Corticosteroid Drops Or Sprays
Corticosteroids, also known as steroids, are a group of medications that can help to reduce inflammation.
If you have persistent symptoms of sinusitis, your GP may prescribe steroid nasal drops or sprays to help reduce the swelling in your sinuses. These may need to be used for several months.
Possible side effects include nasal irritation, a sore throat and nosebleeds.
Recommended Reading: Sinus Pressure Causing Tooth Pain
Sinus & Allergy Fast Acting Nasal Congestion Relief Spray Mucinex Sinus Max
- Long lasting: lasts up to 12 hours, through the day or night..
- Also available from mucinex: mucinex sinus-max clear & cool nasal spray for severe nasal congestion relief..
- Uses: temporarily relieves nasal congestion due to a cold, hay fever or other upper respiratory allergies.
- What is it: this nasal spray provides targeted nasal congestion relief due to upper respiratory allergies or hay fever.
- Key benefits: fast acting relief that lasts for up to 12 hours, non-drowsy and nasal congestion relief due to upper respiratory allergies or hay fever..
Read Also: Doctor To See For Sinus Problems
When To Seek Medical Care
See a doctor if you have:
- Severe symptoms, such as severe headache or facial pain.
- Symptoms that get worse after improving.
- Symptoms lasting more than 10 days without getting better.
- Fever longer than 3-4 days.
You should also seek medical care if you have had multiple sinus infections in the past year.
This list is not all-inclusive. Please see a doctor for any symptom that is severe or concerning.
Other conditions can cause symptoms similar to a sinus infection, including:
- Seasonal allergies
You May Like: What Is The Best Medicine For Allergies And Sinus
What To Look For When Buying Otc Sinus Decongestants
When youre figuring out which decongestant to buy, youll need to determine whats causing your congestion.
If its allergies, youll probably want a product that contains an antihistamine ingredient like diphenhydramine. Antihistamines target your bodys immune response to allergens like pollen. Antihistamines usually make the person taking them a bit drowsy, so keep in mind taking them at any time other than bedtime may have you needing a nap.
If you have cold or flu symptoms, you may be looking for a product that includes phenylephrine or pseudoephedrine. These ingredients work by shrinking your blood vessels, which can help you breathe more easily and reduce the symptoms of a sinus headache or a stuffy nose.
However, both of these ingredients can cause you to feel restless and can make it difficult to fall asleep. These types of drugs can also make you nauseous. Generally, phenylephrine may have fewer serious side effects than pseudoephedrine. You should always consult a doctor before taking these meds if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
Some OTC sinus decongestant formulas include both antihistamines and decongestant ingredients, and some add pain relief ingredients such as ibuprofen to their formula. Its best to treat for symptoms that you have, not for additional symptoms that you dont have.
Treating your congestion with OTC products doesnt always provide relief. You should seek professional medical care if you experience any of the following:
Ways To Clear Up Sinus Congestion
You dont have to keep living with the symptoms of a sinus infection. Here are eight smart tips from both experts and readers thatll help get you breathing easier in no time.
Sinus congestion may make you feel miserable, but managing it can be easy if you find the right treatment, that is. First, it helps to figure out whats triggering the congestion. You can treat the symptoms, but you are going to be chasing your tail if you dont know whats causing them, says Ian Alexander, MD, an otolaryngologist and founder of the National Sinus Institute, which has clinics in New Mexico and Texas. Common causes include allergies and infections, but your congestion could also be caused by structural problems with your nose and sinuses. Here are some short- and long-term solutions that can help ease congestion and relieve sinusitis symptoms.
Also Check: Advil Cold And Sinus Directions For Use
Treat Sinus Pain With Humidity
“Dry, thick mucus in your nose and sinus passages can form crusts that block sinus drainage and trap viruses and other particles. Increasing humidity and getting more fluid into your body can help your mucus thin out and get moving again,” says Dr. Das. Some natural ways to get your sinuses draining and relieve sinus pressure include drinking plenty of fluids using a humidifier avoiding cold, dry air taking plenty of steamy showers and drinking a cup of hot tea or soup.
