry coughs . A wet cough is the bodys way of clearing mucus from airways and is best treated with an expectorant like guaifenesin. Dry, hacking coughs are important to prevent a sore throat and assist you in getting that much needed rest to maximize your recovery. Cough suppressants will be your go-to class of medications for this type of cough, and a cough syrup like Delsym is the highest pharmacist-recommended brand.
Also Check: Can Sinus Cause Ringing In Ears
Home Remedies For Congestion
Outside of medications, there are other home remedies you can try to clear up your chest congestion.
- Stay hydrated. Mucus is 90% water and can get thicker when youre dehydrated.
- Use a humidifier, face steamer, or vaporizer.
- Soothe your face with a warm, moist washcloth or breathe in with your face over a bowl of hot water.
- Try deep breathing and positional exercises.
- Try rinsing your sinuses with a nasal irrigation device or nasal spray.
- Prop yourself up when sleeping or lying down.
Oral And Nasal Decongestants
Over-the-counter decongestants work by shrinking blood vessels inside the nose. There are both oral and nasal formulations.
Sudafed is an oral decongestant used to relieve nasal or sinus congestion caused by the common cold, sinusitis, and respiratory allergies. Do not use Sudafed for longer than three days as it can also lead to rebound congestion.
While Sudafed is available without a prescription, it is kept behind the pharmacy counter and requires an ID to obtain. A similar drug called Sudafed PE can be purchased without hindrance but has not proven to be anywhere near as effective as pseudoephedrine.
You May Like: Vitamin C For Sinus Congestion
Home Remedies For Sinus Infection Treatment
Chop up a few garlic cloves and drop them into boiling water. Inhale the steam from this garlic water repeat a few times daily for a few minutes each. Garlic is a natural antibiotic and antibacterial agent, the pungent smell of which will help open up your congested nose, and kill the bacteria in your nasal cavity. You can also eat two or three crushed garlic cloves daily.
2. Apple Cider Vinegar
This common kitchen ingredient has several beneficial properties it also helps in making easy home remedies for sinus pressure. Make a mixture of hot water, honey, lemon juice and water, and add two or three tablespoons of raw apple cider vinegar to it. You can also mix apple cider vinegar to tea and drink the liquid three times a day. It will help flush out mucus from your sinus cavities. If you feel you are coming down with a flu or cold, you can immediately consume apple cider vinegar to avoid sinus infection.
3. Nasal Irrigation
Take boiled water and add a pinch of baking soda and a teaspoon of salt to it. Or, mix a teaspoon of sea salt and half a teaspoon of hydrogen peroxide in boiled water. Use either of these liquids as solutions for nasal irrigation. Use a bulb syringe and use it once a day it keeps the nasal cavity moist and clears out mucus.
4. Cayenne Pepper
6. Boost Your Immune System
7. Make a Super Smoothie
8. Oregano Oil
Okay But What Types Of Cold Medicine Can You Take While Pregnant
Most medicines taken during pregnancy cross the placenta and reach the fetus, so it’s important to know which ones are safe, and which should be avoidedand what some natural remedies are instead.
The American Pregnancy Association recommended getting plenty of rest , drinking lots of fluids and trying some natural remedies.
For instance, to reduce congestion, place a humidifier in your room, elevate your head during rest time, or try nasal strips, per the American Pregnancy Association. To soothe a sore throat, gargle with warm salt water, drink warm tea, or suck on ice chips.
As far as OTC medications go, the American Pregnancy Association advised keeping the number to a minimum during pregnancy. Among the safest options for pregnant people are:
- Acetaminophen can work for fevers, headaches, and body aches.
- Most cough drops are generally considered safe to help ease a cough.
- Anesthetic throat lozenges can relieve a sore throat.
Cold medicines that you may need to avoid, however, include:
- Some pain relievers and fever reducers, such as aspirin, ibuprofen and naproxen
- Afrin and other non-steroidal nasal decongestant sprays containing oxymetazoline
- OTC herbal remedies like echinacea
To be on the safe side, always get your cold meds approved by your pharmacist or healthcare provider. Many healthcare providers advise staying away from all medicines during the first trimester.
Read Also: Advil Allergy And Sinus Ingredients
Treatment Options For Sinus Drainage And Coughing
When the main symptom is coughing, most people turn to over-the-counter treatments to manage the cough, such as cough syrup or throat lozenges. Alternatively, one can use a cool-mist humidifier in the bedroom at night. For adults and children over one year of age, a teaspoon of honey at bedtime can be beneficial. While these treatments might provide immediate relief, they dont treat the root problem: excess drainage from the sinuses, triggering medications or other throat irritants.
An ENT can perform a thorough history and physical to ascertain both sinus and non-sinus contributors to cough. CT scanning of the sinuses, available in the office, can be invaluable in diagnosing the source. Appropriate treatment can then be prescribed. You might need to take medication to thin the mucus, or antibiotics if you have a bacterial sinus infection. Certain exacerbating conditions may need to be addressed, or medication changes made. If these noninvasive treatments dont work, then your ENT might recommend surgery or in-office procedures to open the sinuses.
Recommended Reading: Medicine For Sinus Congestion And Sore Throat
What Is The Best Cold Medicine To Use
Unlike the flu medicine, Tamiflu , there is no antiviral medication available for the common cold. The best cold medicine to use will vary depending on the symptoms someone has. For example, someone who has a cold and cough may need to take a cough suppressant, whereas someone with a cold and stuffy nose might need to take a decongestant. Taking a decongestant when you dont have a stuffy nose probably isnt going to help you if youre searching for relief from a sore throat.
Finding the best cold medicine depends on which cold symptoms you want the most relief fromfind a medication that treats those symptoms. Some treatments even provide multi-symptom relief and would say so on the label.
If youre still unsure about which cold medicine to choose, you can always ask your healthcare provider, including your pharmacist, for advice. Its also a good idea to ask your doctor or pharmacist if taking cold medicine will interfere with your prescription medications, as drug-drug interactions can cause unwanted side effects.
|Best cold medicines|
Recommended Reading: Nac Supplement For Sinus Pressure
Make Use Of A Virtual Credit Card Number
This is a 16-digit number created randomly, combined with a CVV code, that you can use to purchase any product online. Also, be cautious when entering data, or you may suffer a significant loss. Regularly change your passwords. Keep your credentials safe and secure at all times. Never give out your personal login information to anyone. If you are still unsure, keep altering it regularly or as needed. Work smartly and privately.