Sinus Headache Vs Migraine
According to the American Migraine Foundation, 50 percent of migraine misdiagnoses start with a person thinking they have sinus headache. Up to 90 percent of people who go to the doctor for sinus headache find out they have migraine instead.
People with migraine may develop symptoms similar to sinusitis, like a runny nose or congestion. Migraine headaches also cause pain along the trigeminal nerve, which interacts with the sinus passages. People experiencing migraine may think this pain is related to the sinuses.
If you dont have any of the symptoms that come specifically with a sinus headache, you may be experiencing a migraine. Migraine is treated differently from sinus headache. Symptoms specific to migraine include:
- sensitivity to light and sound
If youre experiencing symptoms specific to migraine, youre likely experiencing a migraine attack and not a sinus headache.
Sinusitis directly causes sinus headaches, so they share the same causes and triggers. These include:
- Viral infection. This is the most common cause of sinusitis and sinus headache. About
Also Check: What Kind Of Doctor To See For Sinus Problems
Its Best To Choose Cold And Flu Medication By Symptom
The key to picking the right product or products to help you feel better faster is to zero in on your symptoms. Also important: Whenever possible, stick to single-ingredient remedies to reduce the risk of side effects, says Nate Favini, MD, an internist and medical director of the nationwide healthcare system Forward.
Choose a medication thats going to directly address the symptom or symptoms that are bothering you rather than a cocktail that may include things you dont need, he says. For example, if the label of a cold or flu medication says that it treats fevers, coughs, and runny noses but you have only a cough, choose a simple cough suppressant instead.
Dont Miss: Will A Sinus Infection Make My Teeth Hurt
Which Cold And Flu Medicines Work Best
The items that are dealt with by your business are probably different sizes, weights, heights, etc. Because of this, a device that can accommodate these variables is a must. Despite its size and cost, it is a quality product despite being small and cheap.
Today, there are multiple ways to accomplish common office tasks using cold and flu medicines.
Read Also: Best Antibiotic For Bacterial Sinus Infection
Best Nasal Strips For Congestion Buying Guide
- Is it worth buying a Nasal Strips For Congestion?
- What benefits are there with buying a Nasal Strips For Congestion?
- What factors deserve consideration when shopping for an effective Nasal Strips For Congestion?
- Why is it crucial to invest in any Nasal Strips For Congestion, much less the best one?
- Which Nasal Strips For Congestion is good in the current market?
- Where can you find information like this about Nasal Strips For Congestion?
Here is a sneak peek of how we came up with this buying guide:
Can You Get Rid Of A Sinus Infection Without Antibiotics
Many sinus infections are caused by a virus like the common cold and do not require antibiotics for treatment. If you have mild symptoms, OTC medications may help relieve your symptoms until you feel better. However, consult your healthcare provider if symptoms worsen or do not improve after seven days, or if at any time you have intense/severe pain or pressure, or a high fever.
You May Like: Advil Cold And Sinus Discontinued
Don’t Miss: Can Sinus Infection Cause Nose Bleeds
The Best Medicine For Fever Sore Throat And/or Aches And Pains:
Acetaminophen, best known by the brand name Tylenol, is primarily used as a fever reducer, although research in the Cochrane Database of Systemic Reviews suggests it may also relieve cold-related aches and pains. Acetaminophen is safe for most people if taken as directed. It is found in many combination remedies, such as Tylenol Cold + Flu Severe Caplets and Vicks Dayquil Cold & Flu Relief Liquicaps.
Because overdoing acetaminophen can cause serious harm to the liver, avoid using more than one product that contains it at a time to avoid exceeding the FDA-suggested daily dose of 3,000 milligrams for adults per 24-hour period.
Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs , which include aspirin, ibuprofen , and naproxen , reduce fever as well as inflammation throughout the body. Other research in the Cochrane Database of Systemic Reviews found that NSAIDs can greatly lessen discomfort due to headache, ear pain, muscle pain, joint pain, and sneezing.
Note: Some cold and flu remedies such as Excedrin contain both acetaminophen and an NSAID.
Numbing throat sprays and lozenges made with benzocaine , dyclonine , or phenol work like local anesthetics to provide temporary pain relief caused by a sore throat.
If youre still having a hard time navigating the cold medication aisle, talk to the pharmacist. With a little customized guidance about ingredients, you may be able to enjoy better symptom relief.
You May Like: Cvs Sinus Pain And Congestion
What Is The Drug
If you have a serious illness like the flu which is causing the sinus pressure, you should still take your medicine. However, you will still benefit from using this technique to clear your sinuses.
1. Position your body so that you are leaning back at a 45-degree angle. This is important for helping drain the fluid in your sinuses.
2. While sitting back in this position, turn your head to the side and rub the sternocleidomastoid muscle up and down, about four or five times . Turn your head again and repeat on the other side.
3. With your fingers, rub the sides of your nose, just below where the bony upper section meets the softer, lower part. Massage these areas in a circular motion as hard as you can for about 20 seconds. After this, rub the same area and the parts of the nose connecting to the cheek bones to relax them further.
4. After this, locate the super orbital notch, on top of the eye socket above the eyes. Massage these notches, again, in a circular motion, for 20 seconds. Then move to the forehead, and massage above the eyes in an outward motion for another 20 seconds or so.
The pressure exerted on the sinuses by these massages, combined with the angle of your body, will cause the mucus to drain out the sinuses and back down the throat. You will be able to breathe easier and be free of headaches and congestion.
You May Like: How Does Sinus Pressure Make You Feel
Soothe Your Throat With Honey
One of the most proven remedies for the cough of a chest cold is honey, Dr. Cory Fisher, a family medicine physician at Cleveland Clinic, told TODAY. The more local, the better, he added.
The mechanism of cough suppression is not well understood, but honey has been shown to have both anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties. It may also just be that it coats a sore throat, Fisher said. According to Chung, honey can be helpful for a cough in kids over the age of 1.
Get Your Antibiotics Fast
No one likes being sick, and having a sinus infection can be very uncomfortable. Getting antibiotics as fast as possible is crucial to healing, and is made possible with PlushCare. Our online doctors can diagnose your sinus infection, write a prescription, and send it to your local pharmacy in 15 minutes. PlushCare can help you effectively, quickly, and easily treat your sinus infection.
Recommended Reading: Best Medicine For Sinus Congestion And Sore Throat
When Should I Call The Doctor
- a cold that lasts for more than 710 days without improvement
- a cold that seems to be getting worse after 7 days of symptoms
- symptoms of allergies that don’t clear with the usual allergy medicine
Also call if your child shows any other signs of worsening sinusitis, such as:
- pain or pressure in the cheeks or around the eyes
- swelling around the eye
Tips To Help You Get Relief From Your Head Cold
Oh, your aching head! If youÃ¢re suffering from unbearable nasal congestion and headache, you probably have a head cold. The reason youÃ¢re so stuffed up? When you have a head cold, the membranes lining your nasal passages become swollen and produce excess mucus to flush out whatever is causing the irritation, whether itÃ¢s a virus or an allergen. You might experience pain in your forehead, under your eyes or in your upper teeth.
The key to getting rid of a head cold is to reduce sinus swelling and help mucus drain from your sinuses. Although it might seem counterintuitive, keeping your nasal passages moist is the best way to clear out congestionÃ¢dry sinuses will only result in further irritation.
Try these simple tips to clear up a head cold and help relieve headache and sinus pressure.
Since breathing in dry air will dry out your sinuses, itÃ¢s best to add moisture back into your environment by using a cool-mist humidifier or steam vaporizer. You can also try breathing in steam from a hot shower. Doing so can help soothe the irritated membranes lining your nasal passages.
A great way to ease a headache and sinus pressure is to place a warm compress on your forehead and nose. If you donÃ¢t have a compress, try moistening a washcloth with warm water and applying it to your face several times a day. This will help relieve nasal congestion and relieve your head cold symptoms.
Recommended Reading: What Helps Relieve Sinus Headaches
Natural Remedies For Colds
While there is no silver bullet, some remedies exist in addition to the above to help manage symptoms of a cold and possibly prevent further complications, like secondary bacterial infections. The following are examples of natural remedies you can try:
- Gargling with salt water can help soothe a sore and scratchy throatjust mix a teaspoon of salt in a cup of warm water
- Hard candies or throat lozenges are a good alternative
- Drinking warm fluids can help thin mucus in the throat and will help you stay hydrated
- Chicken noodle soup is another great way to make sure youre taking in lots of fluids, and hydration may prevent complications like sinus infections
- Honey can help soothe sore throats, so consider adding a spoonful to your warm tea
- Like zinc, elderberry supplementation may reduce the duration and severity of symptoms
Recommended Reading: Does Advil Cold And Sinus Help Sore Throat
How Is Sinus Headache Prevented
If you have reoccurring headaches as a symptom of sinusitis or seasonal allergies, you may need to consider prescription medication to manage the condition.
Lifestyle changes to reduce congestion, like avoiding allergens and incorporating aerobic exercise into your routine, might decrease how many headaches you get.
In cases of chronic sinusitis, a nasal surgery like a balloon sinuplasty might be the only way to stop getting more sinus headaches.
Also Check: Pineapple Juice For Sinus Infection
Treatment For Sinusitis From A Gp
If you have sinusitis, a GP may be able to recommend other medicines to help with your symptoms, such as:
- steroid nasal sprays or drops â to reduce the swelling in your sinuses
- antihistamines â if an allergy is causing your symptoms
- antibiotics â if a bacterial infection is causing your symptoms and you’re very unwell or at risk of complications
You might need to take steroid nasal sprays or drops for a few months. They sometimes cause irritation, sore throats or nosebleeds.
A GP may refer you to an ear, nose and throat specialist if, for example, you:
- still have sinusitis after 3 months of treatment
- keep getting sinusitis
- only have symptoms on 1 side of your face
They may also recommend surgery in some cases.
Remedies And Treatments For Chest Congestion
The common cold and chest congestion are the result of a virus. The only cure for this kind of virus involves resting and waiting for the virus to clear. Antibiotics are only helpful in treating diseases like pneumonia and whooping cough. However, some home remedies and treatments can soothe your aching chest and relieve your symptoms.
Doctors suggest these home remedies for chest congestion:
- Drink plenty of clear fluids to keep your body hydrated and thin the mucus inside your throat and lungs.
- Place a cool-mist vaporizer or humidifier in the room to soothe any lung irritation.
- Sleep with your head propped up on several pillows to make breathing easier and prevent mucus from accumulating in your chest overnight.
- Take a hot shower and breathe in the steam to ease congestion.
- Try an over-the-counter pain reliever like ibuprofen or acetaminophen to ease body aches and reduce fever.
- Use saline drops or nasal spray to alleviate congestion.
- Use lozenges to keep your throat moist.
- Use bronchodilators, which relax the muscles in your lungs and widen your bronchi to make breathing easier. Bronchodilators are often used to treat long-term conditions where your airways become inflamed and narrow, such as asthma.
Symptoms usually start to go away within seven days to two weeks if you donât have an underlying condition like chronic pulmonary disease. Medicines like may also loosen mucus and ease other symptoms.
Don’t Miss: Best Over The Counter Meds For Sinus Infection